Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bagged 1995 GMC Sonoma

I've been on a rampage lately taking butchered and incomplete kits and disposing of the spare parts the fun way. Case in point- this thing. I had robbed the chassis for a custom project, but that left me with a mostly intact Sonoma, or at least the visible upper parts. So now it's a curbside built to represent a bagged mini truck "aired out" and sitting on the rockers.

I used Testors One Coat paints to duplicate the purple/charcoal paint scheme an awful lot of these trucks seemed to be painted back in the day. The kit has molded S10 rub strips, which I left in place because I liked the look better than the stripes the GMC had. And I had my doubts about the 27 year old Ertl decals being viable anyway. That and I'm lazy and didn't want to shave and sand the rockers. Wheels and tires came from an S10 Xtreme and were color matched to the truck. I opened the grille by removing material from the back, even though AMT really screwed up the look of the grilles on these trucks... my what big eyes it has! I foiled the lenses from behind to hide the BMW-like look the kit reflectors have going. 

Other than the rolling stock the only other non stock part is the tonneau cover, taken from a '93 Ranger. It was a fun, quick curbside project and It allowed me to use the rest of this parts donor kit for something constructive. And having the modified body gave the the opportunity to mock up a couple of frames for future full detail projects, so all in all it was also kind of a purposeful project in the end.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Great looking build. Whatever you may feal it lacks in chassis detail it sure makes up for it in appearance. The paint finish looks great, and the trim fits the look well. Cleanly detailed looking body.