Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Chevy Corvair build

Lurch209

So I’m working on this rebuilder I scored off of eBay. I really liked the color I found it in but no luck finding anything exact. I did manage to mix one up somewhat similar that I like & am going with. 

however I’m having a hard time stripping the old paint off. I’ve had it sitting in purple power for two days now with no luck. I’m thinking of using brake fluid but I’m concerned about it being to harsh on the 60 year old plastic. 

ill post more photos as I make progress. 

D19A2C51-0C4D-44A0-A7B8-D17475C6546F.jpeg

5393BF9D-9FCE-4EF1-98E7-F940399A3B4D.jpeg

454800F6-979A-4EE8-B4E9-646CA5218006.jpeg

Edited by Lurch209
  • Like 1

The active ingredient in oven cleaner, (lye) is the same as the purple stuff, but the concentration of that ingredient is higher in Super Clean than it is in Purple Power.

That said, if it’s not having any affect, I suspect that oven cleaner won’t do it either.

You could try some IPA, but I’ve always had my worries that IPA or brake fluid could make the plastic brittle.

At least I’ve heard such concerns from others.

You might want to try Testors ELO.

I have not used it, but I know of others that swear by it.

Just be aware that ELO is not for soaking.

You brush it on and then rinse it off.....hopefully along with the paint. 😊

Steve

• Like 2

I use Super Clean for most strip jobs, too. However, I once soaked an old Johan '62 Dodge in brake fluid for two weeks, and the old paint finally turned loose, and the old styrene didn't suffer any ill effects. If you have an insignificant part from the Corvair that you might not be using, you could try it in the brake fluid and see what happens.

• Like 1

You guys always got the best advice on here. I think I’ll try the ipa on a seat belt that came with the kit, so far the purp isn’t working on exterior or interior painted parts. Thanks Guys👍🏽👍🏽

The suggested brake fluid method can be disastrous on some older plastic kits. You might want to try a sacrificial part in the brake fluid as a test before committing the entire body and interior. I learned the hard way when restoring a '61 Valiant years ago. The brake fluid removed the paint but the chemical reaction with the plastic body turned it into something akin to a potato chip and would crumble whenever I handled the body. Better safe than sorry and just test a small part that can easily be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have steered clear of brake fluid with this model because of its age however I did take a risk dipping it in IPA 91%. So far so good. It’s just taking way longer than anything I’ve used so far. I seen ace hardware had 100% but at $25 a gallon I decided to try the Walgreens stuff. 

I’ve been able to get a lot of it off after sitting in the alcohol with lots of elbow grease. 

CAB8D50F-FEFD-4869-B320-F1BCF891EBEC.jpeg

13 hours ago, Lurch209 said:

What could happen if I primered & painted over the kit like this?

I'd be worried about losing some of the finer engraving details; there seems to be some buildup in the finer nooks and crannies. Now that the heavy paint has been removed, what remains is probably weakened. If it were me, I'd drop the body into a sealable plastic container and saturate it with Easy-Off oven cleaner ( the real stuff, NOT the low odor kind), seal the container and let it sit for a few hours, then (wearing nitrile gloves) attack it with an old toothbrush over a bath of soapy water. I'll bet it comes cleaner.

Edited by bisc63
typos
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

I'd be worried about losing some of the finer engraving details; there seems to be some buildup in the finer nooks and crannies. Now that the heavy paint has been removed, what remains is probably weakened. If it were me, I'd drop the body into a sealable plastic container and saturate it with Easy-Off oven cleaner ( the real stuff, NOT the low odor kind), seal the container and let it sit for a few hours, then (wearing nitrile gloves) attack it with an old toothbrush over a bath of soapy water. I'll bet it comes cleaner.

I have some of that. I believe the stuff in the yellow can. I’m going to test it on the seatbelts first to make sure it’s safe.👍🏽👍🏽

Just so that everyone knows, there is no "miracle" ingredient in all of these different cleaners/degreasers, ie Super Clean, Purple Power, Simple Green, Easy Off, and the above mentioned Dawn Power Dissolver.

They all contain the exact same active ingredient, which is "Sodium Hydroxide" (also known as caustic soda, or lye)

The only real difference being the concentration of the active ingredient.

Basically, if Super Clean doesn't work for the job at hand, none of the others are likely to do any better.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on purchasing a bunch of products that are essentially the same if one isn't doing the job for you.

At this point Francisco, If it were mine, I would get some Testors ELO to finish removing the remainder of the paint.

I personally have not had the need to resort to using ELO myself, but know a few guys that say it will basically remove anything, and I have no reason to believe that they would steer me wrong.

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just so that everyone knows, there is no "miracle" ingredient in all of these different cleaners/degreasers, ie Super Clean, Purple Power, Simple Green, Easy Off, and the above mentioned Dawn Power Dissolver.

They all contain the exact same active ingredient, which is "Sodium Hydroxide" (also known as caustic soda, or lye)

The only real difference being the concentration of the active ingredient.

Basically, if Super Clean doesn't work for the job at hand, none of the others are likely to do any better.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on purchasing a bunch of products that are essentially the same if one isn't doing the job for you.

At this point Francisco, If it were mine, I would get some Testors ELO to finish removing the remainder of the paint.

I personally have not had the need to resort to using ELO myself, but know a few guys that say it will basically remove anything, and I have no reason to believe that they would steer me wrong.

Steve

Oooops , Sorry Steve , 

I forgot yours is thee last word, out of respect i removed my post 

Edited by von Zipper

3 hours ago, von Zipper said:

Oooops , Sorry Steve , 

I forgot yours is thee last word, out of respect i removed my post 

🙄 Sorry.

I wasn’t aware that you owned stock in the company.

I just thought that the OP might be interested in some information and actual alternatives that might produce results rather than just a series of posts suggesting essentially the same product with a dozen different labels on the bottle.

My recommendation is always Super Clean, but if it doesn’t work, it would be a little counter productive of me to suggest Purple Power.

Steve

45 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

🙄 Sorry.

I wasn’t aware that you owned stock in the company.

I just thought that the OP might be interested in some information and actual alternatives that might produce results rather than just a series of posts suggesting essentially the same product with a dozen different labels on the bottle.

My recommendation is always Super Clean, but if it doesn’t work, it would be a little counter productive of me to suggest Purple Power.

Steve

Hey , I apologized and deleted my comments and admitted you were right.....you're always right

and i'll apologize for trying to join in a conversation after you have spoken

what more do you want ? 

you made your point =move on

49 minutes ago, von Zipper said:

Hey , I apologized and deleted my comments and admitted you were right.....you're always right

and i'll apologize for trying to join in a conversation after you have spoken

what more do you want ? 

you made your point =move on

Okay then.

Apology accepted. 🥱

Steve

I have been using this product for a few years and have had very good results 

Dawn Professional Cleaner,Dawn,Dslvr 6/32oz 56037, 1 - Kroger

20 hours ago, Lurch209 said:

Thank you. Have you used it on an oooold kit? If so was the plastic fine after?

This Corvair is the same vintage as yours and it came out fine

M8vDhR8.jpg

qJRpA5V.jpg