Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just opened my 1:16 scale AMT 1957 Tbird

I haven't built the '57, but I built the '55 T-Bird when I was young. A very simple kit that went together easily. If I recall, the opening doors are straightforward, just follow the instructions carefully. If you get stuck, give a holler, but I think you find this kit a stress-free build.

15 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I haven't built the '57, but I built the '55 T-Bird when I was young. A very simple kit that went together easily. If I recall, the opening doors are straightforward, just follow the instructions carefully. If you get stuck, give a holler, but I think you find this kit a stress-free build.

Thanks for the reply. Only have one question at this time. There are mold lines right behind the doors on the top (see pics). What is the suggested grit to remove those prior to priming her?

FC2E1EDD-FF6D-4E65-8532-745628A70C31.jpeg

FB593EE1-0E84-450D-A858-7B5E2AEF35E9.jpeg

I'll usually use a small half-round file to remove something like that, followed by 400 grit paper on the worked area prior to primer.

Trying to remove those with just sandpaper...the paper tends to ride over the high spots and cut plastic down adjacent to them, making a wave.

File it flat first, you don't get that particular problem.

I have the 57 under way but it on hold at this point. Thus far picking color lol. The under body is all painted. And the grill and hub cap wash is done on mine.

When I first got this kit I posted pictures of the body because I got a bunch of messages  how the windshield frames had come through broken in earlier versions of this kit. As you know with this kit there is a piece of sprue supporting the frame now. As yet I have not cut that away.

Looks like a straight forward easy typical AMT build to me. I anticipate no Issues with door hinges. It should be good experience for you if you've never done hinges before.. Course I say that just coming off MiniCrafts Model A 1/16 scale door hinges which are a basic nightmare. This is going to be so easy ! Much like the 57 Fairlane I imagine only bigger parts to get your mitts on to.

I haven't looked at the mold lines much as yet. I don't anticipate a big struggle though. I tend to scrape away the roughest stuff scraping with a hobby knife, then go to those foam fingernail blocks. Then down to micro mesh pads. Prime and see what I've got. This is a bigger body so being level will mater all the more, you don't want it all wavy so I'd avoid just cut sandpaper and bare fingers unless its supported with a block ( I do that as well). Those pads are I think are around 220, 360 and 400 grits. Identified by color and you can get them at any nail salon supply shop. I use them all. If I see sand scratches then I use micro mesh to about 1000 or 1500 then prime. But as Ace said primer should cover the 400 ok, 400 is as far as I went in 1/1 before primer. I just hate sand scratch swelling lol. And believe me I've seen it happen usually with lacquer top coats ( hot lacquer not model lacquers).

Edited by Dave G.