Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint question? help?


Recommended Posts

Does any body know what white would match this dover white? I really don't wanna pay almost $20 for a bottle from scalefinishes just for 1 color.

cadillac19598160.jpg.c984be406c012bbdf247e0d08f46fdb1.jpg.e0c43cb43a280d6289198b24c8e431dc.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Is it a solid colour or pearl, metallic ??

Solid.  It's for the Aoshima toyota GT 2000 

37 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Looks close to Tamiya Pure White to me. This is what it looks like.

20220207_134008-1.jpg.60dca900390a75e4bdcbb7af3cae1ea4.jpg

This is Tamiya Pearl White. 

20210328_174936-1.jpg.73f74c98dec6133c6526aa8fca6e2156.jpg

Yeah that pure white looks pretty close

37 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

3CF0D521-249C-41F8-B555-DF7158A5F3F7.thumb.jpeg.08569d0002783a6d1ed8d20e7d14947b.jpegDover White is a solid white and is available in Duplicolor’s touch up line.

#BGM0138 “Dover White”.

Identical to GM “Arctic White”.

 

 

 

 

 

Steve

Yes but those cans are like $18 near me and no store has them.  Nevermind doubled checked o reilly's for $15 Artic white which would be perfect.  

21 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Not factory correct. But I recommend this, thin with MLT 1:1.5 and if applied correctly it will not need a clear coat.

7y191jw.jpg

eEVEDTC.jpg

I actually have this but i don't care for the gloss as i use 2K.  I think i have tamiya's pure white as well in LP line up. 

Edited by Dpate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the help everybody.  I'll get something figured out lol.  

EDIT: So i found a can of perfect match at o reilly, but it's got nothing but negative reviews lol.  Is it best to decant it? Never used duplicolor before.

Edited by Dpate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

I've used DC a few times. I always shoot it straight out of the can. But, if you prefer to use an airbrush, I would go that route.

Sweet thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason, DupliColor's solid colors want to gather on the spray tip, kinda build-up on the nozzle (does that make sense?). The pearls do it less, and the metallics barely have any build-up on the tip....... I love using DC perfect match paints, but I might would use something else if it has to be a solid color......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

For some reason, DupliColor's solid colors want to gather on the spray tip, kinda build-up on the nozzle (does that make sense?). The pearls do it less, and the metallics barely have any build-up on the tip....... I love using DC perfect match paints, but I might would use something else if it has to be a solid color......

Could always decant it. But yeah that was one of the negative reviews about it with the paint build up lol.  Prob crappy nozzle.  $15 for 8oz is a lot cheaper than $20 for 2oz. I'm gonna go to o reillys tomorrow and check up on it.

Edited by Dpate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Prob crappy nozzle. 

I can’t agree with that.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Duplicolor touch up cans have one of the best nozzles on the market.

The “fan spray” nozzles are a dream compared to most of the hobby spray cans.

As far as build up on the tip, I don’t recall ever seeing that myself.

I suppose that as with any can of paint, there is the possibility of getting a bad can on occasion, but I’ve not experienced that particular phenomenon myself.

 

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks every body for the help on the white color, but i think I'm gonna go with belletreux yellow which i wont have a choice but to order from scalefinishes. Not only is it one of the rarest colors for the car, but i like it much better than the basic white. Just beautiful!

toyota-2000gt-001.jpg.a35ef3ebb6aeacdf1fd3f1d727acc8d4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dpate said:

Solid.  It's for the Aoshima toyota GT 2000 


Dude I’m lost.

 

You want to paint a 1967 Toyota with a 1959 Cadillac factory colour? You already own all of the suggested whites but would prefer to buy a rattle can with bad reviews and decant it.
 

In the end the Yellow is a much better choice for the Toyota but your back at square one after saying would don’t want to $20 for Scalefinishes paints. 
 

im just thinking out a loud here. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you plan to go white I would not recommend pure white or arctic white.

Back in the lacquer days GM never did this because the reflow oven would not handle a pure white. These types of white colors only started in the early eighties as the GM plants were gradually converting to BC/CC technology.

GM's cleanest white of the era would be off-white or ivory by today's standards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

If you plan to go white I would not recommend pure white or arctic white.

Back in the lacquer days GM never did this because the reflow oven would not handle a pure white. These types of white colors only started in the early eighties as the GM plants were gradually converting to BC/CC technology.

GM's cleanest white of the era would be off-white or ivory by today's standards.

Edit: Good info !

Moot point now that he's going yellow I suppose but just wanted to add.  Going by the charts for the 59 Cadillac, white  was offered in Dover White or Olympic White, the only two whites listed. Also the same Dover was listed for Chrysler that year. Here is the link: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?model=Cadillac&year=1959&con=yo  . No contention here just added info for anyone interested..

I know Pete put up a chart as well.

Edited by Dave G.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

If you plan to go white I would not recommend pure white or arctic white.

Back in the lacquer days GM never did this because the reflow oven would not handle a pure white. These types of white colors only started in the early eighties as the GM plants were gradually converting to BC/CC technology.

GM's cleanest white of the era would be off-white or ivory by today's standards.


@David G.


Appreciated guys but re-read @Dpate posts.
 

He is painting A Toyota and has now chosen Yellow. 

Edited by Sandboarder
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Edit: Good info !

Moot point now that he's going yellow I suppose but just wanted to add.  Going by the charts for the 59 Cadillac, white  was offered in Dover White or Olympic White, the only two whites listed. Also the same Dover was listed for Chrysler that year. Here is the link: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?model=Cadillac&year=1959&con=yo  . No contention here just added info for anyone interested..

I know Pete put up a chart as well.

Yes that’s where I got my info from.  The white actually for the Toyota is called Pegasus white, but doubt anything like that exist now.  So closest to that was dover white so that Cadillac was just an example of the color. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sandboarder said:


Dude I’m lost.

 

You want to paint a 1967 Toyota with a 1959 Cadillac factory colour? You already own all of the suggested whites but would prefer to buy a rattle can with bad reviews and decant it.
 

In the end the Yellow is a much better choice for the Toyota but your back at square one after saying would don’t want to $20 for Scalefinishes paints. 
 

im just thinking out a loud here. 

Yes you’re right.  But yeah I’m back at square one, because can’t find that yellow anywhere but scalefinises.  I’m just gonna have to suck it up and drop $20 on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dpate said:

Yes you’re right.  But yeah I’m back at square one, because can’t find that yellow anywhere but scalefinises.  I’m just gonna have to suck it up and drop $20 on it. 


Looks like Zero Paints also do the yellow. 
 

https://www.hiroboy.com/Toyota_2000GT_Bendix_Yellow_Paint_60ml--product--13125.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Thanks for this.  I've heard of zero paints, but never used them.  Gonna give them a go.  Would of been cheaper to do scalefinises, but they had some extra stuff i wanted so went on ahead and got it from them.  Instead of spending $20 i spent $50 💀

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dpate said:

Thanks for this.  I've heard of zero paints, but never used them.  Gonna give them a go.  Would of been cheaper to do scalefinises, but they had some extra stuff i wanted so went on ahead and got it from them.  Instead of spending $20 i spent $50 💀

I do stuff like that too often lol ! And meanwhile Napa could probably mixed up a touch up bottle for about $10. I just cut the Napa paints with cheap lacquer thinner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...