Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Mercedes 500K

unclescott58

Thanks to another builder here (and MCCM member), Khils, I got the front license plate I needed to complete my Jo-Han Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster Limousine kit. Thank you Khils (Kevin). 

This a wonderful kit of the car built specially for the famous Mercedes-Benz race car drive Rudolph Carracciola. Later purchased by the Italian fascist dictator Mussolini for his son in law, whom he later had executed. The car ended up in the U.S. in the early 1950’s. Exchanged hands several times. Restored in the mid-60’s. And has been stored and not seen since sometime in the early 1980’s. It’s really a shame this beautiful car has not been seen in years. Mercedes-Benz has even offered the present owners that they would restore the car for free if they could use in their museum. The owners said no. They will not let anybody see the car. 

Back to the model kit. This is one of Jo-Hans nicer kits. Beautiful detail. It may not be as easy to build as Monogram’s (now Revell’s) Mercedes 540K. But, its really not that much harder to build than the Monogram kit. I had no major problems in assembling the kit. And I think the detail is slightly better. 

I know the Carracciola car did not have the spot light/mirrors up near the “A” pillar. Or the driving lights on the bumper. But, I liked them. And the instructions said to add them. So I did. And I’m pleased with the results. 

19CE4CEA-93C5-4F31-BBEC-B4323ADDFBF7.jpeg

FBD0FF94-EF63-4C91-97CE-AEB2D2409F00.jpeg

44ADC890-12A0-42EE-AEA7-EA2E154D74E8.jpeg

0069F83F-0739-4AA6-B4DC-0C05CC9C8945.jpeg

B4E1EAC4-F8DD-4E07-B69C-EDBA3FD416A7.jpeg

92D76A98-A94D-4B22-B627-849485F9F224.jpeg

18910FB2-0859-4CDF-BD47-5988577B2FBD.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

I built the 500K roadster a few years ago and was blown away by how good that kit was. It still has its own display case instead of being in the cabinet because it turned out so nicely. You did a great job on yours!

They are nice kits. I’m so pleased with how this model turned out, I’m thinking I may have to pickup the roadster next. I’m surprised how many come up on eBay at fairly reasonable prices. 

And thank you for your kind words. 

16 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I got the front license plate I needed to complete my Jo-Han Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster Limousine kit.

You are welcome Scott!  Very nice build!   ... & THX! for the back ground research about its history I had not known.

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I was wondering about this kit, been seeing them on eBay but have resisted because I would wreck it like the 190SL I'm currently building.  Came out nice, gotta have all the lights just because.

If your building the old Revell 190SL, don’t let it stop you from picking up and building the Jo-Han kit. Comparing the two kits is like comparing apples to oranges. The Jo-Han kit in my opinion is by far superior to Revell’s older 190SL kit. 

• Like 1

This kit and the other Mercedes plus the Cadillacs from Jo-han are the top of the retirement list. I did them as a teen and want another go. After about 50 years of modeling they should turn out better.

Nice job, and you clearly did your homework. It's a great, accurate kit made with access to the actual car. As for the Monogram 540K coupe, it's not very accurate, and they just made something resembling the hardtop and plunked it down on their convertible version.

Just now, sjordan2 said:

Nice job, and you clearly did your homework. It's a great, accurate kit made with access to the actual car. As for the Monogram 540K coupe, it's not very accurate, and they just made something resembling the hardtop and plunked it down on their convertible version.

I built the Monogram Cabriolet several years back, and was pleased with how that turned out. As far as their coupe, despite it not being based on a real car, I’ve always liked the looks of it and have considered adding one to my collection someday. I have nothing against “what ifs,” “Phantoms” if they look “right.” 

1 hour ago, GRiN said:

This kit and the other Mercedes plus the Cadillacs from Jo-han are the top of the retirement list. I did them as a teen and want another go. After about 50 years of modeling they should turn out better.

I’m building the Jo-Han ‘31 Cadillac roadster as we speak. I’m not as pleased with it so far as I was with Mercedes. I’ve had a few problems with the rumble seat, and the wheels not fitting with the tires very well. I’m presently debating on whether I should glue the rumble seat open or closed? As the hinges for the seat are just not cooperating on my kit. Surprising the the golf bag doors, though not perfect, fit and work somewhat. I may still be glueing those shut, and rumble seat open. We will see? 

Jo-Han models are our theme for our September 2022 MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) meeting coming up. That’s the main reason for finishing the Mercedes I started a couple of years ago. And finally tackling the Cadillac after having it sit in my pile of kits for several years. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I built the Monogram Cabriolet several years back, and was pleased with how that turned out. As far as their coupe, despite it not being based on a real car, I’ve always liked the looks of it and have considered adding one to my collection someday. I have nothing against “what ifs,” “Phantoms” if they look “right.” 

I'm actually working on the Monogram coupe right now... a 1979 issue I got last week from an eBay seller. It's not as nice as the Jo-han 500K kits, but I'll have fun building a "phantom" 540k coupe with the flush spare tire cover. It's kind of liberating not having to "count rivets" on a build for once!

A small warning here. The first edition kit on the left is superb with little to no flash, seams you can ignore, and is molded in the correct color on shiny plastic that may only require a clear coat. The reissued boxing on the right is molded in bright red, and the one I have is loaded with flash and incomplete plating on some chrome parts.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 12.05.33 PM.png