Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 July kit announcements

GMP440

On 7/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, 1972coronet said:

Grease Bondo

bondo-grease-lightening.jpg.d9562f34f5a1a19fbc037685a68bd4ee.jpg

So what's with the wire wheels and BFG Radial TAs? Not prototypical of a 50s hot rod.

Probably has digital Bluetooth with 16" subs and tweed upholstery. 

What a tacky piece o'....

Typical Barris. 

• Haha 1

Didn't the movie version have Firestones with huge white letters?  Product placement, most likely.  IF that's the same car, and it was on the car show circuit with the BFGs, again product placement.  

I recall reading about someone finding and buying the movie car years later.  The fins were literally Bondoed on, he knocked those off and put a stock front clip on it and ended up with a pretty decent car.  The windshield and top were chopped years earlier, supposedly very well, and the car had been a finished piece long before the movie people got their hands on it.  The Barris one could be a copy, though, he was doing a lot of "possible second cars" long after the movies were made.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

So what's with the wire wheels and BFG Radial TAs? Not prototypical of a 50s hot rod.

Probably has digital Bluetooth with 16" subs and tweed upholstery. 

What a tacky piece o'....

Typical Barris. 

Considering that that steamer was built in c.1977, it likely has a cassette player.

The seats are carved Bondo and stuffed with cardboard and business cards. 

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Didn't the movie version have Firestones with huge white letters?  Product placement, most likely.  IF that's the same car, and it was on the car show circuit with the BFGs, again product placement.  

I recall reading about someone finding and buying the movie car years later.  The fins were literally Bondoed on, he knocked those off and put a stock front clip on it and ended up with a pretty decent car.  The windshield and top were chopped years earlier, supposedly very well, and the car had been a finished piece long before the movie people got their hands on it.  The Barris one could be a copy, though, he was doing a lot of "possible second cars" long after the movies were made.

Firestone Fire Hawk originally. Product placement, indeed -- and super authentic. 

I wonder if the new owner of Grease Bondo put a better paint scheme on it? 

• Haha 1

If that movie were being made NOW, they'd probably use that same car...only in flat black. 

They could even use those "wire basket" wheels, the way they are sold now...in black powder coat, without the baskets!

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Ugly enough to cause a miscarriage 

Funny! I really like the car. I did then, and I still do now. It is a "Dream Car" from a Dream......

Are all of your dreams in good taste?

It is indeed "Over the Top". I can go to any Good Guys car show, and find a few cars that are just as "over the top", only in ways that are acceptable to more peoples tastes. Still "Over the Top" though.

Taste is a funny thing. Just because everyone likes something does not make it tasteful or even good. Just because "You" don't like something, does not make it bad, either.

Something to think about.....

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Funny! I really like the car. I did then, and I still do now. It is a "Dream Car" from a Dream......

Are all of your dreams in good taste?

It is indeed "Over the Top". I can go to any Good Guys car show, and find a few cars that are just as "over the top", only in ways that are acceptable to more peoples tastes. Still "Over the Top" though.

Taste is a funny thing. Just because everyone likes something does not make it tasteful or even good. Just because "You" don't like something, does not make it bad, either.

Something to think about.....

If I dreamt that a bunch of guys were doing that to a vintage Ford...it would be a nightmare!

I can picture it: I'd be struggling with them and shouting "Nooooo!" But to no avail; they would continue cutting the steel and slapping on the Bondo... (Kinda like my Grade 10 Autobody Class in 1979!)

Edited by blizzy63
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, iBorg said:

That was my question.....a tease? I don't recognize them at all and I've got a pretty good knowledge of old kits. I swear they remind me of Ezra Brooks decanters.

I saw that too.  Looks like a Lola GT  in the 1st and 2nd boxes and the 3rd on the right maybe an Indy car. Could be a teaser.  Maybe one of those subjects will be the big announcement.

2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I saw that too.  Looks like a Lola GT  in the 1st and 2nd boxes and the 3rd on the right maybe an Indy car. Could be a teaser.  Maybe one of those subjects will be the big announcement.

Per Steve Goldman's response to similar question on the first page.

"That segment was recorded in a different location.  Those items down below are part of Tom's personal collection, not a tease for something coming. 

-Steve"

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 5:21 PM, Jim B said:

Wonder if Indycals will be offering their 1963 Lotus 26 Upgrade kit:

Lotus 29 Upgrade kit (indycals.net)

IMG_0267.jpg

Received an email from Michael over at Indycals.  He told me that he has a limited number of these in stock (like 3 as of this writing), so if you want one get it now.  He also said that they atr in demand, and supply shortages of resin casting materials is slowing down production.

Just thought I'd let people know.