Model Cars Magazine Forum

A modelers obituary thread

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Obituaries of modelers who have passed be belong in a place of honor in the general section and not lost in the off topic section.

How about a pinned topic listing the obits and have it as a collection point to list the individual threads.

I agree with you completely. It is particularly dismaying to find sad news about old friends and acquaintances listed amongst news about various D-grade "celebrities", comedy bits and random rants. A slot car forum I belong to has such a topic for its members called The Eternal Podium. May I suggest Forever Luminaries as a possible title?

• Like 3

I’d like to see a tradition where we post favorite builds by some of our favorite builders in their tribute thread.

Recently I’ve started saving photos of builds by some of my favorite builders who have passed too soon, so that when Fotki/Photobucket/whoever deletes their accounts in time they’re at least backed up somewhere…

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There is an obit thread buried somewhere on the board.  So I get and support your wish. 

We've lost way too many folks lately!  

That is just plain sad. It is something that needs to be pinned.

The recent passing of Bruce Owen shows that relegating the modeler obituaries to the off topic is not acceptable.  He was one of the premier modelers. He dominated the MPC contests and won a GSL best in show.  His passing was barely noticed in the clutter of the off topic lounge. 

We need to preserve the legacy of the hobby. Doug Whyte has been videoing modelers for future reference. We need to acknowledge their accomplishments. A pinned topic in general will put the accomplishments of those who passed in the spotlight.

As said we need to make sure the digital archives are preserved.

We aren't getting any younger.

13 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I think "Off Topic" is the most appropriate place to talk about death on a family oriented forum. It's one of the reasons I don't go in there. 

Exactly. I can see having an obituary thread pinned in the Off Topic section. But, not here. This section is for General Automotive Talk (Trucks And Cars). An obituary thread just doesn't belong here.

• Like 2

Seems like some are really splitting hairs about something that might not even happen at all.

I also happen to agree that obits (of any type) are not good fit for this section (regardless of what one can perceive as a loophole in the forums description).

• Confused 1

It's a touchy subject, and I think the opinions will vary as to people's connection to the hobby.

I just went through the Off Topic Lounge and found the Bruce Owens thread.  It was somewhere between  "What Did You Get Today" and "What Did You Eat For Dinner",  I went four pages deep and while I found death threads for general celebrities (which we really don't need on the board at all) and I didn't find mention of another modeler who has passed.   Sad.

For those of you who don't know or have met anyone here in person, who thinks we're all Artificial Intelligence Robots for you to play with,  yea you don't need to know who has passed.  You don't know who they are anyway. For those who are invested in the community, understand the history, or whether you have corresponded with folks some 20 years on boards or those who know a lot of these folks in person, it's different!    

For me, I have been in clubs and attended shows since the 1990s.  I have been on message boards from the AOL Model Chat days, and know people that long.  When someone you have bantered with, or exchanged emails and maybe parts, it's not like meeting someone new when you finally meet them face to face at a show.  Same way you are very sad to hear of their passing.

And due to my overinvolvement in the hobby I know a lot of the folks in person.  There were people I looked forward to seeing every year at NNL East like Rich Manson.  I knew him 30 years.  And there are people I'd see at GSL every two years.  Several have died this past year. The Jersey Shore Model Car Club lost two members recently, Pete Linsky and Russ Reber, who I knew 30 years. I was on the phone with a friend the other day and we talked about all the people who were in the room for the last NNL East (3 years ago!) who we have lost since then.  It's sad and they will be missed.  They are family.

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Not true.

From the general header

General Automotive Talk (Trucks and Cars)

For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY. Both trucks and cars are appropriate topics.

Note that obituaries are nowhere in the description. 

Which makes this the more appropriate spot for obituaries of modelers.

HOW?

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I just went through the Off Topic Lounge and found the Bruce Owens thread.  It was somewhere between  "What Did You Get Today" and "What Did You Eat For Dinner",  I went four pages deep and while I found death threads for general celebrities (which we really don't need on the board at all) and I didn't find mention of another modeler who has passed.   Sad.

That is why the suggestion was to create a sticky thread (In the off-topic section) to hold death announcements related to  all the deceased modelers (or other hobby-related personalities).  That way you would not have sift through all the celebrity death notices, or silly word game threads.  They would always be all be right of top of the forum.  I think that would be an excellent idea.

We have and are discussing this. This site focuses way to much on death, in my opinion. There are guys racing to be the first to post when someone dies.

My guess is that a pinned thread in the Off-Topic area would be acceptable for model related death notices. I do see some folks trying to start separate threads for individuals that they feel are icons or to important to be lumped into a general thread.

I will start (and pin a thread) for you guys to use so we can see how it goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

My guess is that a pinned thread in the Off-Topic area would be acceptable for model related death notices. I do see some folks trying to start separate threads for individuals that they feel are icons or to important to be lumped into a general thread.

In those instances it would still be nice of those individuals who post separate thread to post a link to their thread in the pinned Obit thread. That way it will be easy to find at a later time.