Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Snoopy kit built. Less than 24 hour after the last, “Snoopy with his Bugatti.” This one is Snoopy is Joe Cool. A cute kit, that looks pretty good when finished. But, a bit of a disappointment in someways.

Very little painting is required on this kit. Only sunglasses need to be painted. And this brought up in an addendum sheet to the original instructions. The original instructions tell us to “Attach green self-stick sunglass pieces to sunglasses.” The new ones say, “Attach White self-stick sunglass pieces to sunglasses.” And then goes on to say, “We recommend to paint sunglass frames black or any color you like so the white self-stick lens will show.” My question is why the White sunglass lens? The Green makes more sense to me. I don’t understand why Atlantis changed this one little thing from the original Monogram kit? Printing the sticker lenses in White and adding a whole addendum sheet was cheaper than printing the sticker lenses Green? Or did the original kit also have White lens? I don’t know. If it wasn’t for painting the sunglasses, this may have been done well before the “Snoopy with his Race Car” kit. 

One other slight disappointment. The motor to operate the mechanism to rock Snoopy’s surf board just does not want to work right. Especially when the front of the board is down with the wheel to spin Snoopy is on the motor shaft. The electric motor seems to just not have enough power to do the job and stops. And yes. I did use fresh batteries. And I did lubricant the gears with a little Vaseline. Like as recommended on Snoopy’s Bugatti. 

Minor issues. I have no real plans to play with the kit. So, it really doesn’t matter that it does not rock well up and down. The painting of the sunglasses is also not a big deal. Though green lens, make more sense than white ones to me. Despite these two points, I like the kits. It looks “Cool.” And is fun build. 

EB786B3F-DD13-4A15-8B8D-5FDA1A083D02.jpeg

041B12D2-01E0-45D2-9E68-8B347C5CCAB9.jpeg

B498F9F7-FAF3-4609-AA01-90BAEFA0BFFE.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

I built this last night with my 3 year old granddaughter. Same issue with the motor not having enough power to complete the motion cycle. Easy fix was dip a finger in vegetable oil, a drop of oil on all shafts at the rotating points and like magic it works perfectly!!!! Try it. Make sure to do the starting shaft where it goes through the frame also. 

Edited by 69H.O.Firebird

28 minutes ago, 69H.O.Firebird said:

I built this last night with my 3 year old granddaughter. Same issue with the motor not having enough power to complete the motion cycle. Easy fix was dip a finger in vegetable oil, a drop of iol on all shafts at the rotating points and like magic it works perfectly!!!! Try it. Make sure to do the starting shaft where it goes through the frame also. 

Thank you for the advice on fixing the motor problem. I’ll give it a try. 

Thank you for the review. Sometimes I like to get a goofy kit like this to have some fun from serious building but I want it to be worth it in the end. Your experience helps me to decide if I would buy it or not. Nice job btw.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:43 AM, TonyK said:

Thank you for the review. Sometimes I like to get a goofy kit like this to have some fun from serious building but I want it to be worth it in the end. Your experience helps me to decide if I would buy it or not. Nice job btw.

So are you going for it? I hope so. It is really a fun little kit. 

Edited by unclescott58

On 6/30/2022 at 6:10 AM, 69H.O.Firebird said:

I built this last night with my 3 year old granddaughter. Same issue with the motor not having enough power to complete the motion cycle. Easy fix was dip a finger in vegetable oil, a drop of oil on all shafts at the rotating points and like magic it works perfectly!!!! Try it. Make sure to do the starting shaft where it goes through the frame also. 

Had to let you know. The vegetable oil did the trick. Thanks for the tip.