Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to remove lug nuts from deep offset wheels

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Do you have access to a lathe?

That'd be the quickest, cleanest way.

You'd have to grind your own cutting tool, but that's SOP in the real world.

I do not, but I believe you posted a kind of sideways scraper blade that might work but I can't find the post it's in.

12 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Does anyone have a good idea of how to remove the molded in lug nuts from a really deep wheel? I don't have anything that will fit in there without damaging the wheel somehow. 

Are you wanting to drill them out as a spare rim or somehow change the number of lug nuts?

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Are you wanting to drill them out as a spare rim or somehow change the number of lug nuts?

I want to change the number of lug nuts. I'd like to make these 4 lug wheels by either removing 4 of the lugs and putting two back in the appropriate location or removing all of them and replacing them with hexagonal rod.

Consider removing the dust cap as well then you could just replace the whole center , I'd imagine a plain old hole punch would be pretty close to the size you'd need which you could add the lugs to before gluing the center back in . 

I'm putting parts together to build a ghetto lathe. I found a socket that the wheel just fits in so a bit of masking take will make it nice and tight. I'm going to use a 3/8" drive adapter in my drill and clamp it to my bench so I can turn the wheel inside the socket and use a 1/8" wide chisel I bought to remove the lugs.