Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 July kit announcements

GMP440

"Yes, I did see that Mr Duff. 

That was not the decals discussed in any of the discussions of decals included in this kit.

BTW, I don't make snide comments directed at you in posts you're involved in, I would expect the same courtesy from you. "

Steve, If I want to snidely comment to you, clearly I know how the quote reply works...

I am referring to the larger habit this "community" has about either not listening when people who know stuff are relaying information and/or deciding the forum knows exactly what's going on without adequate information. The former being the discussion below about the Revell/Atlantis 57 Nomad where people ask the same question over and over (prior to it becoming a running gag the past 24hrs) despite the Owner of the Company being quoted. The later being this decal sheets. SteveG said there would be "some Freewheelin' decals added", which there were. This forum HOWEVER decided that meant it was going to be the huge panel width ones. A page and half of giddy excitement in that thread over what was assumed to be correct, now everyone is moody cause nobody bothered to ask for clarification. The decals discussed in the truck forum thread were an aftermarket sheet, not the decals to be included in the kit.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

"Yes, I did see that Mr Duff. 

That was not the decals discussed in any of the discussions of decals included in this kit.

BTW, I don't make snide comments directed at you in posts you're involved in, I would expect the same courtesy from you. "

Steve, If I want to snidely comment to you, clearly I know how the quote reply works...

I am referring to the larger habit this "community" has about either not listening when people who know stuff are relaying information and/or deciding the forum knows exactly what's going on without adequate information. The former being the discussion below about the Revell/Atlantis 57 Nomad where people ask the same question over and over (prior to it becoming a running gag the past 24hrs) despite the Owner of the Company being quoted. The later being this decal sheets. SteveG said there would be "some Freewheelin' decals added", which there were. This forum HOWEVER decided that meant it was going to be the huge panel width ones. A page and half of giddy excitement in that thread over what was assumed to be correct, now everyone is moody cause nobody bothered to ask for clarification. The decals discussed in the truck forum thread were an aftermarket sheet, not the decals to be included in the kit.

Ok, seeing as you quoted a response made to my post, it looked like you were also replying to it. I apologies for any confusion on my part. 

,,, Anyway, it just means more business for Ray so it's good all 'round.

We have few solid sources here, and have run some off, or pounded on others. Sad state of affairs. No good deed goes unpunished it seems. Lots of appreciative engaged guys here, but vocal group that tells us they won’t buy x (alert the media) or whatever can be rude. 
Life is too short to put up with nonsense. Please. 
This isn’t directed at anyone. Just reinforcing earlier post. /rant 🤦🏻‍♂️🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lost opportunity 🤥  This was R2's chance to revise , if not totally to replace , the '63-64 vintage Cobra kit.  A proper 289ci rather than the original 260 at a minimum.  I saw that the box said 289 but I saw no change in the sprue images.  The body mods that were such a part of the racing history (FIA, USRRC, Dragonsnake) don't seem to be offered and a "fastback top" unlike anything ever seen on an actual car.  Having said all that, yep I'll likely add it to my collection if for nothing else but the wheel/tire options, FI intake tubes and the decal sheet.  (sigh)

Edited by The Junkman

4 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Lost opportunity 🤥  This was R2's chance to revise , if not totally to replace , the '63-64 vintage Cobra kit.  A proper 289ci rather than the original 260 at a minimum.  I saw that the box said 289 but I saw no change in the sprue images.  The body mods that were such a part of the racing history (FIA, USRRC, Dragonsnake) don't seem to be offered and a "fastback top" unlike anything ever seen on an actual car.  Having said all that, yep I'll likely add it to my collection if for nothing else but the wheel/tire options, FI intake tubes and the decal sheet.  (sigh)

That’s one I didn’t expect any changes to. It’s still a nice classic kit as far as I’m concerned. The last one I built, turned out good enough for me. Unless something happens to that one, I’ll never being buying another. I do have the Revell Cobra with Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby figures I need to finish. With the old AMT kit, a street (already built) and racing version of the Revell kits. I think I have enough Cobras in my collection. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Lost opportunity 🤥  This was R2's chance to revise , if not totally to replace , the '63-64 vintage Cobra kit......

