Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Chevrolet Bel Air Is Completed

mrmike

My new project is the Monogram '53 Chevy Bel Air.  This kit was given to me several years ago and I have been thinking about it lately.  This kit has had the body painted already and it is partially foiled by Tim Rhine of the Classic Plastic Model Club who gave me the kit.  I will finish the body and will add some parts from the Monogram '53 Corvette to the engine and wheels and tires from Steve Zimmerman.  The interior will be painted dark red.

More Bel Air to come...

BelAir01.JPG

BelAir02.JPG

BelAir03.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mrmike said:

My new project is the Monogram '53 Chevy Bel Air.  This kit was given to me several years ago and I have been thinking about it lately.  This kit has had the body painted already and it is partially foiled by Tim Rhine of the Classic Plastic Model Club who gave me the kit.  I will finish the body and will add some parts from the Monogram '53 Corvette to the engine and wheels and tires from Steve Zimmerman.  The interior will be painted dark red.

More Bel Air to come...

BelAir02.JPG

Did you recently get those wheels Michael or have them for a while.  Steve Zimmerman last posted on this forum end of last year.

Thanks, guys!

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Did you recently get those wheels Michael or have them for a while.  Steve Zimmerman last posted on this forum end of last year.

I've had those wheels for several years and I wasn't sure where I was going to use them.  Then I thought of this '53 Chevy and I said, "Why not!"

• 4 weeks later...

I worked on the chassis today and during a test fit of the body and the chassis, I discovered that the Corvette induction system I was using wouldn't fit.  I pulled the induction system and the valve cover off and replaced them with the custom pieces from the kit.  I also completed the dash minus the custom reverb which I will install later.  

More Bel Air to come...

BelAir10.JPG

BelAir11.JPG

BelAir12.JPG

• Like 1

The last two days have been spent foiling and I did such a lousy job.  My foil is old and has lost a lot of its adhesive so I have been adding Metal Foil Adhesive before the foil itself.  It should be simple to add, but it looks like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.  I suppose I should break down and by some new foil from the manufacturer, but I hear of issues with that foil as well.  I finished detailing the dash and now onto assembly!

More Bel Air to come...

BelAir13.JPG

BelAir14.JPG

BelAir15.JPG

Thanks David!  I should pick up some new foil, but I will purchase it from the manufacturer instead of some aftermarket resource.  I would say that you got lucky with your purchase.  I should be so lucky...

• mrmike changed the title to 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air Is Completed