Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Chevrolet Cabriolet....Traditional-ish...Update 7/23/22

Plowboy

So far this year, I've fizzled out on five projects. Squirrel! That seems to be my issue.

Anyway, I've had this idea in my head for years. Everyone and their brother, sister, aunt and uncle has built a '32 Ford at some point. But, what about a Chevy? Nope! You rarely see them. Even the full scale is poorly represented. I like different cars and prefer them over the usual. So, this model should be a perfect fit. We'll see.

After mulling over how I wanted to build it, I decided to take the simple approach and build something that could have been around in the '60s or early '70s. Hence the traditional-ish. About the only changes I'm going to make are going to be simple. I hope. I have bad luck with making a lot of changes to a '30s model. So, I'm to try to restrain from making big changes. I definitely want a SBC in place of the six cylinder. Haven't decided what transmission I'll use. I want it have three two barrel carbs and the rams horn manifolds. Right now, I'm drawing a blank on where to come up with the intake and carbs. So, if anyone knows, please clue me in! 

So far, I've been cleaning up the chassis and assembling it to get the stance set. It still needs work as the photos show. I had to get rid of the spare tire wells on the fenders. I also clipped off the cowl lights from the firewall piece. Kinda surprised that the firewall is chromed. I'll get it stripped ASAP so that I can glue it to the body. I have the tires picked out. The current wheels may or may not make the cut. The rear is right where I want it. But, I've got to lower the front and that's going to take some work. I'm going to attempt to keep the poseable steering. But, willing to sacrifice it.

20220629_122712-1.jpg.03d6391a86d29ce2c3e8124f0861a438.jpg

Much better without the spare tire wells!

20220629_122745-1.jpg.94028684f2a4de4be9b3b01613369a48.jpg

I think I'll make a trunk for the rear instead of a rumble seat. Or I may keep it.

20220629_122822-1.jpg.0a1ad56db4035842193178f51d914357.jpg

I'm also undecided about the bumpers on whether to keep or can them. 

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 2

Always liked the 32 Chevy but never got my hands on the kit. I DO have a couple of Hubley/Gabriel metal 32 Chevy's which will be under construction soon. Following the good looking street rod build of yours in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Glad someone else has an interest in the 32 Chevy's

With all the huge interest in the 32 Ford, seems natural to have lots of 32 Chevy's available in kits. 

Would love to do a 32 Chevy fenderlss highboy with a dual quad 409. Oh yeah!

Me too! I may do a fender less highboy later on. I was thinking about doing that with this model. But, that modification wasn't going to be as simple as I thought it would be. One thing that really messed up the look is the parallel leaf springs. They just don't look "right" being exposed IMO.

Here's my problem with lowering the front end. That crossmember is in the way.

20220629_140420-1.jpg.acc99edff838547cf36690726865cb83.jpg

Since the only purpose it serves at the moment is mounting the six cylinder, it can go. That's the plan anyway. I think I'll have to change the way the axle is mounted. Looks like I'll have to do an axle over conversion and probably have to raise the springs or re-arch them. This could get tricky!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Me too! I may do a fender less highboy later on. I was thinking about doing that with this model. But, that modification wasn't going to be as simple as I thought it would be. One thing that really messed up the look is the parallel leaf springs. They just don't look "right" being exposed IMO.

Here's my problem with lowering the front end. That crossmember is in the way.

20220629_140420-1.jpg.acc99edff838547cf36690726865cb83.jpg

Since the only purpose it serves at the moment is mounting the six cylinder, it can go. That's the plan anyway. I think I'll have to change the way the axle is mounted. Looks like I'll have to do an axle over conversion and probably have to raise the springs or re-arch them. This could get tricky!  

