Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973' Chevrolet El Camino

Hello, Gents!

As all of my current projectsย  are paused for different reasons I decided to startย  fourth generation of El Camino!

It looked like this:

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

or like this in 74-75

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

So: the resin kit contains almost everything you need to build a handsome car, except for the rear axle, suspensions, wheels, cardan shaft and mufflers

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

But there are some bugs

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

The front bumper is slightly curved outward. That's just it's already covered with chrome and you need to unbend it more carefully.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

A separate hood is curved, but there is no engine. You can also glue it tightly

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

The bench seems small relative to the width of the body. However, after digging in the network, I found such a drawing

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

That is, the length is almost necessary, but the depth of the seat is shorter by 4mm. I don't know what to do with it yet. I'll decide along the way.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

The bottom, apparently copied from a similar whale. Perhaps it is 69'Olds 442, which is why it is recommended as a donor for the suspension. It can be seen that the caster himself repaired the bubble on the front stabilizer.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

The wind screen is vacuum formed and, as we can see, is covered in bumps from bubbles.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

And these are the taillights, which should be made of transparent resin, in theory. But obviously the stars didn't come together and the red dye probably killed the transparency.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

But there is also good news: I have already estimated the wheels from the 77 Ford. It is only necessary to sand down the caps. They stick out too much.

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

Yes, I also figured out a donor for the rear gearbox and mufflers and I'm thinking about replacing the front levers, but more on that later!

ย 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

Cool! Will this be available here in the states? Also, what would be the doner car?

That's the Motor City Resin Casters kit, Mike.

Good luck getting one though. The waiting list for the first batch was long and I don't know if they ever did cast any more.

http://www.motorcityresincasters.com/73ElCamino.htm

15 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Figures.ย ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'd try getting ahold of them Mike. Like I said,

I don't know if they ever did any more.

It was very popular so there might be a good chance that he is doing more.

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Whooo! I just saw the price. No thanks.

Hello, Mike! Steve is right! It isย Motor City Resin Casters kit and the price is good. I have payed $100+ withย deliverance couple years before.

Now let's go!

16_online

I guess I was lucky to found some pictures of Caminoย bottom. Though it's 1968 model the bottom looks mostly the same.

By the way: what is the right name for car bottom to write down in search window?

Here we can see lower wheel arms, which I don't have. But looking at the next photo of repaired Camino I have found the way to make new arms.

17_online

I can make it from brass wire 0,8mm. But first I should fill rectangular hole in wheel wells with a piece of 2mm plastic.

13_online

14_online

15_online

There is how upper arms looks

25_online

Here are some billets for arms: front semi axles, wells for springs andย rotary fists (if I call it right)

19_online

Semi axles in place

20_online

Now let's solder all this mess

21_online

22_online

23_online

And there are copies of muffler and differential drilled & pierced with 3mm plastic tube and 2mm steel spike inside.

24_online

Don't pay attention to the bell in front ofย differential. It is injection sprue to be deleted.

Comments are welcome! :)

• Like 2

Nice work soldering the front arms Sergey , I'll definitely be following your progress !ย  I also have one of these from Motor City Resin and just pulled it out to check the parts , my hood fits perfect and the bumper is nice and straight . I'm really surprised they would ship a kit with warped parts like that , did you buy it directly from them or from a third party ?ย  I also built my own El Camino from scratch and used the AMT '68 chassis and suspension , it worked great !ย  Here's the WIP for it , go to page 3 for the chassis .

ย 

Thank you, Guys!

ย 

Finishing front suspension

26_online

ย 

27_online

Fitting. Yes, not everything is symmetrical yet, but we will try.

28_online

the axis of rotation of the wheel should sit deeper, inside the disc. And now rotated wheel is not in the center of the arch jet.

29_online

I have already started working with the inside of the disk. I cut out the brake drum to glue it deeper.

30_online

31_online

ย 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 11:00 PM, TooOld said:

Nice work soldering the front arms Sergey , I'll definitely be following your progress !ย  I also have one of these from Motor City Resin and just pulled it out to check the parts , my hood fits perfect and the bumper is nice and straight . I'm really surprised they would ship a kit with warped parts like that , did you buy it directly from them or from a third party ?ย  I also built my own El Camino from scratch and used the AMT '68 chassis and suspension , it worked great !ย  Here's the WIP for it , go to page 3 for the chassis .

