Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for model car related places to visit on Upper Midwest trip around lake Michigan.

I am taking a family vacation this summer through parts of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, The UP of Michigan and Wisconsin (see map below). I am looking for model car / slot car related places to stop along the way.

This would include good antique shops that may have models or slot cars.

Thanks.

Craig

Trip.jpg

Edited by Carmak
Better define title

• Carmak changed the title to Looking for model car related places to visit on Upper Midwest trip around lake Michigan.

If you're nearby on a weekend, there's some decent 1:1 car and bike shows most weeks here in Valparaiso (just north of the bottom of the lake there).

I like Hawker Hobbies in Schereville, IN for the scale stuff that you actually asked about - good selection of car kits and a HUGE range of paint, and it's right next door to a cool little diner with a model railroad running all round the building.  Worth stopping for a burger and to buy a engineer's hat or souvenir whistle...

Try adjusting your journey to include Milwaukee area, Model Empire in West Allis is amazing, then Hartford has John's Hobbies and Mayville has The Tinker Shoppe (not a lot of models but some) Plus Fond Du Lac has Focus right downtown on main street. Not open on Monday. There are antique shops in Waukesha that have models. Antiques And Uniques on 250 W. Main and Metropolitan Antiques 259 W. Main. Cal's Collectibles and  Mantiques. He has vintage models and old slot cars. There is a slot track in Milwaukee called Bob's Raceway on 5822 W Forest Home Ave which is not far from Model Empire. stop by me in Theresa and I will show you my stash. Who knows, you might go home with some.

Edited by lordairgtar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Try adjusting your journey to include Milwaukee area, Model Empire in West Allis is amazing, then Hartford has John's Hobbies and Mayville has The Tinker Shoppe (not a lot of models but some) Plus Fond Du Lac has Focus right downtown on main street. Not open on Monday. There are antique shops in Waukesha that have models. Antiques And Uniques on 250 W. Main and Metropolitan Antiques 259 W. Main. Cal's Collectibles and  Mantiques. He has vintage models and old slot cars. There is a slot track in Milwaukee called Bob's Raceway on 5822 W Forest Home Ave which is not far from Model Empire. stop by me in Theresa and I will show you my stash. Who knows, you might go home with some.

I tried hard to include Milwaukee and/or Madison but I lost :( . I do occasionally do business in the Milwaukee area so I will keep your list. Thanks!!

I second Model Cave in Ypsilanti Michigan, located right on your proposed route.

Looks like it’s already marked as a stop, but a great destination you could easily spend a day or more visiting, The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.  

Honestly, there are so many automotive-related stops you could make in Michigan, let us know a little bit more of your specific interests, and there’s probably something for you on your route. 

As a family trip visiting “The Soo” might I suggest adding Whitefish Point and Tahquamenon Falls. They’re not too far off your path, and definitely worth the time to visit while in the eastern UP. The list goes on and on, but I’ll leave it there for now.

It’ll be a fantastic trip.

• Like 1

From your map it looks like you will be taking I-80/94 through Northwest Indiana.  I highly recommend visiting G&G Hobbies in downtown Griffith.  It's less than 10 minutes off 80/94.

It's a classic old-school hobby shop with a great kit selection (almost the entire east wall is kits, and mostly automotive), been in business for decades.

Downtown Griffith has quite a variety of shops and is pretty happening, so the rest of your family could easily find something to occupy their time while you hit G&G. They also have a couple micro-breweries and several great independent restaurants if you're getting off the highway to eat.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Carmak said:

I tried hard to include Milwaukee and/or Madison but I lost :( . I do occasionally do business in the Milwaukee area so I will keep your list. Thanks!!

That's cool. You won't be far from me in Theresa. I see you will be close to Fond Du lac and I'm 17 miles south of FDL. Also Hartford has a great car museum. Lots of Kissel cars as they built them there. Pro tip when travelling...never eat at chain restaurants, eat local.

Edited by lordairgtar

Do the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Mi and the Stahl's automotive  museum in Chesterfield, Mi. Also Empire, Mi has great sand dunes on the left side of the state if you have extra time! the museums are on your route! also the last Hudson Dealership museum in Ypsilanti, mi! Do model cave and then the Hudson dealership. The wife can antique shop when you go in there!

• Like 1

If you do Stahl's auto museum, then do Great Lakes hobby and train in Utica , Mi. The 3rd Friday of the month , is the Downriver Model Cars meeting from 6  to 8 Pm in Dearborn, Mi ,If you are in the Detroit area at that time . Lots of kits and parts for sale at the meeting! Call Paul ( this is not me)the slot car guy when you are in Detroit 248 760 6960. He always has stuff  to buy or sell!  If  you are near Canton , Mi ,stop in the bar called  Club Canton and see the owner Emmett. He is into slot cars  too!

Edited by paul alflen

It's not models, but the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN is a must see. It will knock your eyes out and amaze anyone who likes cars even a little. Located in the original ACD corporate headquarters and palatial showroom.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:44 AM, paul alflen said:

Do the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Mi and the Stahl's automotive  museum in Chesterfield, Mi. Also Empire, Mi has great sand dunes on the left side of the state if you have extra time! the museums are on your route! also the last Hudson Dealership museum in Ypsilanti, mi! Do model cave and then the Hudson dealership. The wife can antique shop when you go in there!

I will try to his the model cave and the Hudson Museum. My wife is very much into 1:1 cars but not as much into scale cars. She is already all in for the Hudson Museum.