Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Grand Sport chassis 004 Sebring 1964

Built from the Accurate Miniature kit with a a few changes to reflect the specific car

I am particularly pleased with the paint finishes. Everything is brush painted. Vallejo primers and color coats. I did my own mix for the body color to look as much as possible to GM Silver Blue color. Tamiya acrylic clear, again brush painted then polished. A brushed Future seal coat applied over decals.

Modifications limited to wheel opening profiles and a scratch built front grille. A few detailing adds such as PE seat belts and underwood plumbing & wiring. I also substituted the way too big kit tires with the ones from a Fujimi GT40 kit.

Extensive work to get the proper ride height and hood fitment over the engine as described it the w.i.p. of this project.

Thank you for watching and thanks to all of you for your input & advice during the w.i.p.

Grand Sport 1.jpg

Grand Sport 2.jpg

Grand Sport 3.jpg

Grand Sport 4.jpg

Grand Sport 5.jpg

Grand Sport 6.jpg

Grand Sport 7.jpg

Grand Sport 8.jpg

Grand Sport 9.jpg

Grand Sport 10.jpg

Grand Sport 11.jpg

Grand Sport 13.jpg

Grand Sport 14.jpg

• Like 9

Congratulations on Outstanding Car and Workmanship Pierre!  I really enjoyed watching you work on this car and your attention to detail.

The Paint and Color look absolutely pristine!

I will be looking forward to seeing what you will do next as well!

4 hours ago, absmiami said:

Really well done - 

are you feeling lucky ?

care to tackle the Accurate Miniatures Mclaren M2b ??  ??

This Corvette was my first AM kit and I sort of learned by trial and error. The kit has great parts but integration is somewhat lacking. I took my time and worked through the issues.

I know the McLaren would be a bigger challenge but I'd love to take it on

Thank you all for the very nice feedback. some of you witnessed my struggles as documented in the w.i.p. but in the end I really enjoyed this project. The kit's few flaws are far outweighed by the beautifully cast body and the many lovely detailed parts. 

I highly recommend it.

Wow, Pierre. what a stunning outcome of a fabulous build. The best I've ever seen of this model in paint, chassis, engine, stance. I could go on and on. I believe this is your best results ever. the photography with the shots of the real car is also very ingenious. Let's the viewer know what the actual car looked like.  Almost seems like you took the 1:1 car and shrunk it down to 1/24 scale. Again, congrats on such a wonderful achievement.

Came out beautiful Pierre! The lowering job you did as well as substituting the kit tires with the GT40 tires has really cranked up the realism on this GS. Much better than OOB!

I am in awe of your brush painting skills. Normally I encourage my adult friends who are new to scale modeling to invest in an airbrush but, it in your case, it look’s like it would be an unnecessary expenditure! This Corvette has got to be the best looking brush-painted car model I’ve ever seen posted here. Bravo!

14 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Wow, Pierre. what a stunning outcome of a fabulous build. The best I've ever seen of this model in paint, chassis, engine, stance. I could go on and on. I believe this is your best results ever. the photography with the shots of the real car is also very ingenious. Let's the viewer know what the actual car looked like.  Almost seems like you took the 1:1 car and shrunk it down to 1/24 scale. Again, congrats on such a wonderful achievement.

Thank you Mark. I am very happy with the results. I finally have a photo setup I really like. Other than making the background board to reflect the specific type of race car, the setup only requires a few minutes to set up. I just use my iPhone and minimal post processing.

12 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Came out beautiful Pierre! The lowering job you did as well as substituting the kit tires with the GT40 tires has really cranked up the realism on this GS. Much better than OOB!

I am in awe of your brush painting skills. Normally I encourage my adult friends who are new to scale modeling to invest in an airbrush but, it in your case, it look’s like it would be an unnecessary expenditure! This Corvette has got to be the best looking brush-painted car model I’ve ever seen posted here. Bravo!

Thank you John. The brush painting has been a journey in experimentation since I joined the hobby 5 years ago. I now have a process that works for me.

Well done but this must be of the car before it had done any time on the track....much too clean. Have a couple of those kits but yet to build one, too many models and too little time so I am envious of the great job that you've done.