Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sciatica

Mike 1017

On June 21st I went to the emergency room because I had such pain from my Butt Cheek down to my knee. I was diagnosed with Sciatica. I have heard of it but never experienced it. My doctor prescribed a steroid pack, muscle relaxer, pain medicine, and physical therapy.

Today 7/15 is the first day with no pain and I can walk as normal. I had to put up with this pain for almost 25 days. 

Anyone else have had the pleasure of dealing with this and how long did it take to get back to normal activities?

Mike

P.S. I WOULD wish this on my worst enemy!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

...Anyone else have had the pleasure of dealing with this and how long did it take to get back to normal activities?

Yup. Still dealing with it after hairline-cracking my pelvis some years back. OTC pain meds, forcing myself to hike as much as I can find time for, and recently stepping up the physical therapy regime have helped enormously...but sometimes the pain is so bad at night I dream about it and wake up, can't sleep until I've walked around, stretched for an hour, or had a hot shower.

Makes it kinda rough climbing into, around, and under the cars, but the PT has made it bearable.

I've had Sciatica in addition to other pains ( note that I'm NOT performing a compare-&-contrast here ) for many years:

- Herniated discs in cervical (neck)
- Herniated discs in lumbar (lower-back)
- Contusions on my sternum and ribs (long since healed, but drastic temperature and humidity changes remind me of their once-great territory)
- Sciatica from the aforementioned lumbar damage

As @Ace-Garageguymentioned, P.T. and stretching help monumentally. I also perform light weight-lifting (think: one of those machines with a pull-bar, sliding weights, leg lifts, etc.) on the rig in the clubhouse of the apartments where I live. I would imagine that water therapy would work well, too. Even some 'walking' in the shallow-end of a warm pool may work (I've not tested this).

"What a drag it is getting old..." 

• Like 1

Broke my back in 1997 and had lumbar fusion and laminectomy done at 2 levels, was supposed to by 3 but my heart rate became unstable so they closed asap.

Left me with more pain than I had before the surgery.

Sciatica is a daily thing I have dealt with ever since. Not fun at all!

Beware of the pain meds, steroids and muscle relaxants. If you don't have acid reflux now you will have in due time from them.

Mine lead to Barretts Esophagus and the recent removal of a cancerous pollup in my stomach.

• Like 2

Always get a second opinion with this diagnosis, it is what Harry P. was originally diagnosed with. My primary care diagnosed me with sciatica, but my orthopedic surgeon found two fractured vertebrae and a few ruptured discs. He explained that what a lot of doctors diagnose as sciatica is often a symptom of something else. Either way it is no fun. Unless you have had back pain, you have no idea what it is actually like.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Mine [use of pain meds and muscle relaxers] lead to Barretts Esophagus and the recent removal of a cancerous pollup in my stomach.

That Barretts Esophagus deal is no fun (the chronic regurgitation of stomach acid -hydrochloric acid- converts the esophagus to stomach lining!). I was tested for that some 20 years ago, as I had awful acid reflux after eating just about anything. Thankfully the diagnosis was negative; I've been on Prilosec (its generic versions) ever since.

How's your recovery coming along, @OldTrucker?   

• Like 1

I have had to deal with sciatica on and off for several years.It’s so annoying when it acts up.I would describe it almost like having a bad tooth ache throughout my whole lower right half of my body.Thankfully it hasn’t acted up in a while.I also have two herniated disks in my lower back from a past car accident.Weather sometime plays a role in my pain(discomfort).If it’s raining my pain will sometimes act up.Ive tried PT and other methods to get rid of the pain,but it doesn’t really help.So I just pop a couple of Advils when the pain acts up.

I've heard a bit about sciatica from my sister who has it.    I have occasional hip, knee and joint pain...trying to get a lot of walks around the neighborhood w/ the dogs in morning and evening.   The last 5 years I've owned a house w/ stairs, which I didn't have to deal with much the previous 25 years... with my back, I find I get a stabbing pain between the shoulder blades after driving a couple of hours...right where the upper bolster in my Jeep seats hit my back.  The seats in my '14 Jeep are definitely not as comfortable as the seats were in my '00 Jeep were...firmer, narrower, harder bolsters...I've tried adjusting the height, back angle, lumbar support, etc but it still is uncomfortable on longer drives...

• Like 1

Me, I'm fine but the wife has problems. Sciatica for years and had a tumor removed from her spine back in the 80's and another back surgery years later. She has something called Spideritis. Not the real name but it's the way I remember it. Takes a ton of Gabapentin every day and I just have to watch and hear the suffering.

I can understand all you guys and am thankful I don't have any of this but still have to live with it through my wife.

My heart goes out to you guys with all of your pain and suffering. I feel kinda ashamed complaining about my problem compared to what others are going through. Tuesday, I have an appointment with a neurologist. My doctor wants to make sure that this sciatica is not a symptom of spine problems.

Good luck to all of you.

Old geezer Mike

23 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I've had Sciatica in addition to other pains ( note that I'm NOT performing a compare-&-contrast here ) for many years:

- Herniated discs in cervical (neck)
- Herniated discs in lumbar (lower-back)
- Contusions on my sternum and ribs (long since healed, but drastic temperature and humidity changes remind me of their once-great territory)
- Sciatica from the aforementioned lumbar damage

As @Ace-Garageguymentioned, P.T. and stretching help monumentally. I also perform light weight-lifting (think: one of those machines with a pull-bar, sliding weights, leg lifts, etc.) on the rig in the clubhouse of the apartments where I live. I would imagine that water therapy would work well, too. Even some 'walking' in the shallow-end of a warm pool may work (I've not tested this).

"What a drag it is getting old..." 

Using The swimming pool is the best PT for me. I used it after rotator surgery. Later today I may go to the pool. It's kinda hard to explain. When I am in the pool my whole body feels great. For me this is a lot better than PT exercises and weightlifting.

Try the pool!!! 

Mike

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Using The swimming pool is the best PT for me. I used it after rotator surgery. Later today I may go to the pool. It's kinda hard to explain. When I am in the pool my whole body feels great. For me this is a lot better than PT exercises and weightlifting.

Try the pool!!! 

Mike

Water exercises (Aquatics, et al.) are great due to the lack-of-impact -- a free-floating medium.

And you're right: I need to get my butt into the pool; take me own advice.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, 1972coronet said:

That Barretts Esophagus deal is no fun (the chronic regurgitation of stomach acid -hydrochloric acid- converts the esophagus to stomach lining!). I was tested for that some 20 years ago, as I had awful acid reflux after eating just about anything. Thankfully the diagnosis was negative; I've been on Prilosec (its generic versions) ever since.

How's your recovery coming along, @OldTrucker?   

Except for the polyps they removed from mt stomach it has been unchanged since diagnosed 4 years ago.

on Omeprazole and Mylanta as needed. Have to watch what I eat and no more soda or alcohol.