Thank you, Bob! I also thought that my MCR's El Camino is perfect, before I started to work with it. May be the deal is that I'm aย perfectionist?

Yes I have bought the kitย directly fromย Motor City Resin.

I'm impressed with your work! I think your 73' El Camino is looks more right, then MCR's one. The hood part of a kit I work with is not so horizontal as it should.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, Sergey said:

ะ ะธััƒะฝะพะบ

The front bumper is slightly curved outward. That's just it's already covered with chrome and you need to unbend it more carefully.

Instead of bending it and risking breaking it or messing up the chrome, try just cutting a notch in the middle and bending it back into shape, then a drop of super glue to hold it there.ย 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:15 AM, Sergey said:

I have payed $100+ withย deliverance

Did someone say "Deliverance"? ๐Ÿ˜จ

lonnie_deliverance.jpg.3e7fce835022f68f1cf331871f7a6500.jpg

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 4:15 AM, Sergey said:

Here are some billets for arms: front semi axles, wells for springs andย rotary fists (if I call it right)

semi axles = spindles

Your build is coming along nicely. I like the scratch-built tubular A-arms. I'll be following along!

Edited by bisc63
add info

Motor City Casters still has some of these. I ordered one the other day. I already have a smallblock Chevy engine in the parts bin and I ordered the sport mirrors from ebay. I have something special planned for this project. Stay tuned, I think a lot of you will like it.

• 1 month later...

Hello, dear colleagues!

Summer is hot time for land scape design, so there is so a little chance to modeling. But sometimes I got luck.
I scratched the wheels from the inside and that's what I got (the right wheel). Now the track is what it should.

36_online

Poked around outside the wheel disc ย in an attempt to get Chevrolet hubcaps
37_online

Wound springs on a 3.2mm drill bit

38_online

In this photo, you can see that the frame in the rear overhang curves to the left

45_online

Therefore, the gas tank is cut out. After editing the frame, it will return to its place at the assembly stage.

40_online

It seems to have finished with the front suspension. I made a 3-section link between the wheels. The small tubes marked with arrows serve to adjust the length of the link "in place".

47_online

I started the rear suspension. I haven't trimmed the axle yet.

46_online

Intermediate result

41_online

42_online

43_online

I haven't touched the body yet. just removed the thickness at the bottom of the rear overhang to make it easier to bend. And sand off tail gate a little, because the body is too long/
39_online

Next time I'll show you the rear shock absorbers. Good luck to everyone!
ย 

• Like 5

That's some great scratch building there Sergey. Like the stance also.

I'm still waiting for mine. It hasn't been the 12 weeks yet so I'm still holding out hope that they didn't just take my payment and run. I got billed, but no model yet.

• 4 months later...

Thank you Mike!

Let's shake the dust off the topic!

As promised in August - rear shock absorbers:

44_online

Finally installed, and at the same time adjusted the tail of the frame in hot water. Due to the deformation of the silicone mold, the left frame rail "went to the left" and became shorter than the right by 2mm.

49_online

50_online

The same frame rails, but with a tank

51_online

Yes, I was looking at the reference photo here and realized that not only the front of the wing has a negative slope, but also the entire front panel

48_online

But trans-kit has it vertical

54_online

That is, before giving the right slope to the front of the wing, which I have already started to do (hurried) from the left side...

55_online

....I still need to cut off the front end at the panel line, give the end a negative slope with a putty and glue the front end back, but higher, because it will not work to raise the wing from above / in front, leaving the headlights and grill at the same level.

53_online

In addition, a slight strabismus of the headlights was found, which also requires correction in the sawn state.

52_online

Fortunately, the grill is a separate part here. I hope I will manage without losses.

56_online

Stay turned!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone!

On 1/12/2023 at 8:19 AM, Tabbysdaddy said:

This is very cool, but no shock would be mounted to the backing plates.ย 

I was guided by this reference photo:

57_online

It was the easiest way to mount them.

Thank you Anton for more reference pictures!

Edited by Sergey