Model Cars Magazine Forum

Live a Little, Love a Little - Meyers Manx

spencer1984

Built from Round 2's "Silver Screen Machines" release of the Meyers Manx with the Elvis-themed box art and included movie poster. Silly as it was I decided to go with the chrome engine, giving the block/transmission a shot of Smoke clear to tone down the plastic-iness and repairing all the sprue attachment points with BMF or Molotow to make it look like everything had been polished or given a dress-up kit. It has a slightly modified roll bar and parts box steering wheel, tires, and hubcaps, everything else is straight out of the box. A full writeup is available here, and as always any comments/criticisms are welcome!

elvis-manx-01.jpg.402f67964734191c2360c3f5b04616e4.jpg

elvis-manx-02.jpg.20e30227b283ff177e8a1ce1483e86e7.jpg

elvis-manx-03.jpg.046314cb5d3209a30f2e2f31edad1b2e.jpg

elvis-manx-04.jpg.adafce8cbd304348dd2ae8da7f8e2a5b.jpg

With my Elvis-themed diecasts:

elvis-manx-05.jpg.b62e1fa6178902cb118c7d7a3285670b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Great looking Manx Bill !  I don't have any problem with the chrome engine , it looks good like that . And that color is really nice , what is it ?

Thanks! It's all Tamiya: Chrome Yellow over their pink primer, then hit with gloss clear.

25 minutes ago, David G. said:

Yellow is a great color for these buggies Bill!

I really like the way the chrome on the engine turned out. The smoke clear you used, was that acrylic or lacquer?

BTW, I did mine in yellow too.

Manx_6_07.jpg.065e5a5b26af3c8dde5cd9f22e8cbc92.jpg

David G.

That looks awesome, the top and decals really fit the Manx nicely!

It was Tamiya's TS-71 smoke clear, just a quick light coat right out of the can after it was assembled.

Great looking buggy. The chrome engine bit was pretty common for one of these that someone was dressing up. The engine cooling cover along with the valve covers were often chromed as well as the air cleaner. These were all parts that were easily removed and chromed along with pullies and all depending on the depth of your wallet. Your build well represents how many were done and looks cleanly put together. 

Thanks, guys!

11 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking buggy. The chrome engine bit was pretty common for one of these that someone was dressing up. The engine cooling cover along with the valve covers were often chromed as well as the air cleaner. These were all parts that were easily removed and chromed along with pullies and all depending on the depth of your wallet. Your build well represents how many were done and looks cleanly put together. 

That was kind of my thought...I was originally going to go the strip-and-repaint route, but decided to lean into the chrome look instead. Kind ofa fun change of pace.

9 hours ago, Gustavo Reis said:

Very cool model. I also assembled the same kit with modifications to look like the one in the movie.20181108_171822.thumb.jpg.8d960759ea4adbfcfaa8da31556ff748.jpg20181108_171827.thumb.jpg.da0a7e139177865126fdbb1c2351a6f3.jpg

Looks good! I may still go back and add the fender lights, but otherwise the steering wheel was the only change I made to bring it closer to movie spec. I figured most of it was close enough to get the right feel.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

That looks awesome, the top and decals really fit the Manx nicely!

It was Tamiya's TS-71 smoke clear, just a quick light coat right out of the can after it was assembled.

Thanks!

I'll have to experiment a bit with that, I really like the effect.

David G.

Thanks guys!

19 minutes ago, David G. said:

I'll have to experiment a bit with that, I really like the effect.

I've been trying more options with layering Tamiya paints over the last year, and have found some interesting results. They're a lot more versatile than I expected.

600x300.jpg.2109651f7783416b377caea872e977b3.jpg
This is one of my favorite recent trials: all four are painted TS-8, just prepped differently.

Thanks guys!

On 7/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool and great results from a fidley kit!  On my bucket list to own a 1:1 some day.

I don’t know if folks know modeler Dave Carnevale. His 1:1 blue Manx was recently destroyed in a garage fire. Very sad!

I did see that, sad indeed! My own "bucket list" car is a Caterham Seven, much like the Manx they're a cool little ride with little practical use.