Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Electric Ford Lightning vs. GMC 6.2L V8 Sierra: Trailer Towing Range

Yeah, we watched this at work on Friday.

I think they should have hooked a trailer up to the F150 PowerBoost they had there too. See how the hybrid compares. I know how it worked for me last summer, but then I had a larger/heavier trailer.

20210809_183150.jpg

Nice to see a real world comparison. And to see how similar it is to the gas truck. Hook a trailer up, and lose half your range. The big advantage with gas of course is that you can still go twice as far, and you can "recharge" almost anywhere in about 5 minutes.

Still, as the tech and infrastructure improves, the range and charging will get better. I'm sure at some point in the future there will be an EV truck in my driveway.

Yeah, but that GMC can't do consistent 12.80s in the quarter mile. The Lightning can.

If they were going to do an apples to apples comparison, they should've compared it to a Rivian R1T. I'd like to see those two drag race! 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Yeah, but that GMC can't do consistent 12.80s in the quarter mile. The Lightning can.

If they were going to do an apples to apples comparison, they should've compared it to a Rivian R1T. I'd like to see those two drag race! 

Like this?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

The first recall for the F-150 Lightning EV pickup was issued by Ford on 7/1/2022. TPMS malfunction could happen, affecting 2,900 vehicles.

Which, if it's just the sensors in the wheels, is pretty minor, considering the wholesale change in powertrain.  Not like the possibility of a wheel falling off like the Toyota/Subaru twin EVs that haven't even hit these shores yet.

54 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Which, if it's just the sensors in the wheels, is pretty minor, considering the wholesale change in powertrain.  Not like the possibility of a wheel falling off like the Toyota/Subaru twin EVs that haven't even hit these shores yet.

The potential problem is that the tire pressure was incorrectly programmed into the BCM. If left unrepaired, the tires could become low on air pressure, which could lead to a crash. The whole reason why TPMS was created.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

The potential problem is that the tire pressure was incorrectly programmed into the BCM. If left unrepaired, the tires could become low on air pressure, which could lead to a crash. The whole reason why TPMS was created.

True, but that is still likely not as severe (and probably heavily related to systems on the normal F-150) as say a battery, charger, or hardware/software issue related to the new EV components.

21 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

True, but that is still likely not as severe (and probably heavily related to systems on the normal F-150) as say a battery, charger, or hardware/software issue related to the new EV components.

You do realize that TPMS was created in response to Ford Explorers experiencing roll over crashes due to low tire pressure, mainly because of defective Firestone tires, right? The last thing Ford wants is to have another debacle on it's hands like it did with the Explorers.

5 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

You do realize that TPMS was created in response to Ford Explorers experiencing roll over crashes due to low tire pressure, mainly because of defective Firestone tires, right? The last thing Ford wants is to have another debacle on it's hands like it did with the Explorers.

Yes, as well as the general driving public's overall inability and/or unwillingness to check their own tire pressures.

What about millions of cars whose owners let sensors die? Omg. Sounds like a sensor company prob, perhaps wrong signal band. 
Please. At least they’re better than vapor ware Elontruck. For fun, check out build quality on a Tesla. Any Tesla. Yugo slapped them together better. 

7 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Here's something to think about when you consider an EV over a fossil fueled vehicle. And ask "Why hasn't the car maker or government disclosed this information yet?"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/electric-pickup-trucks-are-dirtier-than-you-think

Did you actually read that article?  It more or less said that if you compare driving one of the current EV trucks to a fuel burning Non truck, that fuel burning not truck won’t be as dirty, but if you’re comparing Granny Smith to Golden Delicious, the EV truck will still be cleaner than the fuel burning counterpart.

11 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Did you actually read that article?  It more or less said that if you compare driving one of the current EV trucks to a fuel burning Non truck, that fuel burning not truck won’t be as dirty, but if you’re comparing Granny Smith to Golden Delicious, the EV truck will still be cleaner than the fuel burning counterpart.

Nope Joe, I just blindly post stuff on the internet and wait for the fireworks to ensue.

Of course I did. The basic gist of the story is that given the amount of energy to build an EV versus a fossil fuel vehicle, there is not an immediate benefit to the environment like some people would have you believe. And considering that to recharge an EV takes electricity that is often created by burning fuel that creates Co2, it is still contributing to the emissions pollution it claims to solve. Add in the extra weight that those batteries add to a vehicle's overall structure and the "mileage" of an EV is diminished. I believe we would be better off going the hydrogen route as it is a much cleaner system, more sustainable and more ecologically friendly. The raping and pillaging of the land to yield the minerals for battery production is quite destructive to the eco-system.

