Model Cars Magazine Forum

Candy Brandywine...

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Would that color have been Chartreus. I guarantee that was spelled wrong.

If you're thinking of the color that used to be seen on some Fire Trucks, no it was just kind of a strange shade of green. More in the range of an Avocado green with a little metallic in it. May just be me since I'm not a fan of green cars anyway. Now the hate mail will begin from those that like green cars. 

I like dark greens (like Bullitt edition Mustangs or old British racing green), silver greens (like the '60s Mercury Lime Frost my Dad's '67 Cougar was), the silver green that was available on the 2005 Mustang, and the metallic olive greens like F8 green on the late model Chargers, Challengers, Durangos and Nori Green Pearl that Lexus has. 

I don't like Kermit the Frog green or neon greens.

As far as current paint trends, I really can't get into the battleship gray shades that are becoming widespread..not as boring as white or silver, but pretty boring IMO..

3 hours ago, espo said:

If you're thinking of the color that used to be seen on some Fire Trucks, no it was just kind of a strange shade of green. More in the range of an Avocado green with a little metallic in it. May just be me since I'm not a fan of green cars anyway. Now the hate mail will begin from those that like green cars. 

I like a lot of different greens.

Leaning more towards the aqua shades, or dark or light greens.

But I agree,  it seems that green can have many more ugly shades than most other colors.

Some cars just seem to look "right" in certain shades of green, but nothing looks right in the "Kermit" green that we're discussing in my opinion.

Steve

I know the original OP is looking for an enamel Brandywine, but I seem to think some of the acrylic craft paints have one they label as Brandywine.  I thought I had one, but the ones I have are different wine shades. These craft acrylic paints are fairly easy to use, thinned with window cleaner (normally Windex w/o ammonia) and sprayed in light coats to slowly build up the color.  This racer was shot using craft colors. I first sprayed a purple band around the car, then put a piece of thin tape around it to define the separation color band I wanted. I taped off the rest of the car shot the white, when it had dried for a few days, I taped it again and shot the yellow. The original purple band was about 1/2 inch wide, you will notice the white and yellow covered it very well.

Modified Coupe 1010.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick

On 7/18/2022 at 10:27 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Let’s not forget the Brandywine Orange color on today’s modern cars and truck. When we were in the market for a Subaru Crosstek, I wanted the cool Brandywine Yellow they had. Told the missus, I’d call it the Vomit Comet. LOL! They didn’t want to come down on the prices, so we ended up with a 2021 Honda CR-V.

She didn’t like the color on the Crosstek anyway.....

Thomas, I think what you mean is "candy orange" and "candy yellow"

"Candy" just means it's a transparent paint and the "brandywine" is the actual color

👍😉

On 7/20/2022 at 12:48 PM, Rob Hall said:

As far as current paint trends, I really can't get into the battleship gray shades that are becoming widespread..not as boring as white or silver, but pretty boring IMO..

Oh God... I hate those Battleship Grey colors on cars. At least do a nice two-tone metallic grey like they did on the 1960s Chevy Impalas. Or even a Black and Grey scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

The paint on that Lincoln is something else! Looks real pretty........ :wub:

Seems like someone on here got a similar result by spraying Tamiya candy red lacquer over Tamiya gunmetal lacquer.  

14 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Here's true, real House of Color "Candy Brandywine" over silver,,

and over a darker metallic grey, kind of a metallic charcoal..

Those are both beautiful works! My initial comment about it, was only that it seemed ubiquitous, in the mid-'80s. I always thought it was pretty!

18 hours ago, Monty said:

Seems like someone on here got a similar result by spraying Tamiya candy red lacquer over Tamiya gunmetal lacquer.  

Here are two painted with Tamiya TS-74 clear red. 

The '60 Olds is over TS-42 light gunmetal and the GTO is over TS-38 gunmetal.

zzzz60.JPG

zzzz64.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Now the "fad" color seems to be that nauseating bright green that you see on EVERYTHING these days.

It looked good on a '70 'cuda, but seriously guys.......

Please, take me back to the Brandywine days!!! 🤮

Steve

I suppose there's always 'too much of a good thing" but I really like that green. Especially back in '17 when the Vipers came in Snake Skin Green. Very slick and eye catching, which is, of course the idea.

Photo of the Week: Snakeskin Green Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe - DodgeForum.com