Model Cars Magazine Forum

We’ve Lost Another Legend. RIP Bruce Owen!

foghorn62

Anyone who was around our hobby and participated in any of the MPC Model Car Customizing Contests, or picked up a copy of Car Model Magazine during the 1970s, will recognize the name of Bruce Owen.  Bruce passed away last week, after a long battle with MS.  I first met Bruce in 1971, when we were both competing in the MPC contest at the Detroit Autorama.  Over the coming years, as a contest organizer, and judge, I had the privilege and honor of examining Bruce’s creations up close and personal with amazement under bright lights and magnifying glass.  The decision to hand Bruce the Best in Show award was usually an easy one since he set a high bar for creativity, and excellence that to this day, few have challenged.  Over the years since the MPC shows, Bruce continued his craft, ultimately being awarded yet another national level “Best in Show” at the 2003 GSL-XIX.  Bruce will not soon be forgotten. 

TS

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Wow, so sad to hear.  Bruce was the guy to beat at the MPC contests in the seventies.  Those days are precious memories for me because of the friendships and competition In the seventies.  I met Bruce at several of the Michigan contests along with Chuck Helpie and Tim Boyd....frequently versus the Ohio guys like Gary Dale, Jim Bunch, brother Mike Bunch, and myself. Those were days when it frequently came down to Ohio vs Michigan builders and it was a rivalry, but a fun one.  Bruce was THE guy.  His cars were almost always at the National Championship Finals for several years in a row.  I admired his scratchbuidling prowess and innovative paint schemes.  Guys like Bruce deserve to have their work in the National Model Car Builder Museum.  His work was top notch for many years and he deserves to be honored for it.   

• Like 1