• Like 1

I think the reality right now, and what we're seeing here at the dealership, is that no one is really too concerned about the environmental impact of ICW vs EV. I mean, yes we all care about the environment, but that's not why we're sold out of Mach-E, eTransit, and F150 Lightning, and why most of our F150s in stock are hybrids.

No, people see our gas is around $1.90/L. And we're the cheapest province in Canada for fuel because we process and make the stuff. I won't get into why the fuel prices are where they are here, because then I'd have to give myself a 30 day timeout.

People see those gas prices and want personal savings for themselves. They've been thinking about a new vehicle anyway, so why not look at something that will help their monthly expenses?

I know we're considering it for wifey right now. We've been thinking about replacing her XC90, and over the past few months, the idea of electric has been very attractive.

5 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think the reality right now, and what we're seeing here at the dealership, is that no one is really too concerned about the environmental impact of ICW vs EV. I mean, yes we all care about the environment, but that's not why we're sold out of Mach-E, eTransit, and F150 Lightning, and why most of our F150s in stock are hybrids.

No, people see our gas is around $1.90/L. And we're the cheapest province in Canada for fuel because we process and make the stuff. I won't get into why the fuel prices are where they are here, because then I'd have to give myself a 30 day timeout.

People see those gas prices and want personal savings for themselves. They've been thinking about a new vehicle anyway, so why not look at something that will help their monthly expenses?

I know we're considering it for wifey right now. We've been thinking about replacing her XC90, and over the past few months, the idea of electric has been very attractive.

Dan, your statement above is a contradiction in terms and also the problem with people flocking to EVs. They want to think they are helping the environment by dropping the gas powered vehicle, but the sad reality is that while the vehicle is no longer polluting out the tailpipe, the power plant that generates electricity is.

A larger, scarier problem is that to mine the minerals for EV battery production, the environmental damage to the earth and surrounding eco systems is quite severe. Add in that much of this mining is done in third world countries where there is no EPA and the problem is magnified. About 40 miles west of where I live here in Charlotte is a huge lithium deposit that is being researched for possible mining and is facing huge pushback from local residents and environmentalists because of the impact it will have.

I work for an automotive division of Toyota and we are involved in EV development so I see the writing on the wall but I am not convinced that we shouldn't be pushing additional alternative fuels and hybrids as some of them are much more environmentally friendly and cost effective.

• Like 1

Maybe due to my age but EV's just have no interest to me. That being said after reading and watching videos I have warmed up to the Lightning. Being retired I don't drive all that much so it would meet my needs but, the price !  Almost enough to pay off my home. 😄

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Dan, your statement above is a contradiction in terms and also the problem with people flocking to EVs. They want to think they are helping the environment by dropping the gas powered vehicle, but the sad reality is that while the vehicle is no longer polluting out the tailpipe, the power plant that generates electricity is.

A larger, scarier problem is that to mine the minerals for EV battery production, the environmental damage to the earth and surrounding eco systems is quite severe. Add in that much of this mining is done in third world countries where there is no EPA and the problem is magnified. About 40 miles west of where I live here in Charlotte is a huge lithium deposit that is being researched for possible mining and is facing huge pushback from local residents and environmentalists because of the impact it will have.

I work for an automotive division of Toyota and we are involved in EV development so I see the writing on the wall but I am not convinced that we shouldn't be pushing additional alternative fuels and hybrids as some of them are much more environmentally friendly and cost effective.

Contradiction? Not really.

Do most people generally care about the environment? Of course they do. People do their recycling, and separate their organics from plastics, and turn off lights when they leave a room, and all of that convenient stuff. And I think most are happy to do that.

Are people coming in to dealerships and shopping for EVs because they want to save the environment? Not around here. Some kind of throw that in as an afterthought, but it is not the driving motive. Maybe in California or other states and provinces. 

I 100% agree that the current rush for lithium and cobalt and all of the other minerals used in EVs is wreaking havoc on the environment. Lithium mining is horrible! Will it get better? Eventually, yes. Look at oil production. Go back a few decades, and it was disgusting how it was damaging the environment. Oil production now is much cleaner and far less impactful. Is it perfect? No, but it's far better than it was. 

I still think more development can be done to make ICE engines more efficient, but that's just not where things are heading right now.