Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got this package at the LHS a while ago.  the '34 Ford wrecker rebuild came from the same box.  Some real dirty and old stuff inside.  I've taken the '60 Ford F100 apart now to do another rebuild.  It needs some real tlc to get it looking good but that's half the fun.

IMG_2249.JPG.c581a6d63d21a5940fd7a035799901ce.JPG

That's it in the background.

IMG_2509.thumb.JPG.9a2fcae8d19cfe62ea49455ab08529ac.JPG

parts have been washed but they need to be cleared of old paint.

1960-ford-f-100-custom-cab-styleside-pickup-classic-748x561.jpg.3663daa8823452ab49b08f9a2cbc7738.jpg

I was hoping to find a color similar to this one at Michaels.  They had some super craft colors but today the complete bin was empty.  Bummer!!

• Like 1

Could this '60 F 100 in this vintage photo be the inspiration for the build?  I believe Thunderbird wheel covers were dealer accessories when new. Always nice to see these vintage kits get a new lease on life!

s-l1600 (25).jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Nice looking truck, those whitewalls really brighten it up!    Is it just me or does the other model look like the rarer unibody style, the cab and box all one piece?

Nice work so far on that one, it cleaned up so nice!

What I meant was the other model, note where the break between cab and box is missing compared to the one you’re working on. If I’m right it represents the one piece body that Ford offered for only a couple of years, with integrated cab and box, I think the box sides were riveted to the cab, innovative but apparently not too popular at the time

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/unibody-pickup-trucks

05EBCF40-F2CB-476F-AE1F-976A9327DCED.jpeg

• Like 1

Gottcha!  I didn't pay that much attention to the idea that they were mated together.  The real reason I decided to cut the two apart was that when the model was built the gap had been filled in with glue to hold some vertical exhaust pipes.  Really messed up the joint and would have been difficult to clean.  Too late now anyway!  I have the cab back filled in.  Just have to sand and clean up.

Can't wait to see this one develop! I love the '57-'60 Ford pickups! I've built a couple of the '60s. One issue both had was a dip in the passenger side windshield brow. A little tough to fix. But, it can be done. Tamiya makes a green that is very close to the one in your first photo. I believe the name of it is Park Green.

Correction on the paint color: it's Cobalt Green instead of Park Green.

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 1

Thanks, Roger.  Will be going to the LHS on Tuesday and will look for that color.  I'd really like to do a green and white one.  I just separated the grill from the front bumper so that I can make a new grill in an RTV mold.  then I'm going to recast the headlights in clear resin, cut out the solid lenses and replace them with the clears.  Alclad will be used on the new grill.

You're welcome Charles! I like that color too. I want to do a build with it someday. There are two Cobalt Greens. One is TS-102. The other is PS-54. You want the TS-102. The PS is for polycarbonate. Here's a photo I snagged.

tam85102.jpg.8d795899cc2e8fedc3934e7a71679855.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

You're welcome Charles! I like that color too. I want to do a build with it someday. There are two Cobalt Greens. One is TS-102. The other is PS-54. You want the TS-102. The PS is for polycarbonate. Here's a photo I snagged.

TS-102 it is!  Much abliged, Roger!

Hi Charlie- I have a similar deserving candidate on the shelf over my work bench. Mine is currently brushed dark green and the attached box has some serious sink marks on the sides.

I was considering a kit bash with the AMT 53 pickup, using that chassis and step side box to create a short wheelbase truck.

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hi Charlie- I have a similar deserving candidate on the shelf over my work bench. Mine is currently brushed dark green and the attached box has some serious sink marks on the sides.

I was considering a kit bash with the AMT 53 pickup, using that chassis and step side box to create a short wheelbase truck.

A short wheelbase version would be great, Tom!  The body on this one is now separate and is in need of shimming to get it up to the correct height.  Almost ready for paint but I'm considering opening up the tailgate.  So perhaps some additional cutting is in order!  Happy 4th!!

31 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

A short wheelbase version would be great, Tom!  The body on this one is now separate and is in need of shimming to get it up to the correct height.  Almost ready for paint but I'm considering opening up the tailgate.  So perhaps some additional cutting is in order!  Happy 4th!!

You probably need to take some out of the rear cab wall. Line the bed up with the cab and make sure it isn't hanging down below the bottom of the bulkhead of the bed. When the cab wall and bulhead of the bed are on the same plane, they'll line up perfect. It kinda looks like your cab is tilted forward a bit.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

You probably need to take some out of the rear cab wall. Line the bed up with the cab and make sure it isn't hanging down below the bottom of the bulkhead of the bed. When the cab wall and bulhead of the bed are on the same plane, they'll line up perfect. It kinda looks like your cab is tilted forward a bit.

Could be.  They are just sitting there for the time being.  They'll be lined up in the final assembly.  Thanks!!

On 7/2/2022 at 1:25 AM, Plowboy said:

Well, I got a can of TS-102 and am disappointed in the color.  I would call it a medium green and not anywhere near as light in color as the color chip suggests.  The green Ford used was more of a turquoise color.  Got to strip the cab and start over.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I hope you find a color that your looking for.  Very unusual for Tamiya paint color too be off the mark.

I have a Krylon color that is "close" but I'm taking one more stab at Tamiya next time I'm at the LHS.  The cab is stripped again and back in primer for the time being.