Model Cars Magazine Forum

Son of Troublemaker

unclescott58

I’ve got mixed feelings on this one. I never liked the looks of the original Troublemaker. The overall design was okay. But, the graphics I found blah, and boring. But the “new” Son of Troublemaker I like the looks of it. Tom Daniel’s son Keith did a good livening up the vehicle with more interesting graphics. 

Now as for kit itself? I was a little disappointed. Despite looking fine on the sprue, the main frame rails were warped. Its not really noticeable until one starts assembling the frame. Normally Tom Daniel kits are fairly easy to assemble. This design required you build it in a different way from any funny car frame I’ve built before. You have a lot of little parts in assembling the frame. And, you have to build it around the rear axle at one point. The axle is molded on to back of engine/transmission. So basically you have to build the frame around this whole separate assembly. Rather than adding it after the frames been assembled. It would be okay if your planning on painting the engine and chassis the same color before adding paint. I found a separate color for the frame and engine became a bit of a problem with building this kit. I’m sure Tom Daniel himself did not design the parts and assembly layout for this kit. I’m wondering what the Monogram engineers were thinking in designing this one. It works. But, is a bit of a headache compared to other funny cars kits I’ve built in the past. Including Monogram funny cars. 

The colored plastic this kit is molded in, is a mixed bag also. On one hand it looks so good, I decided not to paint the body overall. Just leave it as it is. But, on what I did paint, the plastic was not happy with taking paint. And using Tamiya primer first didn’t help. Any glue point on the chassis/frame required touch up later on. The blue bled through. Things like painting the bumpers were a problem too. The plastic just did not like paint. Despite how good the colored  plastic looked in this case, i would have preferred if the kit was molded in plain white plastic. I can lay down a fairly good blue paint job my self. 

In general, I like the way the kit ended up. It looks pretty good overall. Most people won’t notice the flaws, problems, or mistakes I made, in looking at the results. In general, it’s an okay kit. 

B11DD91D-7FBB-40AB-88AD-573941527B77.jpeg

133F0860-3A73-4AD0-AF0C-8B220C336627.jpeg

E65B4BC5-6932-41A3-9838-758D1CDF2EBE.jpeg

6E7269A5-6002-4DEC-9863-A56F086CA4A3.jpeg

07103C07-5DFC-4A81-91D5-53965ADEC2F7.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks good, I like it !

15 hours ago, oldscool said:

Looks ok to me.

15 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Cool!

14 hours ago, larman said:

Yours does look good! I bought one too, eventhough I was not crazy about the car, I liked the box art so much also.

Thank you, for your kind words gentlemen. 

5 hours ago, sflam123 said:

I always like the unique "take" on drag racing of the Tom Daniel cars.  I had not seen his one before.  Pretty cool!!   You did an excellent job of building it!

Tom Daniel is one of my favorite designers of all time. I like the stuff his son Kelly is doing in updating the looks of his dad’s designs. Yet not ruining his dad’s original designs. 

• Like 1

Your model looks great! Enjoyed reading your building experience as I'm just about done with mine and could relate to your comments. I didn't have any problems with paint on the chassis and I'm going with the unpainted body also.

I like building this type of model every so often since they are usually fairly easy and you can paint some things whatever color you like without having to reference a real car.

On 7/25/2022 at 2:08 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Awesome look !! 👍😀

On 7/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, Street Rod said:

Very cool!

On 7/30/2022 at 2:43 AM, slusher said:

Looks Terrific, really great work!

21 hours ago, TonyK said:

Your model looks great! Enjoyed reading your building experience as I'm just about done with mine and could relate to your comments. I didn't have any problems with paint on the chassis and I'm going with the unpainted body also.

I like building this type of model every so often since they are usually fairly easy and you can paint some things whatever color you like without having to reference a real car.

17 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Looks good to me, and totally agree on the updated graphics by Kelly Daniel. Imagine what Tom Daniel could have done if the decal-printing technology of today had been available back in the late 1960s and early 1970s?

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. 

• 2 months later...