Model Cars Magazine Forum

The great actor James Caan passed away

NYLIBUD

Always liked him and just read an article about this. Was surprised they didn't mention Rollerball in it. I remember it being popular back then even though it was pretty bad in my opinion. He was good in Elf playing a character you didn't expect.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Was surprised they didn't mention Rollerball in it

Every time I hear or see that film's name, I'm reminded of All By Myself by Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers (written by and sung by Walter Lure):

I don't need no wedding hall
I just watch your roller ball
Forget your friends and what they do
I got to get inside of you

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I think my favorite role of his was in A Bridge Too Far

Agreed! BTW, has there ever been a better cast in a WW2 movie!? Caan, Redford, Hopkins, Caine, Connery, Hackman and Lawrence Olivier if I remember correctly. I’m sure I missed someone.

4 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

Agreed! BTW, has there ever been a better cast in a WW2 movie!? Caan, Redford, Hopkins, Caine, Connery, Hackman and Lawrence Olivier if I remember correctly. I’m sure I missed someone.

Just off the top of my head: Elliot Gould, Ryan O'Neal, Edward Fox. And I'm sure we don't have them all yet! 

22 minutes ago, RubiconLJ said:

RIP Sgt Dohun.

The Longest Day would be the only WW2 movie with a better cast than A Bridge Too Far.

Been a long time lurker, first post. 

I'd put Kelly's Heroes right up there, too, unless you're only counting "reality" movies. 

Welcome to the board, BTW. Don't be a stranger! B)

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd put Kelly's Heroes right up there, too, unless you're only counting "reality" movies. 

Well, if we’re talking “non-reality” WW2 flicks, then The Dirty Dozen cast might just edge out Kelly’s Heroes (even though Savalas and Southerland were in both; and even though it’s really difficult for me to go against an Eastwood movie.)

1 hour ago, BeakDoc said:

Well, if we’re talking “non-reality” WW2 flicks, then The Dirty Dozen cast might just edge out Kelly’s Heroes (even though Savalas and Southerland were in both; and even though it’s really difficult for me to go against an Eastwood movie.)

Hard to argue with you on that one. Lee Marvin, George Kennedy, Robert Ryan, John Cassavetes, Clint Walker, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown, Trini Lopez....

I think it might have been Donald Sutherland's first movie. :unsure: