Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing

ModelcarJR

I'm gonna give this old Prestige kit a try.  Lots of mold lines and flash on the body and other parts but I think I have that all taken care of. I've  painted all the parts and painted the body and related parts today with Dupli-Color Bright Red, interior and exterior.  My Hygrometer let me down today. it said 40% humidity but the body and parts blushed in spots.  I'm going to rub it out a bit and then wait for a better day and add a light coat of paint before clear.  

I also painted and used some flocking on the interior floor and rear tray. It might be a little lumpy but it will do for me.  Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks, Mike and Ray! I appreciate your comments!  I'll let you know how it goes as I get more into the build.  As I mentioned earlier, there were a lot of mold lines, flash and excess plastic on many parts. I took so much plastic off the gullwing doors that there is a gap on top at the crossbar.  I used a couple of pieces of plastic strip glued on the inside of the cross bar to close the gap and won't interfere with the keepers for the pins on the door. I didn't try to make it flush with the crossbar with any putty as that would have been tough to square off on top. I'm just trying to make to gap less noticeable. 

I rubbed out the body pieces a bit yesterday and this morning to even up the finish and get rid of some of the blush, although the clear should take care of it, if the clear doesn't blush. So at 11 AM it was 95 degrees with 50% humidity so I went for it with a can of Tamiya clear.  I got a good gloss finish for the most part. I'll still have to rub it out but  I think I can work with this.  

Contest this Saturday, one of the two I go to each year.  This one won't be ready but I have a few others.  Thanks for looking!  😎

enhance

enhance

I've got this one mostly rubbed out so I thought its time to install the gullwing doors.  There should be enough play inthe slot for the door pins to be able to pull the door out away from the plastic I added underneath the cross bar in order to place the gullwings in the open position. Three photos; before the gullwing doors, open gullwing doors and closed gullwing doors so that you can see the gap has been pretty much closed with the strips of plastic.  so far so good. Next, finish polishing and add BMF. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 1

Great body work on this kit, I've heard a lot of these prestige kits were warped I know the one I'm currently working on is. (Didn't help that it looked like it was stepped on during delivery) can you post some pictures of the interior/dash  assembly when it is time for installation I'm a little confused by the instructions.

Thanks, All!  I appreciate your comments!  Bill, I'll post some pics of the interior installation when I get there.  Pierre, I am not sure how it compares to the Tamiya kit as I haven never built the Tamiya kit.  But the prestige kits were very popular back in the day (late 80s/early 90s).  I built the 63 Ford Galaxie 500 in this series and it is still one of my favorite builds. 

I finally foiled all the windows, etc. and it took a couple of days due the the poor performance of the BMF (lots of white glue) and the fact that the trim is so skinny. I don't like how they manufactured the side vent with the insert that has to be glued in.  There is no way to make it look right with foil and chrome pen. So here are a couple of photos.  I also had some good luck at my last contest for the year.  A first and third place in Street Rod and a third in Street Machine.  Its funny that the Street Rod models are both painted my new favorite color, Dark Toreador Metallic.  Maybe I should paint all my models with this color!  None of my models that swept the Street Stock category in the last contest placed.  Different contest, different participants, different judges.  You just never know until you participate.  Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

1st and 3rd Street Rod

enhance

Third, Street Machine

enhance

Thanks, Mike!  I recently purchased some new foil and haven't used it yet but I hope its as good as the old stuff.  

Finished the body and installed the interior.  The dash is two pieces so I glued the top onto the dash bottom and detailed the face a bit with foil, chrome pen and dry brush which I an not very good at.  Then it installed into the body by gluing each corner to the door jams.  No glue on the top. Then I installed the firewall without glue until it was in place and then ran some glue around each end of the firewall. That way there is no glue on the firewall top and the body. I also installed the trunk floor but realized that I had it in upside down and had painted it that way. 

The hood installed easily being trapped by the inner fenders.  However, the trunk hinging left a lot to be desired. It was either going to come loose, break or be finicky with the trunk not closing without gaps.  So instead of displaying the spare tire wannabe, I chose to glue the trunk lid shut which also eliminated the need for a trunk floor. So now I can display the interior and display the engine with the opening features but I won't have to fool with the trunk lid.  

One other point. The side windows have each fallen off.  They are just two semi-flat pieces of clear plastic to glue onto the flat surface of the door window opening. A photo below shows the very sophisticated assembly. I ruined the chrome foil around 1 window picking off the excess glue, so I just used the chrome pen and let it dry overnight.  Hopefully, if I don't touch it again it will still look good.  Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

FYI, the door windows and chrome surrounds on the 1:1 could be popped out of the car, with the vent windows remaining.  https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1954-57-mercedes-benz-300-sl

PS: The windows can be stored in special bags and placed on the shelf behind the seats.  My point is you don't have to mess with the windows if you don't want to.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 12.18.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 1.47.41 PM.png

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks, Skip! I didn't know that about the side windows. However, it wouldn't work for this build as the wing window and the side window is all one piece of glass.  I guess I could have cut some acetate for the wings but I didn't. So I installed the whole window on both sides. 

Finished the chassis and engine and the body is ready to mount. I left out some of the crossmember parts that I am sure perform a function for the 1:1 but they will only get in the way for this build. I also left the battery out since it won't be seen and I can always use a battery in the parts box.   I have already test-fitted and it will be a challenge tucking the belly pan under the body. I thought the working poseable steering would be too flimsy, but it worked out.  I should be able to finish this one tomorrow!  Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

Thanks, Dan and Carl!  I appreciate your comments! 

Its on wheels!  But not without some re-work.  First, the left front wheel fell off. The spring glue joint had come apart so I repaired it. While doing that I noticed that the wiring harness, a plastic piece in the kit, had fallen off and was wedged under the left front inner fender liner and the belly pan.  How did that happen? No wonder the front of the belly pan was so hard to glue down.  So I removed it and glued it to the valve cover this time and now the belly pan fits much nicer.  So now it all over except for the hardware.  I'll be working on that this afternoon and evening.  Thanks for looking! 

enhance

• Like 1

You’re very nearly there. It’s looking great. 
I built this AMT kit back in the 80s. I found it wickedly difficult, but I was a kid at the time. It didn’t look anywhere as good as yours does. 
I believe the original tool for this kit was another manufacturer. Frog or Aurora maybe?

Thanks, Dan, Mike and Sonny! I appreciate your comments!  Not sure on the origins of this kit but it certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

Its finished but in the process I think I have damaged the paint a bit and the foil looks bad compared to how foil used to look. I have a new sheet so I am hoping for a better result on the next build. I have used chrome pen in several places where foil either wouldn't stick well or has come off.  But it has dulled sufficiently now to look like chrome paint. So, I would classify this one as a rather pedestrian build of an old kit.  Here are a few photos.  Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance