Model Cars Magazine Forum

at what point is too long to wait for something to be shipped

MrMiles

Hi

I ordered something from an online store that was very, very expensive (1300 dollars). the company is reputable, but i am getting terrible customer service and the product hasnt shipped yet in 9 days on something that says ships within 2 days. 

I bought it on sunday, june 19th, and it says ships within 2 days. On friday, i called, and it took 3 attempts before actually being able to speak with someone. the 2 times prior it would put me on hold, tell me i was next in line and then 30 minutes of being on hold it said nobody is available to help you, call later.  i eventually got someone and they said that it looks like some kind of an issue because the order is processed and billed, but never shipped. They will need to contact the warehouse and will email me monday. 

I didn't hear anything on monday mid-day, and i called again. i happened to get the same person, he said very rudely, that i told you they dont work the weekends, but now he is saying wait until tuesday.  i tried to ask them to cancel the order and they told me no, that they cant. 

at what point do i wait before calling my credit card company and ask for a chargeback for non shipment?  

I would check with the card company to ensure what your rights are and if I'm covered, quickly move to cancel the order.

Also, make a screen print of any promises on their order page/website regarding ship dates, and any email notifications you may have received. Just to have some evidence in case it needed.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I

14 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

I would check with the card company to ensure what your rights are and if I'm covered, quickly move to cancel the order.

Also, make a screen print of any promises on their order page/website regarding ship dates, and any email notifications you may have received. Just to have some evidence in case it needed.

Good luck!

I agree.

Have they billed your card already?

I would call the company today. If they can not provide a tracking number today then I will investigate canceling the order. If they say 2 days then they need to contact you if they have a problem you shouldn't have to call them.

I would also request a small discount on the product for this inconvenience. 

Finally if you do have to cancel I would post negative feedback for the company for poor communication and poor customer service.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ordered a not exactly cheap watch from a well-known online watch retailer a few months back. They never updated my order status or marked it shipped and after a week or so I started getting a bit angry about it. I was unable to get anyone in customer service either by email or phone. That night I came home from work and the watch was on my front step and the site still didn't show any updates. The next day, while wearing the watch, I received the email notification that my order had shipped!

1 hour ago, jaymcminn said:

I ordered a not exactly cheap watch from a well-known online watch retailer a few months back. They never updated my order status or marked it shipped and after a week or so I started getting a bit angry about it. I was unable to get anyone in customer service either by email or phone. That night I came home from work and the watch was on my front step and the site still didn't show any updates. The next day, while wearing the watch, I received the email notification that my order had shipped!

unfortunately for me, they have confirmed it hasnt shipped. they just cant tell me why it hasnt. they said it should have shipped a week ago

I don't have patience for this type of thing anymore. My credit card company has been real good in the past about any bogus charges and/or situations like this when I request the payment be denied. Your situation seems a bit sticky but I would do whatever I could to stop the charges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrMiles said:

i opened a dispute. they said someone will review it within 5 days, and i guess if it hasnt shipped in 5 additional days, i will be refunded, but they said 90 days total for dispute to be finalized. 

90 days to finalize a dispute is totally nuts. It shouldn't have to take that long.

• Like 1

i am going to be honest, i would be fine with it being delayed if they said to me, they are overwhelmed and understaffed, but they will get it to you, they are backed up x amount of days.  all i am being told is that it should have shipped and they dont know why it hasnt and i will have an answer monday, which was 2 days ago, which never came. additionally, there is no manager to speak to for an escalation. also, it is hit or miss if you can get through to speak with them. you have exactly 30 minutes to be on hold, after that they say there is no one to help at this time, and hang up, no option to continue to wait.

they have told me they are not getting a response from the warehouse. i looked online, and they have a specific amount of time to respond to the credit card company with a tracking number or i will get my refund. at 5 days if there is no response it will come off my card. i think the 90 days is if they ship it within the 90 days, then i will be billed. im not sure.  i would prefer the item, but a refund is fine as well. the item is only sold at this store, as it is an exclusive. i really want it, but i am not willing to risk this much money. i am not rich, where i can just say, meh, it will eventually come...maybe. 

i also try to keep a 0 balance on my credit card after finally paying it off years ago from my younger days of immaturity and not understanding debt. i dont want to pay this off, and then it never arrive, or have the credit card put me into positive/mail me a check. 

Edited by MrMiles
  • Like 1

I agree.

If the company says it ships in 2 days they need to communicate if there is an issue , the customer should not have to chase down what's happening.

Second don't charge the customer till product is going out the door. The clock for the time period for one to pay without charges when that charge occurs. The product has been sitting in limbo for a week now.

Unfortunately this is the norm for how businesses are being run these days.

i called customer service again and i happened to get someone that actually didnt just tell me to take a walk.  she told me that my order is in the first stage, where my item is allocated, then it will be picked and then shipped.  she said realistically it will be 2 more weeks before it ships.

honestly, if i had heard that earlier, i wouldnt have been concerned, i understand delays. hearing it should have shipped, but i dont know why it didn't and someone will email you, and then the email never arrives is what had me worried. 

i dont know what happen with the chargeback, if it will go through and my order is cancelled or if they will allow the answer of what i was told today. what i do know, i cant cancel the chargeback because you cant make it again.

i guess i will see what happens next

Just throwing this out there. It may be possible that considering the cost of the item- $1,300- the retailer waits for people to order them and then places an order with their supplier to either drop ship the item or to ship it to the retailer for them to turn around and ship. If that is the case, shame on them for not being upfront with you.

The company I work for does drop shipments on products that cost $3,000+ for a large auto parts chain and their customers know it is not something that is stocked at any of the retailers locations.

On 6/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, mikemodeler said:

Just throwing this out there. It may be possible that considering the cost of the item- $1,300- the retailer waits for people to order them and then places an order with their supplier to either drop ship the item or to ship it to the retailer for them to turn around and ship. If that is the case, shame on them for not being upfront with you.

The company I work for does drop shipments on products that cost $3,000+ for a large auto parts chain and their customers know it is not something that is stocked at any of the retailers locations.

If that was the case, then this company should never promise shipping in 2 days. False advertising and very bad business. 

• Like 1

i am still waiting on either the credit card company to remove the money or the shipper to send it. It has been almost 3 weeks now since i placed the order 

however, i did notice that they no longer list the item as shipped within 2 days. it no longer gives a shipment time. however, i have a screenshot of it, per the recommendation here, that shows the 2 days. 

Edited by MrMiles

14 hours ago, MrMiles said:

however, i did notice that they no longer list the item as shipped within 2 days. it no longer gives a shipment time. however, i have a screenshot of it, per the recommendation here, that shows the 2 days. 

Very smart! 👍

I got a shipping notice today but when I track it the package just says label created. However this brings me hope that it's actually arriving...

I'm not calling the cc company to tell them until it's in my hands and I see it's undamaged 

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Label created but it could be several days before really shipping.

I just tracked it and it has been picked up by FedEx and is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. 

Now I'm getting really excited. This is something I have wanted for a year but thought it was too expensive. I finally convinced myself to buy it.