Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, after several attempts to find a paint color that I liked, I settled for the Tamiya 102.  It's not exactly what I wanted but it is close enough.  The biggest problem right now is that the cab is a shade darker than the body and I need to give the cab one more coat.  The problem?  Glass and interior tub are glued in!!  So there will have to be some fancy masking to get things done.

IMG_2515.thumb.JPG.ce139c6476cfef2a1a3b639920d20259.JPG

That's a resin cast grill in front of the cab.  It was painted with gloss black and then Alclad.  The headlights were opened up.  Using the grill mold four clear headlight lenses were cast and then inserted in place.  Tamiya clear amber was used for the turn signals.

IMG_2517.JPG.6bef35ca35179f5879953efe2da1c299.JPG

Unfortunately, the chrome FORD on the hood sides was not in good condition and there wasn't much I could do about it.  Tires are 1/32 scale truck tires and the rims came from the parts box.  The grill needs to sit a little higher.  It is just in place temporarily in the photo.

IMG_2518.JPG.ab12beaeee95559308fa67de721f230f.JPG

The tailgate was cut loose and hinged at the bottom.  But when I put the bumper in place the license plate blocked the tailgate from opening up.  The plate was cut away.  The FORD letters were done with white decals.  I found a tailgate image on line that I could use to make the letters to the right shape.  The letters were copied and printed in white on the ALPS printer.

IMG_2519.thumb.JPG.b1f2c03d5f7dca0c2bc0617744ab0d53.JPG

Some small brass strip stock pieces were glued to the tailgate and the body.  Wire and bright chain were added.

IMG_2520.JPG.ccc93f52c90abbe3bcd7d37e90573c06.JPG

I was able to make a casting of the interior of the FORD so that it looks like the stamped version of the real tailgate.  It's a bit on the thick side but not bad when all is said and done.  Now to get the cab corrected!!

• Like 1