Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scrap Metal - Update!!!


tiking
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not much to say here, but just experimenting. Saw a photo of a similar scene and thought I'd replicate it. Will probably add a figure or two, maybe a dog would suffice; not sure. The suv will have a load on top that I am working on completing. More details here and there. 

 

junk-vi.jpg
junk1-vi.jpg
junk2-vi.jpg
junk3-vi.jpg
junk4-vi.jpg
junk5-vi.jpg
junk6-vi.jpg
junk7-vi.jpg
junk8-vi.jpg
junk9-vi.jpg
junk9a-vi.jpg
junk9b-vi.jpg
junk9c-vi.jpg
junk10-vi.jpg
junk11-vi.jpg
junk12-vi.jpg
junk13-vi.jpg
junk14-vi.jpg
junk15-vi.jpg
junk16-vi.jpg
junk17-vi.jpg
 
Edited by tiking
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incredibly cool. The staging of the little SUV and the way it's squatting (sagging rear springs?) just makes the scene, for me.

The weathering and variety of debris is endlessly fascinating. It's a "simple" scene but there's so much to look at.

My only critique is that the VW van in the midst of the I-beam debris would probably have been crushed and warped by the weight of all that heavy junk getting piled on top of it!!  And if there was a way to sprinkle the place with 1-2mm debris (bolts, washers, bits of rebar, pieces of cable) the density and dispersion of junk would match the reference/inspiration images even more closely!!

Thanks for sharing. I don't know how you achieve such believable and realistic surface finishes--it's so inspiring to see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your feel for surfaces, color, and textures always amazes and inspires me.

You have a remarkable ability to represent reality very believably, and you do it consistently.

If there was ever anyone who should write a book on the subject, you're the guy.   :D

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

Incredibly cool. The staging of the little SUV and the way it's squatting (sagging rear springs?) just makes the scene, for me.

The weathering and variety of debris is endlessly fascinating. It's a "simple" scene but there's so much to look at.

My only critique is that the VW van in the midst of the I-beam debris would probably have been crushed and warped by the weight of all that heavy junk getting piled on top of it!!  And if there was a way to sprinkle the place with 1-2mm debris (bolts, washers, bits of rebar, pieces of cable) the density and dispersion of junk would match the reference/inspiration images even more closely!!

Thanks for sharing. I don't know how you achieve such believable and realistic surface finishes--it's so inspiring to see!

Thank you for tje suggestion about thr VW. You are right. I'll see what I can do. The photo that inspired this is at the other side of the diorama. The ones in the photos above, are several images that show different types of metal parts look. In fact there are photos of just rims, others with just bolts and other with just I beams. So there are different variations. Glad you like the build. I am still adding more scrap here and there. There will be a load on top of the Suzuki(working on it at the moment). So the dio will have a  slightly different look the next time you see it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Your feel for surfaces, color, and textures always amazes and inspires me.

You have a remarkable ability to represent reality very believably, and you do it consistently.

If there was ever anyone who should write a book on the subject, you're the guy.   :D

 

Awwwww!!!! Very kind of you to say. Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charles . . . I used to own a Suzuki SJ413 Samurai, so I can relate to this latest diorama of yours !

That is one gigantic pile of scrap metal . . . When I opened up your topic this morning I was expecting brilliance . . . and there it is, right there !

I am sure that you will find many ingenious ways of adding those touches of realistic detail that make each one of your dioramas the best.

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought that the first couple of images were your inspiration photos, until I realized that they were the actual diorama. 😮 

Obviously, very convincing rust effects and a nicely composed scene overall!

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Charles . . . I used to own a Suzuki SJ413 Samurai, so I can relate to this latest diorama of yours !

That is one gigantic pile of scrap metal . . . When I opened up your topic this morning I was expecting brilliance . . . and there it is, right there !

I am sure that you will find many ingenious ways of adding those touches of realistic detail that make each one of your dioramas the best.

David

Appreciate your vote of confidence David. :) 

 

2 hours ago, David G. said:

I thought that the first couple of images were your inspiration photos, until I realized that they were the actual diorama. 😮 

Obviously, very convincing rust effects and a nicely composed scene overall!

David G.

 

Thank you too David. Glad you liked the images.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've updated this dio by adding different shades of rust to break the monotone look of the junk in its entirety. I've also added steel rods as a load on top of the Suzuki. I've also added other smaller details here and there and add more interest to an otherwise mute theme. added more photos of different junk piles from different sites around the world. Added a name tag made out of foam. If you've seen the first load of photos I put up, you will then see the small changes I have made. I will add the figures as soon as I have done painting them. Thanks for looking.

junk-vi.jpg
junk_a-vi.jpg
junk_wide-vi.jpg
junk_wide2-vi.jpg
junk_wide3-vi.jpg
junk_wide4-vi.jpg
junk_wide5-vi.jpg
junk_wide6-vi.jpg
junk_wide7-vi.jpg
junk_wide8-vi.jpg
junk1-vi.jpg
junk1a-vi.jpg
junk1b-vi.jpg
junk2-vi.jpg
junk3-vi.jpg
junk4-vi.jpg
junk5-vi.jpg
junk6-vi.jpg
junk7-vi.jpg
junk8-vi.jpg
junk9-vi.jpg
junk10-vi.jpg
junk11-vi.jpg
junk12-vi.jpg
junk13-vi.jpg
junk14-vi.jpg
junk14a-vi.jpg
junk15-vi.jpg
junk16-vi.jpg
junk17-vi.jpg
junk18-vi.jpg
junk19-vi.jpg
junk20-vi.jpg
junk21-vi.jpg
junk22-vi.jpg
junk23-vi.jpg
junk24-vi.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tiking changed the title to Scrap Metal - Update!!!

As usual Charles, there is so much going on in your diorama that it is always worth studying each and every detail. The whole thing just works !

Could I ask where you were able to source the Suzuki SJ413 Samurai kit ? Presumably this model is plastic and not a diecast ?

I can't wait to see the next stage when you add figures to this fascinating diorama . . .

David

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

As usual Charles, there is so much going on in your diorama that it is always worth studying each and every detail. The whole thing just works !

Could I ask where you were able to source the Suzuki SJ413 Samurai kit ? Presumably this model is plastic and not a diecast ?

I can't wait to see the next stage when you add figures to this fascinating diorama . . .

David

Thank you kindly David. I don't remember, exactly where I got it, but it is this kit; https://www.super-hobby.se/products/Suzuki-Jimny-JA11-5.html.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...