Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scalefinishes says there basecoat and enamels no longer compatible with tamiya primer?

15 minutes ago, Mark said:

Every so often, someone here or elsewhere discovers an enamel primer, when they try to shoot lacquer on top of it.

The cheap store brand primers, and the basic Rust-Oleum (non-automotive) primers are enamel.

Now we're getting somewhere.  Thanks!

I had Scale Finishes enamel clear wrinkle their lacquer on a build recently.  

Took all the proper precautions I normally would with a hot lacquer, and the primer and lacquer coats were fine…but the enamel wrinkled the lacquer.  

I stripped, reshot and used a different lacquer clear, no problems - but I’ve got to wonder why they’re apparently using such hot solvents in their paint that even careful application could case this to happen.  

I mean, they’re mixing the paint themselves, why not mix with reducers that are actually suitable for the task?

Same, even, with the lacquer color coats.  Why mix them so hot that they can wrinkle and ruin styrene if an unsuspecting person doesn’t use exactly the right primer?

DISCLAIMER: I know many of you get outstanding results with these automotive paints, and I’ve had SOME success with them too, but it’s certainly not as easy as it could be…

It seems like the newer Tamiya primers (made on the last 6 months or so) are having issues with my paints.

I recommend that you test whatever primer you like before you use my paint over it. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please email me scalefinishes@gmail.com 

• Like 2

Whenever you try mixing materials from multiple sources...painting, resin casting, whatever...TEST FIRST before risking something you have a lot of time and/or money invested in.

Particularly true when painting a 1:1 car...just one look at the cost of the materials should convince anyone...

I use Speed Shapes when I am experimenting with any sort of paint and primer combo. IMO plastic spoons are too small and not enough surface area. Example the spoon does not craze. Then you paint the car. Parts of the hood crazes and nothing else. The Speed Shapes are only a couple of dollars. They are as a big as a 1:24 body or a little more.

Mike011-0508.jpg?20210723153435

On 7/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mike 1017 said:

I use Speed Shapes when I am experimenting with any sort of paint and primer combo. IMO plastic spoons are too small and not enough surface area. Example the spoon does not craze. Then you paint the car. Parts of the hood crazes and nothing else. The Speed Shapes are only a couple of dollars. They are as a big as a 1:24 body or a little more.

Where do you get these from?

On 7/14/2022 at 9:22 AM, Scalefinishes said:

It seems like the newer Tamiya primers (made on the last 6 months or so) are having issues with my paints.

I recommend that you test whatever primer you like before you use my paint over it. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please email me scalefinishes@gmail.com 

Someone commented on the newsletter video that there was a recall but I havent been able to find any info that supports that.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:54 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't know what the issue might be, but I've used Scale Finishes lacquer base coat over Duplicolor primer on numerous occasions.

They're probably just trying to avoid complaints about incompatibility, even if it's not necessarily a problem.

You know how people can get when they screw something up.

They like to find someone other than themselves to blame.

This way they can say "I told you so".

I'll still be using the same primer I always use.

Call me a risk taker! :D

Steve

The Duplicolor primer is very good.  Been using that primer since 96.  I've sprayed Imron, Centari,  PPG and  Duplicolor laquer paints over the Duplicolor primer base numerous times.  All good results.  Just my opinion, I think this primer is much better than Tamiya, Testors, etc primers.  

On 7/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, Mike 1017 said:

So you are implying that the speed shapes are made from the same polystyrene plastic as model kits? I have feeling that those speed shapes are not polystyrene, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

As for plastic spoons, you have to select the correct ones.  You need to find the ones made from polystyrene.  The recycling symbol is "6".  Majority of the inexpensive plastic spoons are polystyrene. They are also fairly brittle.  But you can also find spoons that are much more flexible, made from Polypropylene. recycling symbol "5".  Those are not affected by most paint solvents.  To make things even more muddy, there are multiple formulas of polystyrene out there (just like for model car kits).  Some are more resistant to hot solvents than others.

2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

The Duplicolor primer is very good.  Been using that primer since 96.  I've sprayed Imron, Centari,  PPG and  Duplicolor laquer paints over the Duplicolor primer base numerous times.  All good results.  Just my opinion, I think this primer is much better than Tamiya, Testors, etc primers.  

I agree.

And the fact that virtually any lacquer used over it becomes easy to strip with Super Clean is a bonus.

I never have any worries whatsoever that I will have any difficulty removing a paint job should it become necessary when using Duplicolor primer.

Steve

I disagree with Dupli Color primer being better than Tamiya. I used to use Dupli Color and since I do mostly customs, I was always fighting ghosting issues with it. It would cause crazy glue, putty and joints in the styrene to shrink. Not to mention that it doesn't lay down nearly as smooth as Tamiya or go on as thin. One is made to go over styrene. The other is not. 

10 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I disagree with Dupli Color primer being better than Tamiya. I used to use Dupli Color and since I do mostly customs, I was always fighting ghosting issues with it. It would cause crazy glue, putty and joints in the styrene to shrink. Not to mention that it doesn't lay down nearly as smooth as Tamiya or go on as thin. One is made to go over styrene. The other is not. 

I used some tamiya white primer on current build I'm doing and it is amazing stuff.  It does lay down silky smooth and self levels amazingly well.  Mr surfacer thinned right with either MLT or rapid thinner it's the same if not better.  

36 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I guess that’s why the call them “opinions”. 😊

Steve

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I guess that’s why the call them “opinions”. 😊

Steve

Not opinions. Facts from experience. When I spray Tamiya over any model (no matter how old or new), I don't have to worry about it crazing the styrene. Can't say that about Dupli Color. 

13 hours ago, peteski said:

So you are implying that the speed shapes are made from the same polystyrene plastic as model kits? I have feeling that those speed shapes are not polystyrene, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

As for plastic spoons, you have to select the correct ones.  You need to find the ones made from polystyrene.  The recycling symbol is "6".  Majority of the inexpensive plastic spoons are polystyrene. They are also fairly brittle.  But you can also find spoons that are much more flexible, made from Polypropylene. recycling symbol "5".  Those are not affected by most paint solvents.  To make things even more muddy, there are multiple formulas of polystyrene out there (just like for model car kits).  Some are more resistant to hot solvents than others.

My point is that there is not enough surface on a spoon to get an accurate feed back

We've developed this massive, high impact Polystyrene Speed Shape to give you the best possible surface for testing and display. The larger surface area and curves, over our original Speed Shapes, will help bring out some of the colors and finish details that could be too subtle to notice on the smaller shapes.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

My point is that there is not enough surface on a spoon to get an accurate feed back

We've developed this massive, high impact Polystyrene Speed Shape to give you the best possible surface for testing and display. The larger surface area and curves, over our original Speed Shapes, will help bring out some of the colors and finish details that could be too subtle to notice on the smaller shapes.

Mike

Speed Shapes - Perfect For Testing Plasti Dip® Car Paint | DipYourCar – DipYourCar.com

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 2:12 PM, Mike 1017 said:

I can see where these would be very beneficial. Especially if one wanted to test color combos. I've seen them before and have meant to get a few to have on hand. But, haven't yet.