Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paints:sets...types...advice, etc

Ok i've just recently picked up modeling again...well I was never really into it heavily, but that changed when I found out about Tamiya,Aoshima and Fujimi. Anyways....back in the day I had one of those orange rotatable paint stands from Testors...that came with all the tiny bottles of paint. I haven't seen them in stores either. I've recently picked up a few Tamiya/Fujimi kits and wanted some advice on paint. I'm asking for advice specifically on all the parts besides the body and chassis(if you have good advice throw it my way anyway). Is there a current/modern equivalent of that orange spinny paint rack? If I can find one, is it worth picking up? Should I just but the tiny bottles of the colours required for each kit, and just build up my supply that way?Is there one specific brand of paint that stands above the rest? Should I use enamel or acyrlic...or laqeur? What are the pros and cons of each? Should I just use brushes, or is it worth my while even as a beginner to invest in an air brush, or is thta only necessary for bodys and other large parts...once I get more experience. I don't really know where to start paint wise...and I figured this is the best place to ask...some of the painting i've seen in pictures is amazing...and intimidating. I realise this is a big question as well...so if you want to link me to a website no problem. This board is awesome, thanks alot for any help.

I myself like laquers. I prefer Tamiya, Dupli Color and House of Kolor. Enamels are to sensitive for me to work with. All three above come in spray cans if that is what you are most comfortable with. HoK comes in spray cans and bottles for air brushing.

Remember these are my preferences. You should recieve alot of other preferences on this matter. I have found Tmiya is the most versatile of the three. But again that is my experience.

I have used Testors enamels, Hok Sprays, Tamiya, and Model Master. I use Model Master Laquer Spray paints and tamiya brush paints, mainlty because HoK isnt in production any more. However I really like the laquer because it dries a lot faster. And smells better than the enamel spray paints.

For glue I use Locktite super glue.

Not much of a body modification guy but I am sure that others will chime in for that.

Hope this helps!!!

P.S. Check out the Board rules and guide lines.

Edited by Clay

There is no "right" answer when it comes to paint to use. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I will list a few of them

1. Enamel. This is the paint that comes in those little Testors bottles. It has components which enable a gloss shine with little polishing necessary. It lays down nicely with little skill needed to use. Its disadvantages stem from the oil based solvents used. Their low flash point means they take a long time to dry. In high humidity areas it can take weeks to cure.

2. Lacquer. Comes in various forms from acrylic to natural and synthetic bases. It is more forgiving than enamel in at least one way; It can be readily sanded and polished. It is usually fast drying due to the chemicals used as solvents.

3. Acrylic. Generally when we talk about acrylic, we are talking about water based paints, although all the major types of paint come in acrylic forms. This is the wave of the future. It will be all we can buy before too long. Like lacquer, it usually requires final sanding and polishing.

4. Two part urethanes. Here is where the controversy lies. What it is is a resin based paint that requires a catalyst be added to cure. The problem is the isocyanates that are produced by the curing process. They are very dangerous. If you are going to use this type of paint, it's imperative that you use personal protection from the fumes. Their advantage is the mirror like finish they give.

5. Hybrid enamel/lacquer. The once readily available Kustom Kolor paint (mfd by valspar) was excellent, with characteristics of both types of paint. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued. I have bought all of it I could find, so I plan on using it for the foreseeable future.

By all means get an airbrush. A simple cheap single action will suffice at first, but if you can afford it, get a high end Iwata or Paasche dual action. You'll never regret it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Helipilot16

This question will undoubtedly get a gazillion different answers, as everyone has their own favorite paint type and/or brand.

I'll make it very simple for you: There is no need to mess with 2-part paints or any of that esoteric stuff. Modeling is supposed to be fun, not a chore! Here is a simple rule to live by:

Enamels: BAD! Take too long to dry, both sprays and brush paint. No reason to even mess with them. They are yesterday's technology.

For brush painting small parts and detail painting: Acrylics. Water-based, non-toxic, available in tons of colors. Simple brush clean-up with nothing fancier than plain old H2O.

For spraying: Either lacquers or acrylics. Both go on nice and smooth, both dry fast, they are not prone to runs and sags like enamels are, both can be either clear coated or polished out beautifully. I personally prefer DupliColor automotive touch-up sprays, available at any auto parts store.

One simple rule to remember: Don't use enamels! Believe me, your life will be much simpler and happier if you stick to acrylics and lacquers. <_<

Paint that is above the rest.That simply put with three letters.H.O.K House Of Color.These paints are great.I personally use enamels and acrilics.As for the other things bro just look around a bit you will learn fast and there are many here to learn from.Welcome back and welcome to the board <_< .

Saturnine ,

Like Harry P stated there are a lot of opinions on paint out there . That being stated , it was also the last thing that he said which made sense ! I used laquers for over 30 years when I was modeling with the HO trains . For that purpose , they cannot be beat ! However , In my experience , Testors enamels cannot be beat when it comes to richness , depth of color , ease of use , and overall glass like finish .

Now , lets get into cost .... I can paint a model car body with one ounce ( 2 bottles ) of Testors enamel fo $ 6.58 . Fairly cheap for today 's prices by a long shot ! Add two bottles of Testors clear , another $ 6.58 . Total for a pristine paint job , $ 13.18 .

As for drying time , I can be putzing with a freshly painted body in 3 days time . Old guy trick , dump 2 jars of of Testors enamel into a 2 ounce paint jar , add 1 ounce of cheap garden variety laquer thinner found at your local hardware store . Shake well and shoot ! It drys fast , tight , and smooth ! I guess some individuals were too busy watching Moses walk by to pay attention to this old trick ! :lol:

Paint can be found at your local hobby shop in a rainbow of colors . I use a Paache H series airbrush , cost about $60.00. Come visit me at my website ... www.oldmansmodels.com . I know I can help you out and back up what I have to say at the same time . Like Grandpap used to say " Visibility lends to credibility "

My approach to the hobby is through bluecollar eyes . Proper paint environment , proper tools and products , proper kit and body prep , proper airbrush technique and application ,The 4 P's , are the corner stones for setting a firm foundation when it comes to airbrushing !

The Old Man

Lone Wolf Custom Painting