Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bugatti Type 35B. New kit.

To my eye the MFH kit tires look bulky for the 35's and detract from the overall look.  From what I've seen of the Italeri  1/12 Alfa and Jason's Fiat kits they get the ratios spot on.  Cant wait for the release and the press photos.

Edited by Big John
Spelling

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Jason, do you work for the magazine or some other publisher?      The mention of a 'test shot' suggests that you get early samples to review?

I wish. I'd love to get an early sample of this kit but I'll wind up buying it just like everyone else. I was just referring to seeing some parts trees and a build up so I can start planning the build in my head. I'm leaning toward a replica of the Louis Chiron factory team 35b that resides in the Revs Institute here in Naples. This car was the 2nd place finisher in the 1930 Targa Florio, and was discovered disassembled but complete in 2006 in Pau. Rather than doing a cosmetic restoration it's been left in partially-stripped bare aluminum as it was discovered.

spacer.png

Edited by jaymcminn

5 hours ago, Big John said:

The old Monogram kits come up on thE bay often. prices vary.  Wheels are really type 51.

From what I can tell, it was a fairly common upgrade by Type 35 owners.  The radiator on the Monogram Bug, is also wider, and more like a Type 51.  The Monogram kit looks lit it's a faithful replica of what is basically a "day two" Bugatti.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

The Type 35  had both narrow and wider radiator shells fitted during its production life depending on the spec.

The Type 51 was basically the same car as the 35B with the wider radiator shell but had a twin cam engine fitted.

Monogram's 1/24th scale kit of the wide radiator car is quite accurate and builds up into a nice little model. The plated parts however are overdone with the vacuum chrome and need stripping and refinishing with modern metal finish products for more realism.

Airfix made a nice little 1/32nd kit back in the 70's. It was a bit intriguing in that the manufacturer moulded a detailed firewall in the engine bay but stopped short of placing an engine in the kit. Weird! It is as though they were going to do it but changed their mind, so unless a scratch built engine can be made and fitted it has to be built kerbside.

Jason, thanks for the feedback. The Naples Florida car looks like it will be a very interesting build for you to finish as much of it is stripped back to bare metal. I have been using a UK product that you may be interested in, C1 Polishing Powder. I did my scratch built Napier Railton with it. To get some idea of how it turns out have a look a the thread Lets See Some Scratch Built Things. There are a couple of pics in  there.   By the way, C1 do have a website to check out.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Monogram's 1/24th scale kit of the wide radiator car is quite accurate and builds up into a nice little model. The plated parts however are overdone with the vacuum chrome and need stripping and refinishing with modern metal finish products for more realism.

One version of the Monogram Bugatti kit to keep an eye out for is the European release of about 20 years ago. It came with TWO chrome trees: one was vacuum-plated, and the other one was in silver styrene. 

Have the Airfix Bug as well. Their late '60s to mid '70s car kits had some great detail for 1:32 scale kits. 

Edited by 64Comet404
Spelling error
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 5:37 PM, Big John said:

The old Monogram kits come up on thE bay often. prices vary.  Wheels are really type 51.

Sorry, I don’t know my Bugattis all that well. It’s seems all I know of prewar Bugattis are the 51 and Royal. I wish I did know more. 

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Sorry, I don’t know my Bugattis all that well. It’s seems all I know of prewar Bugattis are the 51 and Royal. I wish I did know more. 

That's OK, some of us have been fanatics for a long long time.  An appreciation of the make is all that 's necessary.  Us old guys would say something like... I am surprised that the Targa Florio car shown has the larger breaks than the early 35s!

Edited by Big John

Thank you for the lead on Renaissance models, a vendor I had not heard of. It appears that the have wheels for the 35 and 51 but included in the 51 wheels are the detachable rims as on the 35 wheels.  these would be a good source for wheels to re=work the Bburago type 55 to something more acceptable.  After checking my Conway "Grand Prix Bugatti"  and Haynes owners' manual it appears the the 35 did have larger breaks in late versions.  I expect that, even as today's teams, upgrades were pretty much on going.

Viva Le Mark