Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Chevrolet Cabriolet....Traditional-ish...Update 7/23/22

Plowboy

I now have the engine fitted for good this time! Everything is under the hood just like I want it. I ended up having to move the crossmembers back 6mms. I'll have to shorten the driveshaft the same amount.

20220702_225239-1.jpg.327fec25baa9aa5142e42de76464ccd4.jpg

The engine looks better placed where it should be in relation to the firewall.

20220702_225435.jpg.1f5936f219f2e6f339616441f34506e9.jpg

The distributor will be a close fit. But, I have plenty of room for the rest. I changed out the black spoke Torque Thrusts for a set of gray spokes. But, I'm still looking for the right setup. I'll eventually hit on it. But, I like these better.

20220702_225543-1.jpg.0cdc363ccf1bf530e16de7728422ce8d.jpg

I'm almost ready to start shooting some primer!    

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:20 PM, Plowboy said:

Those wheels and tires aren't traditional and don't fit the look I'm going for. I'm thinking I'll raise the rear back up just a touch. Maybe a mm or two for clearance and a little more rake. I still have a few other wheel and tire combos I want to try out on it.

Chrome reverse steelies would be perfect for a sixties vibe.

• Like 1

My grandfather told me for years that his first car was a yellow 32 Chevy Rumble seat convertible. Later seeing photos I think it was a 31. 

Throwing an idea out there.. I’ve been thinking about putting the nice chassis from the Dodge D50 or Ford Courier pickups under a 30s car.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:55 PM, Tom Geiger said:

My grandfather told me for years that his first car was a yellow 32 Chevy Rumble seat convertible. Later seeing photos I think it was a 31. 

Throwing an idea out there.. I’ve been thinking about putting the nice chassis from the Dodge D50 or Ford Courier pickups under a 30s car.

I have both of those kits. But, never have really looked at the chassis' on them.

finally have my wheels and tires picked out! 

20220704_230943-1.jpg.bb9896be6c93e1f6e4a303911da33f3e.jpg

These fit the look I'm after perfect! They're just the steel wheels from an AMT '49 Ford that have been gone over with a Molotow pen. I want this model to have the look of a car that could have been built in a backyard or small garage. So, everything is going to be basic. I am going to get rid of the bumpers. But, I'm going to save the brackets just in case I change my mind. The plan is to paint it with Tamiya Satin Black and just polish it with Tamiya Course compound to bump the shine just a bit. The interior will be stock with a set of gauges and a different shifter at the most. 

• Like 2

Off to a great start, Roger. The stance is perfect and you can’t go wrong with a small block. 

I’ve had this kit a couple of times and think it’s neat but always end up trading them away. Your project makes me want to find another… 😆

Did you ever see the one that @tim boyd converted (quite nicely) in a Roadster Pickup street rod? Your earlier mock ups with the American 5-spokes reminded me of it.

• Thanks 1

Roger....looking really good so far.  Cool build idea and cool execution!  

FYI only, here's the model Dennis referenced above in his post above,,,DSC 0354

Like many others I am sure, I'll be watching your progress on this one.  TIM 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Roger. Keep up the good work

"But, it's annoying to think you're almost there and then realize you have to start over." - ain't this the truth. Its seems to to be every time you start kitbashing you come up against some wall that needs to be scaled or knocked down.  

• Thanks 1

I know it is one of the distinctive '32 Chevy features, but those vents on the side hoods are just......well.....awful. There got to be a way to stylize them somehow or simply eliminate them. 

This is very cool so far. I'm so used to seeing '30 and '32 Fords that non-Ford hot rods make me feel  kind of....itchy? Inspiring to see one being built.
I really dig the chromed steelies...the AMT '49 Ford really has the nicest examples ever.  It captures that "summer of '62" look nicely.

If I was going to "improve" on the look, I'd actually lean into the awkwardness and go with more, not less: I'd visually elongate the front end by adding a fifth dummy vent to the cowl itself!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrm said:

I know it is one of the distinctive '32 Chevy features, but those vents on the side hoods are just......well.....awful. There got to be a way to stylize them somehow or simply eliminate them. 

I have to agree with you. But, like you say, they're what makes a '32 Chevy. My plan to tone them down is to paint them body color and glue them slightly opened. I'm also not a fan of the headlight bars and dual horns. I'm going to cut the horns away and see if that helps. I may have to snag a headlight bar from a Ford. 

I got some paint sprayed on finally! The frame, front axle/hubs, and rearend/hubs are painted with Dupli Color Bright Red. The springs will get painted satin black. The body is painted with Tamiya Satin Black. Not sure if I'll bump up the shine or not. I thought I would try a couple of different wheel and tire options again. Once the paint was on, the chrome reverse wheels kinda seemed outta place.

20220713_105451-1.jpg.a1e407625d1890671c8d639924ab98e1.jpg

20220713_081618-1.jpg.f4152950675f550751e5b35c9c5b041c.jpg 

• Like 3

• Plowboy changed the title to '32 Chevrolet Cabriolet....Traditional-ish...Now In Paint!

Let me start off by commenting on the most recent pics. The satin body with gloss black steelies is...AWESOME! especially with the lug nuts eventually picked out in chrome (hinted at by the current grey?)

I've been spitballing one of these in my mind for awhile, similar to how you're building yours. SBC with rams horns. I'll definitely be keeping your mods in mind.

• Thanks 1

Nice. 
Well, the Louisville show is this coming weekend and I may look to pick one of these kits. It seems like it would be a cool challenge. 

Edited by mrm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

What Louisville show might that be? Do you have a link to info? Thanks!

It’s the Derby City Ohio Valley Regional. I have a flyer on my fridge. When I get home I’ll snap a picture. 

• Thanks 1

It's looking really good! I like the wide whites and steel wheels a lot! The 5 spokes look good too. I guess it just depends on what era you are going for, the wide whites are more late 50's/early 60's and the 5 spokes would be more mid to late 60's or later. I like either choice better than the chrome reversed ones you had on it earlier. Did you get your Corvette valve covers and 3x2 intake? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, larman said:

It's looking really good! I like the wide whites and steel wheels a lot! The 5 spokes look good too. I guess it just depends on what era you are going for, the wide whites are more late 50's/early 60's and the 5 spokes would be more mid to late 60's or later. I like either choice better than the chrome reversed ones you had on it earlier. Did you get your Corvette valve covers and 3x2 intake? 

Thanx Larry! I found a set of finned valve covers. But, they're not the Corvette covers. Still haven't got a 3x2 intake, carbs and cleaners. Still looking. 

I'm not feeling the steel wheels and whitewalls. The tires just look too big. If it didn’t have the fenders, they'd be perfect I think.

The Torque Thrusts aren't quite what I want either. But, I like them better than the rest.

I think the reason I'm not feeling the chrome reverse wheels is that they look like they're painted with chrome paint instead of looking like chrome. I'm going to get a set of Pegasus Chrome Reverse wheels and see what they look like on it. 

Another idea I have is taking a set of chrome reverse wheels with baby Moon hubcaps and paint the wheels black. I think they would tie the black and chrome together on the body. 

• Plowboy changed the title to '32 Chevrolet Cabriolet....Traditional-ish...Update 7/23/22