Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ned Jarrett Ford

MarkJ

4 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Well that's an easy correction. Coming together quite nicely

Yes, I'm just going to show the bars going into the trim panel right at the vertical bars on the left side. So that's four short bars and the right side is just one bar at the bottom. These cars were very dangerous for side impacts. Lorenzen came close to losing his left arm at the 64 firecracker 400. I have heard that somehow, they made the sheet metal thinner as well to save weight. But that might be one of those fake tails about things that happened back then. Like saying that Smokey's Chevelle was a  7/8 scale car.  I took a side profile picture of Smokeys Chevelle made it 1/25 scale and it fit on the side of the model perfectly.

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

What happened to the streamer door trim?

I like the gauges

Pierre, I painted it white like the real car. The dash also had the aluminum on it, but it was not painted so I will just dull coat it. too bad they didn't leave it raw aluminum on the real car's doors and quarter trim. Thanks, on the guages. The aluminum on Lorenzen's doors and quarters were painted black. I was going to make window crank handles but the windows and regulators and vent assemblys were removed from this car so they had no place to attach them to, so I will leave them off. The early season car still had the windows and regulators and vent assemblies, so the handles were on that car. the picture below is Fred's car.

64fred11 (2).jpg

30 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Interesting, looking at ref pics I posted when doing the hood color tests (page 2, July 27) it looks metallic on some pics and painted white on others. I thing you could go either way.

Thats true. When working on a 58-year-old car with ref pics to match its really impossible to say what it really was and even if I could ask Ned, I don't think he would remember or care if the panels were painted or left bare aluminum. You can barely see them any way when the model is complete. Just trying to get the interior and then the chassis finished so I can get back to the fun part, finishing the body paint and hoping to finally get rid of the brush strokes.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:35 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

I wish I could find that streamer in Canada. This will look perfect with a bit of flat clear

The silver foil lids on peanut butter jars - Just Peanuts is my brand - are a good alternative. Very fine stipple pattern is ideal for this use. Just carefully peel them off to minimize wrinkling - can easily be pressed out - and rinse under warm water to remove any oil residue. 

12 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Wow...this shifter looks like an exact replica. Well done!

Thanks, Pierre. I think it's a little too tall, but I can't get it any closer, I need to add the reverse lock out release handles to the shaft. The only thing left is the fire extinguisher and the steering wheel. Then I can move on to the frame to remove the stock exhaust and add the competition exhaust. Then I can assemble and finally finish the body and hope it looks okay. I bought some new polishing pads.

3 hours ago, jjsipes said:

Looking good Mark. Keep it up.

Thanks, Jason. With the race not starting till 5 this afternoon, I'm getting a lot done on the frame today. Removing the exhaust is pain staking work. I hope it doesn't rain in Darlington for the race. There is nothing worse than watching a rain delayed race.