Model Cars Magazine Forum

A whole meaning to driving the wheels off your car

Nice to know they've got electric vehicles to take the place of ICE cars. Now if they can only keep from killing us!! :blink:

Good Grief, are you kidding me? How long have they been designing lug nuts? Or are they literally trying to redesign the wheel?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Ok, I've tried to let this hot topic go. But something in the article got me thinking. It's said that Toyota is being criticized for not phasing out internal combustion engine vehicles and going all electric. My question is, where are people living in underdeveloped countries going to buy vehicles? Seriously, I don't see many charging stations being built in places that don't even have electricity. Think about Central and South American countries, or sub Saharan Africa where they have plenty of gas and diesel powered vehicles, but no RELIABLE electric service. There will be a need for ICE powered vehicles for a very long time and I think ANY auto manufacturer who is going all in on electric power is going to be in for a market share hit in the future. The market is still there. I'm not debating the whole ICE vs EV subject. I just think some people live in fantasy land.

Jeff

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goose1957 said:

Ok, I've tried to let this hot topic go. But something in the article got me thinking. It's said that Toyota is being criticized for not phasing out internal combustion engine vehicles and going all electric. My question is, where are people living in underdeveloped countries going to buy vehicles? Seriously, I don't see many charging stations being built in places that don't even have electricity. Think about Central and South American countries, or sub Saharan Africa where they have plenty of gas and diesel powered vehicles, but no RELIABLE electric service. There will be a need for ICE powered vehicles for a very long time and I think ANY auto manufacturer who is going all in on electric power is going to be in for a market share hit in the future. The market is still there. I'm not debating the whole ICE vs EV subject. I just think some people live in fantasy land.

Jeff

I think many people in this do no think beyond our borders.  As you pointed out the solutions for may global problems cannot be applied the same on every continent.  India pollutes 50 times as much plastic waste in the oceans than the US but it’s drummed into our heads if you live within 200 miles of a river or ocean that were are irresponsible and to blame for the polluted waters.

While I believe this thread is related to Toyota, they are one of the last major manufacturers to jump on the ev bandwagon. For the longest time they maintained the hybrids were the way to go to drastically reduce emissions/green house gasses. And it makes sense, you keep ice engines for now while slowly working towards alternates. But suddenly everybody has declared electric is the only way to go and Toyota now has to join in.

2 hours ago, peter31a said:

But suddenly everybody has declared electric is the only way to go and Toyota now has to join in.

It's not everybody, it's just a select few who are preaching the fossil fuel global meltdown and are forcing the rest of us to conform - or else.

Automobile manufacturers are being regulated to be completely energy compliant by 2035 or risk huge penalties and fines.

The mantra used to be gasoline bad. Diesel, nuclear, natural gas, propane, hydrogen and hybrids good. Essentially, anything that was clean burning to reduce emmisions was promoted as acceptable, but somehow in the last couple of years, all those alternatives have become forbidden and it MUST BE electric or else! Nevermind that we don't have the technology to provide completely renewable electricity and probably won't be able to for 30 to 50 years.

You think brown and black outs are inconvenient now? Just wait to see how our electric resources crash when everyone has EV cars and puts a massive overload all at the same time.

Oh by the way, currently our electric power plants still rely heavily on fossil fuels to run, since those same elites have shutdown nuclear plants for many years now.

• Like 1

Hydrogen was up and coming back when Arnold was governor of Kallyfoanya. Now it’s been all but relegated to the dustbin of failed motoring innovations, which is unfortunate because hydrogen is superior to electric in many ways.

Faster refueling time, gas stations could be refitted with hydrogen tanks and pumps (less drastic of a change to infrastructure), less harmful mining for battery materials overseas, no expensive battery to replace every decade or so, and one could even argue that hydrogen is safer. The only advantage that I see with electric would be faster acceleration. 

The best solution for energy needs I could imagine involves hydrogen-powered vehicles, nuclear power plants, hydroponics, and heavy equipment running on biofuel; with gasoline use slowly falling out of favor, not being mandated out of favor. 

20 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

The government just needs to release the cars that run on water they've been hiding from us all these years. 

Sure, then we'll all be dying of thirst!

At least Hydrogen will make water for us, instead of smog. Why haven't they figured that out yet?

It takes a lot of (electrical) energy for the electrolysis process that produces hydrogen. We are again back to the energy problem with electric cars. Unless someone came out with a process which produces hydrogen without using much energy?

15 hours ago, peteski said:

It takes a lot of (electrical) energy for the electrolysis process that produces hydrogen. We are again back to the energy problem with electric cars. Unless someone came out with a process which produces hydrogen without using much energy?

That's not the only way hydrogen is made.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcells/hydrogen-production-processes