Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1936 Ford 3 window traditional Custom.

alan barton

I have been building very complex models over the last few years with lots of bodywork so I really felt like taking it easy and doing a simple box stock build.  Almost.  This is about as close as I get to box stock!

It was built from the recent re-issue and used mostly parts from the box, the exceptions being flipper hubcaps and ripple bumpers from the AMT 40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit, the custom headlights and grille, plus my obligatory right hand drive conversion.

The headlights started out as the chromed conical tips from two ballpoint pens and the grille is the custom Buick unit from the AMT 57 Chevy, trimmed to fit the elongated opening of the kits custom grille shell.

It is basically stock running gear but I dropped the rear as far as it would go without major surgery and used some bits of sheet styrene to convert the single carb manifold into duals.

Paint is Tamiya Metallic Red over Tamiya flat black topped with about three coats of Tamiya clear gloss, all straight from the spray can.  I was a Testors fan forever but as it is no longer available in Australia I am slowly developing my skills on the Tamiya paint - it does require a different approach to what I am used to.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Alan

001.JPG

026.JPG

May Photos 075.JPG

Edited by alan barton
  • Like 6

Beautiful work!

Funny, I have a '36 kit stashed away with a selection of parts including the flipper caps and ribbed bumpers, waiting to become something like this...but I hadn't considered trimming down the Buick grille from the AMT '57 to create a LaSalle-style unit. Clever!

Thanks Bob, Paul and Mario. And Chris, I would love to take credit but I am pretty sure that I got the idea for the grille from a model I saw here years ago! And now that I look at it, I remember that while I INTENDED to use the ripple bumpers, I ended up using the stock forty bumpers instead!  I was going for a very simple look on this custom.  You just have to massage the bumper irons with the heat of your fingers to get them to fit the 40 bumpers nicely.

Thanks everyone, glad you like it.

Cheers

Alan

• 1 month later...

Really nice looking custom. I love the subtle changes you have made and paint is perfect for the car. 

I personally think that Tamiya make some of the best hobby products ever, if not THE best. I just hate their white primer, which has attempted to ruin quite few paint jobs for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, your comments mean a great deal to me!  Whilst it is somewhat of a "formula" car, I love it for the era it represents.  My model rod and custom collection is quite extensive and I try to include models from every era from the thirties to the current day - this one definitely filled a gap!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Bill.  From a tip I got here a few years ago, I carefully sliced the cowl panel free of the firewall and then shimmed it out with thin styrene until all the swage lines were in alignment.  Fiddly but well worth it.  The other thing I do is tack glue the top to the body with tiny drops of tube glue and when that is dry, run liquid glue along the back of the seam in an attempt to avoid boogering up the outer surfaces.  Nerve-wracking but it worked for me.

Cheers

Alan