Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford P/U with a Weaver Auto Crane

The basic pickup has great looking paint work and I like the "stock" appearance. The crane and the details in the bed are exceptional looking. Great attention to details, like the mounting bolts for the crane. Can only imagine what it must have been like to pick up a car doing this by hand. 

2 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Awesome work!

I've been working on a Weaver crane design to print in 3D since the beginning of the year and got as far as the boom angle using estimated lengths.

How did you come up with the measurements for the A-frame?

I worked from photos and tried to copy the location of height from the cab.  I made the width of the frame 40 mm and squared it off.  The boom is just eyeballed and might be a little long.  What do you think?

23 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I worked from photos and tried to copy the location of height from the cab.  I made the width of the frame 40 mm and squared it off.  The boom is just eyeballed and might be a little long.  What do you think?

Thanks for the explanation.

I think yours looks reasonably accurate. I used the attached pic myself to calculate the boom length, and looking at the drawing with it in the truck bed, yours looks pretty close if not spot on.

Weaver-Brochure-Auto-Crane-1927.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

On 6/26/2022 at 11:07 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

This dusty glue bomb was restored to working status with a brass Weaver Auto Crane.

Nice brass work! And the crane actually works...  Nice save on the dusty glue bomb.

A simple save turned into an exponential transformation! Once again skill. creativity and attention to detail make for a museum quality replica, so inspiring yo see what can be done with a simple kit like this (I've started one, long ago), and a glue bomb at that, amazing, thanks for sharing 

54 minutes ago, hct728(Bob) said:

A simple save turned into an exponential transformation! Once again skill. creativity and attention to detail make for a museum quality replica, so inspiring to see what can be done with a simple kit like this (I've started one, long ago), and a glue bomb at that, amazing, thanks for sharing 

You are welcome!  It was a nice break to do something relatively simple for a change.  No particular details to replicate, just some ideas that might have been the thing to do back in the day.  It was fun to get back into the building mode again.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, MeatMan said:

Awesome work!

I've been working on a Weaver crane design to print in 3D since the beginning of the year and got as far as the boom angle using estimated lengths.

How did you come up with the measurements for the A-frame?

Search the web for Weaver Auto Crane. There's actually quite a bit of info out there.