Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEED HELP WITH A SILLY KENWORTH/ FIRST BIG RIG BUILD

Hi y'all.

So, I have never built a semi or any heavy truck model. As a matter of fact, in the last 30 years I think I have only built two or three pickup truck models. So, it would be fair enough to say that I know exactly "Jack" about big rigs. LOL

I build mainly street Rods and Ferraris. And my wife was telling me, how I should try something different. And lo and behold, I stop by the only hobby store anywhere remotely near me, which is basically a RC store, and there on the shelf is staring me dead in the eye Lemmy Kilmister from the awesome graphic on the trailer of this road tour truck by Revell of Germany. I did see that it is 1/32 scale, but just really wanted to have it, looking all cool in black with Motorhead all over it. It said skill level 3 on the box and that it needs to be glued and painted. "So how bad could it be" I thought...... Well it is pretty bad. It looks like the trailer's frame and suspension is pretty well done, in total contrast to the tractor, whose chassis is like from a different era, designed by drunk russians on a Monday.

Any help with making a decent model out of this or any detailing tips would be greatly appreciated. I understand that it will never compete with any remotely detailed model out there, but I would still like to give it a go. 

So, HHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLPPPPPPP please!

Edited by mrm

I only build 1/25 or 1/24 big rigs. I am not sure of the accuracy or level of detail the kit has inherently. I suggest you simply treat it as a fun art project. Develop your own custom color scheme and livery and just wing it. Create a vision on paper or other 2D medium then challenge you self to create that vision. For your first build I would not go all-in on the accuracy factor (especially in that scale). If you mess something up, carry on and call it road rash. If semis continue to appeal to you, you can step your game on the next one. Have fun!

Don't get bogged down with a ton of extra details, especially if you're not familiar with the subject. It's just a recipe for burnout.

You said that the box art caught your eye, then build it like the art depicts and paint the unseen stuff the way your heart desires. Who's going to argue? And you're more likely to be satisfied with the end result. 

Like Bill said, have fun with it!

This is really just a pairing of the Kenworth T600 and the Fruehauf dry van from the old Monogram Snaptite range. I've built both of these kits separately, WIPs are on this forum somewhere, I'm sure if you search my profile it should bring them up. At present I'm working on a 352 Peterbilt which should be nearby on the page. 

They're really just basic display models with generic chassis, lacking detail and not manufacturer specific. The trailer outshines the tractors for detail TBH. I spend a long time on each of mine filling rear axles, adding brake chambers and piping, chassis detail etc...to give them some credibility. I enjoy it as it tests my skills and brings back memories of when I worked on trucks here in GB, but to you it may be a waste of time. I have little room for models so the smaller scale is better for me. 

Having said that, they do build into fairly presentable shelf models as they come so as the lads say, enjoy making something of it. 

IMG_20220702_152344626.jpg

IMG_20220126_124120447~2.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These are very easy and basic don’t over think it. I’ve built several of these  myself thinking outside the box using automotive paints and different scale decals and making my own Decals as well. Here’s a few of mine that I’ve built in the past. The ideas for these “Quick” builds are endless. 

0260E29C-6EA1-4765-8EBC-625A8F738647.jpeg

A4D7F1F0-9C0C-4257-836C-FBD13693E95B.jpeg

F4AF74CE-9306-4C42-98BE-80B52BD82388.jpeg

CD89126D-AC89-474B-A510-9D160483AD3B.jpeg

05478772-50B5-4F0D-AB98-6A55F0D71AE7.jpeg

Well, thank you guys, all of you. 

I started building it and as many of you said, I will just try to make the best of it. 

For starters I tried to research the truck a little online and first step was to add some styrene strips to the dash to make it closer to the one in real life. 

ks8t4w.jpg

As I am going to display it always with the trailer attached and there is not much that could be seen, I thought that the main detail I need to add are the hoses behind the cab that attach to the trailer. I believe that is the air for the brakes. For the purpose the three squares on the picture were cut out. 

iaTu9N.jpg

I have already sanded the cab and the trailer and primed and sprayed black on. I just need to take some pictures. 

stay tuned and thanks for looking. 

• mrm changed the title to NEED HELP WITH A SILLY KENWORTH/ FIRST BIG RIG BUILD

By the way, I meant to ask, how is everyone who has build one of these handle the poor excuse for tires in the kits? I have hard time to stomach the rear tires with their one sided detail, let alone the fronts which are obviously visibly hollow on one side. 

I've just had to grin and bear the tyre situation here in the UK because of the cost of the alternatives from the USA but if you're over that side there may be a few options from the aftermarket. I take the separation line off and then shoot a coat of matt black. 

AMT did 1/32 snap kits and the tyres on them were really good except that they're way too small and make your truck look like a skateboard. 

In all honesty, once they're fitted you don't really notice them because they're dark and generally shrouded. The people who designed these kits must have stood them on a shelf and thought about where they had to put detail and where they could leave it out.