.......Having said all that, yep I'll likely add it to my collection if for nothing else but the wheel/tire options, FI intake tubes and the decal sheet.  (sigh)

And THAT'S why there is no reason for R2 to mess with that vintage tooling  - it consistently sells. (even to guys that complain about it!)  It would be pure insanity for them to start changing it or, as you suggest, replace it.

Don't mess with a good thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Junkman said:

How would you know the difference between a 260 and a 289, when the only difference between the two is .2" cylinder bore diameter? Outwardly the two look identical. If you are looking for a more accurate 289, there's always the one in the 67 Mustang. But be aware that the oil filler tubes on the 63s are located on the timing cover for both engines, just as AMT has it on the Cobra. (Not so accurate for the 66 Mustang!)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

And THAT'S why there is no reason for R2 to mess with that vintage tooling  - it consistently sells. (even to guys that complain about it!)  It would be pure insanity for them to start changing it or, as you suggest, replace it.

Don't mess with a good thing.

I can see that point with the classic/rarely reissued kits of old-Barris show rods/Tom Daniels series, etc.  Its vintage and it works.  I am neutral on old and classic KITS but I love old and classic CARS.  My hope would be for a modern kit of a classic car.  I can also recall taking the tubes out of the tv with my dad and checking them on a tube tester at the grocery store.  It was vintage and it work(ed).  Just because it was old and nostalgic doesn't make it better, just makes it "good enough and that's enough for me".  Given that way of thinking the old Revell '57 Nomad kit need never be updated/revised/replaced because it is an old classic, though complaints abound about accuracy/difficulty in building.  Of course I have no comprehension of R2's marketing strategy and am in no way knowledgeable of their financials.  I'm just lamenting that a classic car is only represented by a 60 year old molding and that is the only semi accurate kit of it (Sunny-represented by the soon to be issued Revell-is a conglomeration of 289/427/fantasical).  They added features but didn't improve it.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, 1972coronet said:

Grease Bondo

bondo-grease-lightening.jpg.d9562f34f5a1a19fbc037685a68bd4ee.jpg

I can remember seeing that car at the Philly convention center at some big show my dad brought us to many years ago. It looked awful. Cracking fiberglass work and Bondo all over the place

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, The Junkman said:

Lost opportunity 🤥  This was R2's chance to revise , if not totally to replace , the '63-64 vintage Cobra kit...

IMHO, the best thing AMT Round2 can do with this old Shelby Cobra kit is to restore it to its original 1963 glory and leave it be (It should have its old Halibrand mag wheels back!).

It's the original Cobra kit from back in the day and if a modeller finds it lacking, they should modify it or find themselves a more preferable Cobra kit.

Below is one of my COVID 2020 builds. It was an enjoyable challenge with an experimental paint job and it got the building of an AMT Shelby Cobra kit off my bucket list...

DSC04628.JPG

AMT 2170 Ford Powered Cobra 1.jpg

10877214p.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I can remember seeing that car at the Philly convention center at some big show my dad brought us to many years ago. It looked awful. Cracking fiberglass work and Bondo all over the place

Eccch!

Fake-'50s hot rod for a fake-'50s musical...

images.jpeg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

That little Cobra has actually had some subtle changes over the years. I have an original issue Builtup but it still has most, if not all the left over parts in the box.

The wire wheels were slightly modified, the steering wheel spokes were changed and the custom top has small changes. 

possibly more but that's what I can think of right off the top of my head.

Edited by Can-Con

4 minutes ago, keyser said:

Pretty sure the Cobra has Halibrands in it now, started in the recent issue with gold car on it. Looks great with them, I put parts pack Halis on one of mine prior to the current issues. 

It does, but, they're the ones like in the Studebaker Avanti, not the "kidney bean" style as shown on the original box art Robert posted above.