Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Beetle Wide Body - Scarab

SpikeSchumacher

Hi All,

My first post in a very long time. This is my build of the Tamiya VW Beetle, with the excellent Texas 3D Customs wide body kit (designed by BlackBoxSTL). Done as a curbside. Scratch built a partial roll cage, for all that you can see of it. Added Porsche seats, headlights, and outside mirrors. Paint is Testors Color Shift Emerald Turquoise with Tamiya TS-13 clear, Tamiya TS-40 Metallic Black, and Testors Extreme Lacquer Bronze. Wheels/tires are from Aoshima, as are the decals on the windows. Disc brakes came with the wide body kit. Exhaust tips are 1/8" aluminum tubing painted Tamiya TS-40.

Very well designed, and printed, conversion kit.

Thank for looking,

Mathias

VWWB 1.JPG

VWWB 2.JPG

VWWB 3.JPG

VWWB 4.JPG

VWWB 5.JPG

VWWB 6.JPG

VWWB 7.JPG

• Like 6

The body kit really changes the personality of this Bug. You would have to be packing something from a Porsche in back. The body work and the detailed trim all look very clean, and the wheels look like they belong on this creation. 

• Thanks 1

Love it!

The widebody kit, wheel/tire package, and the paintwork...and the photography's good too!

I'd love to know how BlackBox gets these bodykits to fit so well. It's not easy trying to fit a digital model to the compound curves of a real-world model kit, and digital models aren't always dependably accurate to the 1:1 or shaped the same way the model kit is. Maybe they're 3D scanning the kit bodies somehow? Multiple iterations of test-printing and model revision??

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

Beautiful build. Where did you get the wheels and tires? What scale size are they? 18's, 20's?

Thanks Tom!

IIRC, they are Fujimi "aftermarket" wheels, 18" BBS-style.  They are nicely done with separate centers, sleeves, and multiple colors of decals to accent them with. I just checked on Amazon where I got them originally and this style is no longer listed...

Cheers

2 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

Beautiful build. Where did you get the wheels and tires? What scale size are they? 18's, 20's?

Duh! Helps to re-read my own post... 

Tom the wheels are Aoshima "aftermarket" 20" BBS, link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Aoshima-Tuned-No-25-Plastic-Model/dp/B01MZYHXQX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1KSPAYCN10JDV&keywords=aoshima+wheels&qid=1663281812&sprefix=aoshima%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-2

Cheers