Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about material in #214: accuracy?


Recommended Posts

Roger; you and I make mistakes, and no one said anything about a world ending -- even if he 'shoots from the him'.  As a consumer of printed information (which is supposed to be minimally informative, I guess; I pay for it) one could ask for accuracy.  To me -- old guy stuff, I know -- the printed word has a sort of sacredness about it; just a hang-up I acquired.  Blogs, forum posts, conversations in bars and other places of like stature, maybe not so much.  Don't you want what you read in a mag like MCM, which must purport to be an authority, to be quote-able with some reliability?  Some of us do.  I can excuse in-accuracies, but like to have them acknowledged.

Now, I like urban legends, bench racing tales, hangar stories and so forth, but one takes them with a grain of salt.  You may not love teachers, but a good teacher when confronted by a student question (or even one from a less-experienced cohort) to which he/she doesn't KNOW the answer should admit it ("I don't know") and suggest the remedy ("Let's find out the answer!"), which hopefully educates both learners.  At least that's what I got; root out the facts, and maybe 'the truth will set you free".  Oh, and not to be too persnickity, but for over three-quarters of a century, I've HAD a life.  Hoping for a bit more, too!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can excuse in-accuracies,"

 

I missed the hyphen again. Is this a USA thing? I cannot find it anywhere. 

inaccuracy

 (redirected from inaccuracies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.

in·ac·cu·ra·cy

  (ĭn-ăk′yər-ə-sē)
n. pl. in·ac·cu·ra·cies
1. The quality or condition of being inaccurate.
2. An instance of being inaccurate; an error.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Michael Bentt said:

Billiam Corning:

I typically don't post 9 times/day (that was you today total)...It seems people have much more leisure time in Georgia USA...

Good to see you reserve the use of your  apparently limited leisure time for the really important stuff, like counting people's posts.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, it strikes me as comical that I should be ridiculed for excessive posting by someone who, in almost the same breath, had earlier been accusing me of being "troubled" and "bothered" by technology.

See Michael, I have these little magic boxes I carry around that let me take a moment here and there during the day, while having coffee or lunch or chasing parts online for instance, to look in to see what participants in my third-favorite hobby are up to.

One final point from me: you say "The world of model car building is not exactly a raging cauldron of activity here in Europe".

Well sir, what y'all may lack in quantity, you certainly make up for it in quality. Some of the European builders who post their work on this forum are among the best on the planet. I notice we haven't been graced by any of yours. Why not? This is a site primarily about model cars, n'est-ce pas?

It's a curious phenomenon that so many "modelers" who seem to delight in criticizing me personally don't seem to take equal delight in actually building models...or have nothing to show here, at any rate.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow!

We have made the evolutionary jump from “maybe someday MCM will get back on track” to complaining about cotter pins!

 

Uh, Tom...the issue isn't "cotter pins".

The issue isn't even the definitions of clevis pins and cotter pins, or the fact that they're entirely different in form and function. 

The issue is the responsibility of people who use technical terms to use them correctly, and the responsibility of anyone presenting himself as an "expert" or "authority" to self-fact-check prior to publication.

I've made my share of mistakes, and when I do, I appreciate being corrected with the actual fact(s).

The truth is important, even in small things. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good to see you reserve the use of your  apparently limited leisure time for the really important stuff, like counting people's posts.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, it strikes me as comical that I should be ridiculed for excessive posting by someone who, in almost the same breath, had earlier been accusing me of being "troubled" and "bothered" by technology.

See Michael, I have these little magic boxes I carry around that let me take a moment here and there during the day, while having coffee or lunch or chasing parts online for instance, to look in to see what participants in my third-favorite hobby are up to.

One final point from me: you say "The world of model car building is not exactly a raging cauldron of activity here in Europe".

Well sir, what y'all may lack in quantity, you certainly make up for it in quality. Some of the European builders who post their work on this forum are among the best on the planet. I notice we haven't been graced by any of yours. Why not? This is a site primarily about model cars, n'est-ce pas?

It's a curious phenomenon that so many "modelers" who seem to delight in criticizing me personally don't seem to take equal delight in actually building models...or have nothing to show here, at any rate.  ;)

First, you clearly didn't read one of my earlier posts which discussed my models and tools are in storage after a series of moves. My apology for not meeting your expectation (demand?) about posting model content to the Ace-Garageguy standards. I must have missed those in the forum rules. I am curious, do you own this site? Did they appoint you the rules enforcer to tell everyone what they can/cannot say? If so that should be stated in the forum general information section, but I do not see that fact.

Speaking of: The whole reason I looked at your posts and could easily count the number you had that day was curiosity if you ever built anything. Seems if you care to cast stones it should apply more than equally to you. Maybe you finished a model once, but if so it was hundreds and hundreds of posts back. Seems like there is so much that "irked" you it takes up all your time. Good day.  I'm sure by now something has angered you about today's society, technology, or something you will need to share here, as you say, on a site primarily about model cars for most people but not for the easily "irked."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, W Humble said:

Danno, it was >gasp!< another typo.  I haven't been able to enlarge the font on this blog so far, and I have big probs reading what is on the screen, much as I have with building my models now.  I'm almost 77, and not everything works as it used to -- very contrite, but...  Let's hope you never get old and enfeebled, and make no typos, much less mistakes, huh?  It was NOT a sexist statement, as I am sure you know; '...shoot from the hip, hip, hip'.  I built my first kits in second grade, which was 1952 (again, no typo!], an Aurora 'Famous Fighters' Curtiss P-40 (F-series, if I'm not mistaken), followed by the Revell 'Highway Pioneers' kits -- which my dad and I pretended were for him -- and which you may have missed?  Fasten the wheels with a screwdriver blade heated in a candle flame, etc.?

