Model Cars Magazine Forum

60-70s Ford transfer cases?

So, I'm working on a project and want to make sure I have the right Transfer case for a 60s-70s Ford. 

Assume you had a 302/351 with a C6, would a Dana 20 or a NP205 be best?

Driver drop I assume?

Since I am modeling it, would an Atlas be more desirable behind a custom small block?

Edited by Oldmopars

The Dana 20 was not very common in trucks, it was mainly seen in Broncos and Jeeps. It's hard to go wrong with the NP205, yes, it would be driver's side drop. An Atlas transfer case would be a nice option for a serious rock crawler.

I worked on a lot of the 70s models and even owned a few. Most 78-79 models that I had experience with had 205 transfer cases. The earlier models with full time four wheel drive had 203 transfer cases. I had a 76 with a divorced transfer case and it was a 205 as well. That has just been my experience, I’m sure there are probably other examples.

Something else that may be of interest. Most fords had a Dana 44 with a high mount pinion in the front with reverse cut gears. The one I had with the divorced transfer case had a Dana 44 with a regular low mount pinion. 

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

An atlas would be desirable because of the optional gear ranges available. The only drawback of the NP205 is it’s 1.96:1 low range. It is however pretty much bullet proof and will stand up to the power of a big block. The Mobius 1970 F-100 has the appropriate divorced 205 t/c. I’m not too familiar with Fords so I don’t know what years it would span.

888344A5-715E-4867-8328-451A8CD81AC5.jpeg

D3DA3F9A-1BCE-49FF-8777-CCDECDD81D6F.jpeg