This just shows me how boring I am in that I can talk for so long on plastic tyres. Forgive my verbosity. 

I have to say you're doing a great job, thinking about what you can do to add detail 

Edited by Rockford
Text editing
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rockford said:

I've just had to grin and bear the tyre situation here in the UK because of the cost of the alternatives from the USA but if you're over that side there may be a few options from the aftermarket. I take the separation line off and then shoot a coat of matt black. 

AMT did 1/32 snap kits and the tyres on them were really good except that they're way too small and make your truck look like a skateboard. 

In all honesty, once they're fitted you don't really notice them because they're dark and generally shrouded. The people who designed these kits must have stood them on a shelf and thought about where they had to put detail and where they could leave it out.

This just shows me how boring I am in that I can talk for so long on plastic tyres. Forgive my verbosity. 

I have to say you're doing a great job, thinking about what you can do to add detail 

Thank you. The black paint (the gloss one) is done and the decals are applied. Now it's getting a good wash and waiting to dry before I seal everything with clear. Then we're moving on to the silver bits. 

gkitt8.jpg

0dIYMS.jpg

7 hours ago, mrm said:

By the way, I meant to ask, how is everyone who has build one of these handle the poor excuse for tires in the kits? I have hard time to stomach the rear tires with their one sided detail, let alone the fronts which are obviously visibly hollow on one side. 

I’ve often thought about filling them with resin but I’ve built so many I really don’t pay attention to them. To be honest I wouldn’t waste my time on fixing them and focus my energy on what’s going to be seen than unseen. That’s just my opinion. 

Your updates look nice and I like how you’re fixing the dash. I’ve thought about framing up a couple of mine several times in the pass but never did. 

Edited by Pete68

17 hours ago, Pete68 said:

I’ve often thought about filling them with resin but I’ve built so many I really don’t pay attention to them. To be honest I wouldn’t waste my time on fixing them and focus my energy on what’s going to be seen than unseen. That’s just my opinion. 

Your updates look nice and I like how you’re fixing the dash. I’ve thought about framing up a couple of mine several times in the pass but never did. 

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think these are neat kits, and have thought about picking up the Motorhead and the Rammstein versions. 

Looking forward to seeing yours completed.

I'm not a plane guy, but I've been thinking about one of these too.

mh1.jpg

mh2.jpg

Thanks guys. 
Let me tell you about the decals….These things are hard and very resistant to solvents. Making the huge decals on the trailer sides lay nice with the million rivets showing through them with no air bubbles was a major PITA.
   I was going to clearcoat the decals yesterday, but decided to add bunch of BMF to the cab and some other details, so I’ll deal with that when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully by then my 4th of July monster hangover would be gone. 😜 

Not much to show, but this is the interior as of now. 

VnV6MW.jpg

I had some ideas about the bed, but you can not see it at all once inside the cab, so I am leaving it as is. I just need to make door panels. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:37 AM, mrm said:

Thank you. The black paint (the gloss one) is done and the decals are applied. Now it's getting a good wash and waiting to dry before I seal everything with clear. Then we're moving on to the silver bits. 

gkitt8.jpg

0dIYMS.jpg

very cool graphics!!!!

have you got a second 1/32 scale truck kit where you can rob some extra tires?  If so, cut one of the tires leaving just the flat surface of the outside.  Sand it smooth and glue it to the inside of the front tires.  Sand the edge down so that it is clean.  Do the same to the other front open tire.  You won't see the open back anymore.

22 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

have you got a second 1/32 scale truck kit where you can rob some extra tires?  If so, cut one of the tires leaving just the flat surface of the outside.  Sand it smooth and glue it to the inside of the front tires.  Sand the edge down so that it is clean.  Do the same to the other front open tire.  You won't see the open back anymore.

I was thinking about that, but trucks are not really my thing and frankly, I don’t think this particular kit deserves that kind of investment. 
   I did buy some resin tho and I will “fill” the tires up, which after painting and assembly should look just fine. 

4 hours ago, mrm said:

I was thinking about that, but trucks are not really my thing and frankly, I don’t think this particular kit deserves that kind of investment. 
   I did buy some resin tho and I will “fill” the tires up, which after painting and assembly should look just fine. 

That'll work too!😁

I've got quite a bit of progress on this model, but just did not have time for pictures.

Everything was primed, painted black and the decals were applied. A day later everything got clear coated to protect the decals, so they could be masked over. 

NuQ5PU.jpg

The bottom of the trailer first received a coat of flat black, which will be masked and then all the silver will be applied.

Mj8QzC.jpg

My solution for the tires was resin. I just could not bring myself to leave them hollow.

iUl1kl.jpg

All the proper diameter holes were drilled after the resin hardened. I think that it was a great solution, which only cost me $17 and I still have half of the resin left over for other projects. 

Amm5up.jpg

Now I just need to clean up the tires a little and paint them black. 

Thanks for looking and stay tuned.