In 30-years of my Z-Car restoration book, no one has ever written me or the publisher re: any errors.  I am proud of that.  Also, that it is coming out, hopefully this year, in a revised edition, thus will be in print constantly since 1991.  I DO type with eight fingers, even yet, not two thumbs!  

Sorry to be so long-winderd but that's another penalty of living so long; I don't have many pals left with which to talk models.  Thank goodness for MCM forums! 

Well, I hope that ends this strand!  WICK

Hey Wick,

If you are using Chrome of Firefox to view this forum, you can easily enlarge the screen (text and graphics) by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the plus key however many times you wish to increase the size of whatever you are viewing in your internet browser, I have not tested this in microsoft edge (I don't use it), to undue size changes, hold down the ctrl key and press the minus key as many times as you wish to shrink the screen.

(I make no guarantees as to how this may affect anything else on your computer, nor any issues caused by operator error)

(sometimes I typo on purpose)

(your mileage may very)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Michael Bentt

You seem to have pretty "big mouth" for someone with 27 posts under your belt.  That is not very nice.  You not have much future on this forum. (No this is not a threat - just an  observation)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@W Humble

Wick,

I seem some confusion in how you are being addressed on the forum.  Your first name is James, but you like to be addressed as Wick.  Yet, nowhere in your profile I see "Wick" mentioned, although you sometimes you sign your posts as "Wick".   If I may suggest, why not edit your profile, and add a signature?  Just Wick" should be enough.  That way "Wick"  will be automatically added on the bottom of your every post.

To edit your profile (assuming you are using a PC, not a tablet or phone), right-click on the little arrow to the right of your forum name (upper right hand side of the Web page), then in select "Account Settings" from the menu that pops up.  On the next screen select "Signature" on the left hand side.  Then type in what you want to appear in your signature, and click on 'Save".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, peteski said:

@Michael Bentt

You seem to have pretty "big mouth" for someone with 27 posts under your belt.  That is not very nice.  You not have much future on this forum. (No this is not a threat - just an  observation)

Thank you for your very kind not threat. I will take it in the spirit it was clearly intended. Notice that WIlliam said I accused him of "posting excessively." I merely pointed out how many times he posted in a day. It was his judgement that deemed that number excessive not mine. Perhaps he came to this opinion after some self reflection. People should read what is typed, not go into victim think because they look for offense at every turn. I have been accused of being hypocritical in comment above  (I accused no person of anything but rather repeated what they said back to them or observed their actual deeds with zero judgement), and it is deemed an attack. I find this curious. You accuse others of what you do yourself, it seems if you are one of the golden goose posters here. If you look at that mere 27 post count, most are congratulations for work well done, or remembrance of kits built long ago. 

While I have been in this hobby off/on for many years, i enjoy the hobby publications when I can get them going back to Airfix Magazine, Tamiya, the old Scale Auto Enthusiast, Scale Auto Modeler (UK based). All were a great way to stay in touch with the hobby during long times of not being able to build for one reason or other. Expecting enthusiast magazines like this to be held to world class journalistic standards is foolish to me. Arguing about clevis and cotter pins? If a model is detailed to that level, why not celebrate the craftsmanship that even allows that foolish discussion instead of having it. 

You may be right in an ironic sense. I am seeing here the forum is dominated by people who want to argue and nit-pick grammar but bristle when held to the same standard. Other than the people who use this forum as a platform to complain about how things were better years ago when the world fit them better, the model discussion takes a second chair. The same for being shown they are doing the same things to others they shout out and accuse wrongdoing that is made up by their paranoia and feeling of a closing-in world. 

It is really not that bad, I have to trust, that people do not need to bring the bunker mentality that is shown here so much.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Michael Bentt said:

It is really not that bad, I have to trust, that people do not need to bring the bunker mentality that is shown here so much.

This forum seems to work quite well, and it generates a lot of traffic.  Other than in this thread, where else you have seen grammar being nitpicked?  Most of the posts on the forums here are actually quite useful and informative.  If you think things are so bad here, when not leave?

You also seemed to be judging me.  So how many of my over 6,000 posts have you read, to know just what kind of modeler, or a person I am?  You must have lots of spare time to be able to go through people's posting history?  You seem to be the one with "bunker mentality" (whatever that means).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, peteski said:

This forum seems to work quite well, and it generates a lot of traffic.  Other than in this thread, where else you have seen grammar being nitpicked?  Most of the posts on the forums here are actually quite useful and informative.  If you think things are so bad here, when not leave?

You also seemed to be judging me.  So how many of my over 6,000 posts have you read, to know just what kind of modeler, or a person I am?  You must have lots of spare time to be able to go through people's posting history?  You seem to be the one with "bunker mentality" (whatever that means).

With all due honesty I had never noticed your posting (6000 or not) before you decided to engage me here. I don't know what kind of modeler or person you are. I had not even taken notice of you before. I am sure you are usually nice and welcoming to others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Xingu said:

Everyone needs to stop counting posts. Please go back to counting rivets.

But if we don't count the posts, how will we know when we've gone too far? 😉

Road Infrastructure | ASCE's 2021 Infrastructure Report Card

Edited by Can-Con
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...