Move the springs on the outside of the frame rails, notch the frame and go wit a different axle. At that point the front will be in the weeds. And if you are using a front bumper you can use it to create the illusion of even lower front. I personally would go to the wheel/tire setup from the original issue of the Revell ‘32 Roadster. That would help you with the stance dramatically. 
  And if you want the SBC complete with the intake and all the dress up chrome from the ‘30 coupe, I can send you one. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mrm said:

Move the springs on the outside of the frame rails, notch the frame and go wit a different axle. At that point the front will be in the weeds. And if you are using a front bumper you can use it to create the illusion of even lower front. I personally would go to the wheel/tire setup from the original issue of the Revell ‘32 Roadster. That would help you with the stance dramatically. 
  And if you want the SBC complete with the intake and all the dress up chrome from the ‘30 coupe, I can send you one. 

Thanx for the advice and the engine offer! I have the engine and parts picked out. More on that later. There's only so much that I can lower the front with the fenders on. I kept it simple by cutting away only part of the crossmember (for now) and doing an axle over. I had to add blocks back to the springs as the axle was resting on the frame. 

20220629_223213-1.jpg.7241011b0afcb5fe350d42d249dc8246.jpg

I now have room between the axle and frame as well as room between the tires and fenders. The stance has been improved greatly. 

20220629_223619-1.jpg.934033813741bfef58a3311da7e28e02.jpg 

• Like 4

This is why I was suggesting the wheel/tire combo from the 32 roadster. The fronts are considerably smaller overall diameter, while the rears are a touch larger than what you’re using. It will allow you to keep the same distance to the fenders and leave the axle where you have it now, but bring the front even lower and give it a nice rake. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I definitely want a SBC in place of the six cylinder.

With all that room up front seems an SBC will look small in there. Given any thought to a stovebolt from the AMT '51 or '37 kits? They both have some nice dress up parts. Looks like a fun project.

• Thanks 1

Originally the kit was brought out by MPC and I believe it was part of the Gangster series. It was accompanied by a sedan delivery with open double doors at the rear, would make a decent paddy wagon. Unfortunately the panel was heavily modified to unacceptable standards and has remained lost. 

It’s a decent kit with it’s fit issues regarding small parts yet Roger you’re taking it further with your mods, bravo! The wheel choice looks great and updates the ride past the wire rim era. I’ll be following, cheers Misha

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mrm said:

This is why I was suggesting the wheel/tire combo from the 32 roadster. The fronts are considerably smaller overall diameter, while the rears are a touch larger than what you’re using. It will allow you to keep the same distance to the fenders and leave the axle where you have it now, but bring the front even lower and give it a nice rake. 

Those wheels and tires aren't traditional and don't fit the look I'm going for. I'm thinking I'll raise the rear back up just a touch. Maybe a mm or two for clearance and a little more rake. I still have a few other wheel and tire combos I want to try out on it.

13 hours ago, Jantrix said:

With all that room up front seems an SBC will look small in there. Given any thought to a stovebolt from the AMT '51 or '37 kits? They both have some nice dress up parts. Looks like a fun project.

No, I'm going with a SBC. 

I got the engine and transmission fitted to the frame. The engine is from a Revell '57 Chevy "Black Widow". Since I still had most of the front crossmember left, I figured an early SBC with the front motor mounts would work about right and it did. All I had to do was cut the next crossmember loose, move it forward about 3mms, glue it back in and notch it to fit the bell housing.

20220630_234539-1.jpg.7659b93fce684765093d585055867481.jpg

I've been doing some work to the body. I filled the two small holes behind the doors and sanded most of the body. I test fit the trunk and let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired.

20220630_234719-1.jpg.ca1b2bee1c060c9066d7e06803aef70e.jpg

20220630_234758-1.jpg.fac753ef7f6776837fff71fe3a664962.jpg

I'm planning on gluing a piece of .015 to it from the marks forward and putty the rest. I also have some knarly mold seams to deal with.

The following photos illustrate why I get annoyed with '30s models. 

