Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peter Lombardo

My take on a slightly modernized Imposter Delahaye coupe from the 1930’s.

Sculpted from a block of sign foam and vacuum-formed.

Hood and doors opened.

Dash, Seats, Basic Chassis, and Front-wheel drive from a Cord.

Photo-etched grille

Wheels are Pegasus 23’s with Gold Highlights

Paint is a base layer of Tamiya Gloss Black topped with Tamiya Smoke mixed with a heavy dose of Gold and a bit of Green Jacquard micro pearl pigment.  Final Top Coat of Tamiya Gloss Clear with House of Kolor Gold Metal flake.   Waxed and buffed.  P.s., the paint looks much better in person than in the photosAM-JKLVaYK0wEgZbhllL0Qo-tZbr1CpT6HLd7s2PAM-JKLXXrRbxf0OOENhRwJ2aKLktX7u2R7GB1MSMAM-JKLWIu5xAA-05sFxPK2PoY9mI_Qsi8rKWORJO

AM-JKLUPC7qufEAIV2YxKlT7PreiFsJ3r8CoIWobAM-JKLVWocW5Cbzg-sS8IakU_9uax-S7WWM336vkAM-JKLWKFjvKdl6AnqxKqf-uQgqlE1O8Sdbr8QQbAM-JKLU0KC9Pwl55JUFLkmAcF4IgB1aC0ZR2CWzzAM-JKLVIMMbGM98mQPbi3cv2eNekIBs-QU03KiF0AM-JKLXwsI_rbPQ7EsYGj6vJo0aVlvQjj06gLQ89AM-JKLVMlwLJqh4fEayypMopcNBnEtGfIFodv0aXAM-JKLWeYttqbjwCdCbEph-Qb43oumEO6Uv65OBMand yes, the rear wheels are a little forward of the axle, oh well, oops.AM-JKLXcVzgqKXLoNEhW4PbcGjS2rrmAoGsFZa6BAM-JKLVMjja8DFXqgF-70QnlfZal2LjMDPmgIyKW

• Like 6

Now that’s something you don’t see very often! I think you did a great job on essentially dreaming up and materializing a whole new car of your own. 
it’s a great model and beautifully executed to boot. 

Guys, thanks so much for the kid words.  This my favorite kind of building, making something of my own.  This is a theoretical copy of an existing vehicle, but the two I am working on now are totally my own perception of period vehicles that simulate  and slightly pervert styles that went before. Thanks again.

Peter, amazing work as usual my friend. I’ve seen your models in person in Toledo and they always were some of my favorite builds on the table.  
I was just wondering if you use thicker material when you vacu-form the bodies. The reason I ask is because I have seen vacuum formed windows from R&R etc.  and it seems like a body made of material that thin would be almost impossible to open panels on and maintain any structural integrity.  Your door for example looks like it has a thicker “wall” than other vacuum formed parts I have seen.  Happy building and I always look forward to your Art Deco creations.  -Mark

Edited by ybsluos
Typo

7 hours ago, ybsluos said:

Peter, amazing work as usual my friend. I’ve seen your models in person in Toledo and they always were some of my favorite builds on the table.  
I was just wondering if you use thicker material when you vacu-form the bodies. The reason I ask is because I have seen vacuum formed windows from R&R etc.  and it seems like a body made of material that thin would be almost impossible to open panels on and maintain any structural integrity.  Your door for example looks like it has a thicker “wall” than other vacuum formed parts I have seen.  Happy building and I always look forward to your Art Deco creations.  -Mark

Thanks.  I use one thickness of styrene for the build.  If I remember correctly, it is .030.  We get it in 4 by 8 feet sheets and then cut it into one foot squares to fit the vacuum jig.  I build internal structural walls to add strength tp the build, plus the compound curves of the body add to the overall structure support.  Here is another vacuum formed body I am working on.  Here you can see the internal structure panels that tighten the body to keep it from flexing too much.AM-JKLXWD0YSJqBrXTSYYm20dfLnfH9EXWUxWQNFAM-JKLXbE010ClegsbcX2fDM1LtY_Ro6kRakzeeVAM-JKLUFCV6rkImA7S7Mk-IsxkV8_ZG6xvvhp0J_

• 2 months later...