Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 rio edsel wagon

TNT

This came to be a few years ago. I was looking for and old station wagon 1:1 project. Every one i checked on in my budget was gone. I seen a old ford wagon with the edsel doghouse. It was sold. But i had been buying a few lots of models on the bay. Ended up with 3 edsel kits. Had a rio kit and said let me try that it all lined up, except the fenders was a tad short. The side molding lined up but was 2 different styles. Been sitting about 4 years.20220707_224352.jpg.bd5ccecd7b882bee3f0407ba6e516c6b.jpg20220707_224405.jpg.82240da615e213cdbccf3272587b744f.jpg20220707_224422.jpg.be1d9d82763e4178ca38abbd305eab80.jpg

• Like 1

You've got the beginnings of an Edsel Roundup going there. Cool project. The Roundup's trim could be replicated relatively easily with some small half-round styrene strips, or build it "cleaned up". Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, got my own stalled Edsel wagon project I fight with on occasion, a 4-door '59.

https://gaukmotors.co.uk/motorpedia/car-make/edsel/roundup-1958

11 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

You've got the beginnings of an Edsel Roundup going there. Cool project. The Roundup's trim could be replicated relatively easily with some small half-round styrene strips, or build it "cleaned up". Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, got my own stalled Edsel wagon project I fight with on occasion, a 4-door '59.

https://gaukmotors.co.uk/motorpedia/car-make/edsel/roundup-1958

That is a sweet wagon. Love the seafoam type green. Good luck.

This should be an interesting build. Way back when there were more than a few '57 and '58 Fords with Edsel front end sheet metal added either by design or to replace front end damage. The Edsel parts were cheaper second hand than the Ford parts at the time. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

This should be an interesting build. Way back when there were more than a few '57 and '58 Fords with Edsel front end sheet metal added either by design or to replace front end damage. The Edsel parts were cheaper second hand than the Ford parts at the time. 

Cool info. Makes sense. I have always like the edsel fronts, guess mmaybe because they are different looking.

The wagons were all essentially Ford from the cowl back, with minor changes to the tail light area and rear hatch details. The fenders should have a body line (I see now you sanded that out with the chrome trim) that sweeps back to meet the line in the Ford door. The tail gate bottom half was also unique (outer skin) between Ford and Edsel due to drastic differences in tail light designs. Later models used exactly same gates with different chrome trim separating Ford and Edsel, strictly a cost-cutting measure. All the Edsel station wagons were built in the Louisville, KY Ford plant.

Edited by bisc63
correction

On the subject of differences between the Ford and Edsel bodies and the wagons in particular, there is some styling Q's that are unique to the Edsel. A good source for the Edsel specific taillights can be found in the old AMT Fairlane 500 kit.  The Edsel taillights were one of the options in this old 3 in 1 kit. This can be built without it just depends on the builder's vision for this build.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

The wagons were all essentially Ford from the cowl back, with minor changes to the tail light area and rear hatch details. The '58 Edsel wagons do  however use some unique sheet metal with regards to the front fenders and tail gate. The fenders should have an extra body line (not used on other Edsels) that sweeps back to meet the line in the Ford door. The tail gate bottom half was also unique (outer skin) between Ford and Edsel due to drastic differences in tail light designs. Later models used exactly same gates with different chrome trim separating Ford and Edsel, strictly a cost-cutting measure. All the Edsel station wagons were built in the Louisville, KY Ford plant.

Thanks for the history. I am from louisville,ky but not until 63.

8 hours ago, espo said:

On the subject of differences between the Ford and Edsel bodies and the wagons in particular, there is some styling Q's that are unique to the Edsel. A good source for the Edsel specific taillights can be found in the old AMT Fairlane 500 kit.  The Edsel taillights were one of the options in this old 3 in 1 kit. This can be built without it just depends on the builder's vision for this build.    

Thanks, i may have that kit.

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Man that is so cool seeing an Edsel wagon project going. Definitely different!

Thanks. I need to figure out how clean up the door lines. Putty just pops out. May mix up a little jb weld and use a thread. 

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I'll be watching this one! I built one a couple of years ago. But, I grafted the roof from the Del Rio onto the Edsel body and shortened the quarter panels behind the rear wheels.

Sounds cool. Have any pics?