20220702_123407-1.jpg.8c6880347e8035b88bf4ae0cc028c596.jpg

20220702_123349-1.jpg.8de21e7172a9d08e776a50aa6fbb29f2.jpg

While I was able to modify the belt and pulleys to make room for the generator, I saw immediately that I had no room for manifolds. The easy solution would be to leave the hood off or remove the sides. But, I want to be able to display it with or without the hood. So, it's back to square one on getting the engine fitted. Luckily, I have plenty of room between the engine and firewall. There was too much space between them anyhow. But, it's annoying to think you're almost there and then realize you have to start over.

20220702_123456.jpg.ca0b17a3ea08d8cd97728b0798ee0fee.jpg

Which means I'll have to cut the crossmembers loose and move them back. I'm thinking the one I originally moved will go back to it's original position.

On the plus side, I did get the trunk fitted to the body. But, it took a piece of .015 styrene and a lot of putty and sanding!  

20220702_123753-1.jpg.9da05bed08e3924ebea1b1f1ae45e75e.jpg

20220702_123820-1.jpg.91024886eeaa46c78d00897c65cc5bb7.jpg 

• Like 1

The clearance problems you're experiencing was a problem in full scale as well. I had a '34 Ford pickup long ago with a problem clearing the generator. Ya it was that long ago.  Anyway, it was a common thing to add side blisters to the hood side panels that would clear whatever was in the way on the engine. Should that fit the look you're wanting maybe leave the side panels off of the hood as that was a common way around the problem also. 

• Thanks 1

Looks good so far Roger. I have this beastie below to do sometime in the future so I'll be following along closely.

Was thinking that I'd just swap in the frame and associated parts from a Revell '32 but I forgot they had the parallel leaf springs up front instead of the transverse setup like a Ford.

BTW, that kit originally did come with a SBC option, at least some did and I think the original did also, along with the panel body. Was the kit you started with a "stock only" version?

'32 Chevy delivery 2

6 hours ago, Plowboy said:

While I was able to modify the belt and pulleys to make room for the generator, I saw immediately that I had no room for manifolds.  

Check the SBC in the ZZTop '33 Coupe. Both the belts and headers are designed to fit in a narrow engine bay.

6 hours ago, espo said:

The clearance problems you're experiencing was a problem in full scale as well. I had a '34 Ford pickup long ago with a problem clearing the generator. Ya it was that long ago.  Anyway, it was a common thing to add side blisters to the hood side panels that would clear whatever was in the way on the engine. Should that fit the look you're wanting maybe leave the side panels off of the hood as that was a common way around the problem also. 

The way the louvers are, there's no way to add a blister without eliminating one or maybe two of them. To me, they make the Chevy instantly recognizable.  Leaving the sides off will be a last resort. I'm sure I can get the engine stuck in there. It's just gonna take a little work. If I can get a Hemi inside the hood on a '34 Ford, surely I can get this little small block in this Chevy.

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks good so far Roger. I have this beastie below to do sometime in the future so I'll be following along closely.

Was thinking that I'd just swap in the frame and associated parts from a Revell '32 but I forgot they had the parallel leaf springs up front instead of the transverse setup like a Ford.

BTW, that kit originally did come with a SBC option, at least some did and I think the original did also, along with the panel body. Was the kit you started with a "stock only" version?

'32 Chevy delivery 2

Thanx Steve! I was thinking about using the Ford frame also. It would've made a good poke at the Chevy guys especially with a Ford engine in it too. 

My kit is the Connoisseur Classic that's stock only. I've seen the street version many times on ebay. But, it always went for way more than I was willing to pay.

That delivery will make a cool hot rod!

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

Check the SBC in the ZZTop '33 Coupe. Both the belts and headers are designed to fit in a narrow engine bay.

That's actually a Pontiac engine and it has an A/C compressor setup. I already have the belt and pulleys fixed.  

• Plowboy changed the title to '32 Chevrolet Cabriolet....Traditional-ish...Update 7/23/22