Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Foxy Box Scooby Doo Mystery Machine

A while ago, I bought two of the AMT Foxy Box Chevy Vans. One of them, I’m building as a custom Mystery Machine, from Scooby Doo. I also know how I’m going to be building the other one, I just need to get more tires, like the ones I’m using on this. I also need the one that could be built as a police van, for one part.

F57EC005-3FD8-4D98-B1AD-722852B27D43.jpeg

4197540F-5820-409F-860C-2E45D3CE6509.jpeg

8025D1F1-FC71-45BD-AD57-E2202DE46155.jpeg

35B57013-7364-4D48-999A-F41336586BFA.jpeg

8EF24BCE-0C75-4BC2-82EE-F74D9E079EEF.jpeg

8A6792BD-A475-497D-9AFF-849D12EF58D0.jpeg

8B4324C3-1ECB-4E75-AB4D-C6561BBBEF45.jpeg

Looking forward to watching this build.  I don't know why, but lately I've been obsessed with custom vans.  Mostly GM's, but anything interesting is good.  I just finished (mostly) the AMT Rescue Van kit, but I just built it as a mostly stock van.  I just picked up the AMT Police van, and plan to build it as a mild custom.  Next on the list, I want to try a Revell Chevy van. 

I couldn't get past the flat roof on the Amts so I added some Evergreen styrene strips to simulate the roof ribs these vans had.0.jpeg.24888200c0084f2caa506a86b1ef515b.jpeg

2 hours ago, DANGERUS said:

Looking forward to watching this build.  I don't know why, but lately I've been obsessed with custom vans.  Mostly GM's, but anything interesting is good.  I just finished (mostly) the AMT Rescue Van kit, but I just built it as a mostly stock van.  I just picked up the AMT Police van, and plan to build it as a mild custom.  Next on the list, I want to try a Revell Chevy van. 

I couldn't get past the flat roof on the Amts so I added some Evergreen styrene strips to simulate the roof ribs these vans had.0.jpeg.24888200c0084f2caa506a86b1ef515b.jpeg

Thank You & Cool. I just ordered a few parts from the police Chevy Van, just for the interior divider. I have something cool in mind for that. I just need to somehow get my hands on the roof rack, from the AMT Surfer Van. I’m wanting to turn those into off road light bars for this one and my other one.

Edited by Saltie Olds

I like it!  Will those tires fit with the body in place, or did you say you were planning to make this one a 4x4?  What kit are those wheels and tires from? 

With those tires and bumpers it should have a real mean look.

I just cut the Police Van body down into a short wheelbase van.  It'll be a mild custom with Cragar or similar mags, sidepipes, fender flares, opening hood and shag carpet interior.  Planning to scratchbuild a windshield visor if I can't manage to find one that can be adapted.  I already cut the sunroof hole open, and I may just have to install port hole windows...

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

17 minutes ago, DANGERUS said:

I like it!  Will those tires fit with the body in place, or did you say you were planning to make this one a 4x4?  What kit are those wheels and tires from? 

With those tires and bumpers it should have a real mean look.

Thank You. This one is going to stay a 2wd and my other one will be getting converted to a 4x4. The wheels came in this kit, but the tires came in the Revell Rubicon kit, not the current glue kit, but the previous glue Rubicon kit.

6 minutes ago, DANGERUS said:

I just cut the Police Van body down into a short wheelbase van.  It'll be a mild custom with Cragar or similar mags, sidepipes, fender flares, opening hood and shag carpet interior.  Planning to scratchbuild a windshield visor if I can't manage to find one that can be adapted.  I already cut the sunroof hole open, and I may just have to install port hole windows...

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg

That’s looking good as well. I recently ordered the police rear bumper, cage divider, and a few other parts, only going to be using the cage divider on my next build. Where are you getting the shag carpet from? I’d like to get some in a light blue, close to the blue I’m using on the interior of mine.

5 minutes ago, Saltie Olds said:

Thank You. This one is going to stay a 2wd and my other one will be getting converted to a 4x4. The wheels came in this kit, but the tires came in the Revell Rubicon kit, not the current glue kit, but the previous glue Rubicon kit.

The front tires hit a little bit, but the rear ones clear without issue. I also added some lift to the rear end as well.

49 minutes ago, DANGERUS said:

For shag carpet, I'm planning to play around with some different flocking I bought off Amazon.  It's actually meant for decorating nails, but it comes in many different colours.  Should be fun.

Awesome. I’ll check into that. I’m also going to check into Faux Fur Yarn as well.

That is a cool project!

There are few full size vans around here painted like the Mystery Machine.  One that I see at car shows has a drastically shortened wheelbase. It looks real funny.  Another one is just pained like the Mystery Machine -  it belongs to a local "escapology" business.

4 minutes ago, peteski said:

That is a cool project!

There are few full size vans around here painted like the Mystery Machine.  One that I see at car shows has a drastically shortened wheelbase. It looks real funny.  Another one is just pained like the Mystery Machine -  it belongs to a local "escapology" business.

Thank You & Cool. I’ve been having a lot of fun with this build. I’m glad you’re enjoying the build.