Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ned Jarrett Ford

MarkJ

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Buddy, you sure are getting it together! 

Thanks, Mike. The real car showed the rear fender humps in the back corners, but I'm not going to get ridiculous with it. Just a basic tub. I think I might just do printed shoulder harness hardware. In other words, it will be flat. Trying to figure out how not to spend 6 monthst on one build.

Mark, you are definitely moving fast on this one. It's a tough balance between extra detailing and length of time to achieve the model.

Personally I have sort of hit my max on the level of detailing and have been focusing more time on finishing quality. One way of improving detailing without adding more time has been transitioning from scratch building to aftermarket parts. (wheels, seatbelts, engine components etc)

I love this build. Thank you for maintaining your wip's

7 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Mark, you are definitely moving fast on this one. It's a tough balance between extra detailing and length of time to achieve the model.

Personally I have sort of hit my max on the level of detailing and have been focusing more time on finishing quality. One way of improving detailing without adding more time has been transitioning from scratch building to aftermarket parts. (wheels, seatbelts, engine components etc)

I love this build. Thank you for maintaining your wip's

Thanks, Pierre. I agree about finishing quality of the body being more about what I care about doing then the added detail. 

Especially when it comes to the interior which is hard to see when the model is finished anyway. 

Bill, I found that streamer material at hoblob and it does do a good job of looking like a textured aluminum sheet that was used by cars of this period for door and quarter trim panels. It's a pretty chrome color but Ned's office was all white except for a red dash and a blue seat so I will be painting them flat white. Thanks for that tip. It was pretty easy to cut and install as well.

64ned76.jpg

64ned77.jpg

64ned78.jpg

That looks great Mark. To make it look more like aluminum used back then, a semi-gloss clear over the material gets very close.

Curious, what glue did you use to glue the streamer material to your door panel area??

Edited by Bill J

9 hours ago, Bill J said:

That looks great Mark. To make it look more like aluminum used back then, a semi-gloss clear over the material gets very close.

Curious, what glue did you use to glue the streamer material to your door panel area??

Bill, the steamer must be some form of plastic because I used the "Same stuff" liquid glue that is actually a plastic welder type adhesive. I have to wear a respirator when I use it because it gives me a cough and a sore throat if I don't. Like I said Ned's guys must have just painted over the aluminum because his door and quarter panels are white.

31 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

I wish I could find that streamer in Canada. This will look perfect with a bit of flat clear

Pierre, you must have some sort of Hoblob stores up there. A party store might actually sell it. It looks the same on both sides. It's very, very thin. And of course, there's always Amazon. They sell everything. The company name is Brother&Sister.

Edited by MarkJ

I got the tunnel finished so I can move on to the dash. I noticed when I was trying to see what the seat looked like from the one ref picture, I have, which only shows the extreme top part of the seat, it was very telling. The seat had the ribs going vertically down the seat. The seats in the 64 Fords were not like that but the 63-ford bucket seat was. I believe the 64 Ford that Ned drove had a 1963 seat in it and it is gray in the middle and white on the outside edges. Luckily, I had a left-over seat from the 63 Fireball Roberts build I did a few years ago.  If you guys use that streamer stuff dont use the plastic welder type liquid adhesive like I used. It comes loose later on. You could probably use elmers but it might be too thick. I guess I'm going to have to redo mine. Bummer.

64ned80.jpg

64ned81.jpg

64ned82.jpg

64ned83.jpg

9 hours ago, Bill J said:

Mark, back from about 1962 until maybe 1967 the Ford race cars used what is called a Bostrum seat. It is a smaller, simple bucket that they used in vans and police cruisers. Most were a champaigne gold color  upholstery.

mH6N7bN.jpg

Yes, I've seen Bostrom seats, but they don't look like the one you have pictured here in Hutchersons 65 Ford. I believe the seat in Bud Moore's 64 Joe Weatherley Mercury was a Bostrom seat. I've got a picture of it someplace in my files.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Yes, I've seen Bostrom seats, but they don't look like the one you have pictured here in Hutchersons 65 Ford. I believe the seat in Bud Moore's 64 Joe Weatherley Mercury was a Bostrom seat. I've got a picture of it someplace in my files.

i believe this is the Bostrom seat you are talking about, but it still doesn't look like what I'm seeing in that picture of the top of Ned's car I posted.

64ned88.jpg

64ned89.jpg

Here are 2 ref pictures I found while searching for 1964 Ned Jarrett photos. I'm assuming they are his car being prepared. You can clearly see that the seat is not a bostrum and it appears to be white with a darker colored rib pattern on the inner section of the seat. Got a good view of the cage behind the seat as well. I know it's a 64 Ford because of the feature lines on the body. 

64ned90 (2).jpg

64ned91 (2).jpg

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Taking notes my friend, I'll follow your lead when I tackle the same kit (but different driver) in the fall.

Again, I'll just copy your stuff! 😃

You might want to get some ref pictures of the interior of the car you're doing. I don't think yours is a Holman and Moody car either. If it was, there are plenty of pictures of Holman and Moody 64 ford interiors.

Thought I was through with the cage but realized I haven't done the side bars. Thats why it's good to do a wip and study the pictures. Eventually you get an ah ha moment when you say to yourself "you almost forgot the side bars you dummy." I actually used another word, but I don't think it would be acceptable in the forum. It had an a in it and ended with an s. 

64ned94.jpg

64ned95.jpg

64ned96.jpg

64ned97.jpg