Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just picked up last night

JerseeJerry55

Just picked up last night at Hobby Lobby. Going to paint her Testors Revving Red with a Diamond Dust undercoat. Have never built this kit in the past. Hopefully I can pull it off. Plan is a non Mach1 car. Could use tips from those who have built it.

BC5A2E69-7BA0-41CC-BDA5-5997D0329AFD.jpeg

Edited by JerseeJerry55
  • Like 1

It's been decades since I've built one, but if memory serves, I can tell you this kit will definitely challenge your inner rivet counter.  I'll let Vamach give you a more comprehensive list of things that need to be addressed, but I'd start hunting for a better engine as this, IIRC, comes with an FE engine (not available in '71-'73 Mustangs).  Seems like some of these also came with a poorly done 302.  If you're going the Windsor route, there are better versions out there.  To the best of my knowledge there are no 1/25 351Cs (Monogram's is 1/24).  

I bought one and I'm currently doing a "renovation" on any of the niggling parts that need improvement.

To my eye the body looks good. I just HAD to tinker with the headlight areas and replace the rear taillight/bumper from an AMT Mustang, which looks so much better.

I've also replaced the chassis and underhood area from a 73 Cougar. I bought quite a few back when they were cheap just for these Mustangs. I also found out the 429 engine in the Cougar is the exact same tool as the block in the Mustang kit that's used for the Boss 429 engine! It even has all the same stamped OE part numbers and engraving as the Mustang. Only difference is the automatic on the Cougar and the manual on the 'Stang as well as different intake parts. So for all the complaints, there is actually a correct 429CJ in the 71 if you put all the right parts together!

I'm doing some upholstery work on some Revell 69 Mach1 buckets to replicate the pattern on the 71 Mach1. I think the seats in the Revell kit look better as a whole than the stumpy ones in the AMT/MPC kit.

The 71 has some real possibilities, if you care to take a little time to correct the flaws.

I'm having fun fixing it, mostly because it finally has the correct decals and good looking wheels and tires!

I can post some pics if you'd like.

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I bought one and I'm currently doing a "renovation" on any of the niggling parts that need improvement.

To my eye the body looks good. I just HAD to tinker with the headlight areas and replace the rear taillight/bumper from an AMT Mustang, which looks so much better.

I've also replaced the chassis and underhood area from a 73 Cougar. I bought quite a few back when they were cheap just for these Mustangs. I also found out the 429 engine in the Cougar is the exact same tool as the block in the Mustang kit that's used for the Boss 429 engine! It even has all the same stamped OE part numbers and engraving as the Mustang. Only difference is the automatic on the Cougar and the manual on the 'Stang as well as different intake parts. So for all the complaints, there is actually a correct 429CJ in the 71 if you put all the right parts together!

I'm doing some upholstery work on some Revell 69 Mach1 buckets to replicate the pattern on the 71 Mach1. I think the seats in the Revell kit look better as a whole than the stumpy ones in the AMT/MPC kit.

The 71 has some real possibilities, if you care to take a little time to correct the flaws.

I'm having fun fixing it, mostly because it finally has the correct decals and good looking wheels and tires!

I can post some pics if you'd like.

Thank you for the reply. One question. HPI guys did a Youtube video on this kit and the moderator said he used gel Superglue to fill in the taillight panel gaps. Any suggestions on a gel superglue?

1 hour ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Thank you for the reply. One question. HPI guys did a Youtube video on this kit and the moderator said he used gel Superglue to fill in the taillight panel gaps. Any suggestions on a gel superglue?

I don't use gel super glue, I don't like how long it takes to dry.

I do use regular Krazy Glue for most of my builds. It sets fast, holds strong and doesn't shrink over time. It also sands well, so I use it as a small filler. 

That being said, I used little pieces of plastic to fill the gaps and then sanded to shape. 

2 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I don't use gel super glue, I don't like how long it takes to dry.

I do use regular Krazy Glue for most of my builds. It sets fast, holds strong and doesn't shrink over time. It also sands well, so I use it as a small filler. 

That being said, I used little pieces of plastic to fill the gaps and then sanded to shape. 

Thank you