Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell in Omaha (2022 IPMS Nats)

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Patrick - Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the '73, but I'd love to see the 1972 Sprint as another derivative of the new Boss 351 tool....great idea!    TB 

Well don't fret Tim, Eleanor isn't even a 73. It's a 71 with a 73 grille - and a massive roll cage! Look at the front bumper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Well don't fret Tim, Eleanor isn't even a 73. It's a 71 with a 73 grille - and a massive roll cage! Look at the front bumper. 

Same with the Jill Challengers: both were 1970 models -- one a 440 Magnum R/T; the other a 383 two barrel -- but had 1973 front and rear facies (and licence plates). 

10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Yeah, you're right about that. They fixed where the tires would be backwards on one side but the kit rims still don't fit well. I used the wheels from the Deserter truck and they looked much better.

20180701_190940.thumb.jpg.0a2397b30595f2a9ef319c76494d2696.jpg.32de5041aee71b71b4f454a94bed99f3.jpg

I've seen countless builds with the kit wheels installed wrong. The wheel has to be pushed through the front so that that the sidewall goes over the larger lip on the wheel. Done correctly, they fit quite well. 

I have no experience with the tires from the latest version as I haven't bought it. But, I have seen a build of it with the wheels installed wrong. 

Edited by Plowboy

46 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I have no experience with the tires from the latest version as I haven't bought it. But, I have seen a build of it with the wheels installed wrong. 

The problem I have seen is with the lettering molding on the same side of the tire for all 4 tires. This means you have to choose between correct tread direction with raised letters on 2 tires (or  decals or no letters), or wrong tread direction on 2 but all tires have raised letters.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

I've seen countless builds with the kit wheels installed wrong. The wheel has to be pushed through the front so that that the sidewall goes over the larger lip on the wheel. Done correctly, they fit quite well. 

16 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

The problem I have seen is with the lettering molding on the same side of the tire for all 4 tires. This means you have to choose between correct tread direction with raised letters on 2 tires (or  decals or no letters), or wrong tread direction on 2 but all tires have raised letters.

They reworked the tires a bit when they released the camo truck a few years ago. They removed the lettering but the wheels still don't fit right if you want to mount all four facing the correct direction. The tires are thick on the inside wall and thin on the outside wall that used to have the molded in letters. When you try to push the rim inside the tires on the passenger side with the tire pointing the correct direction the thick inside wall is on the outside and the rim has a flange that makes the rim face sit too deep below the face of the tire. Also, the wheel back doesn't fit will well in the hole that used to be the front side of the tire. Basically, even though they removed the lettering that necessitated mounting the passenger side tires backwards the construction of the tires and wheels themselves still fit best with the passenger side tires backwards. That's why I used the AMT wheels, I could face the tires the correct direction and not worry about the rims not fitting well on one side.

Here's both sides of the new version of the tires with the wheel parts. The tire on the left is has the inside facing up and the tire on the right has the outside facing up.

20220725_003024.jpg.311cd4937b75b169583d8ce61a8f46f5.jpg

Here is the tire with the rim installed correctly. 

20220725_003633.jpg.032116ef44b5ce28c7d252ef994e30ef.jpg

Here's what happens to the passenger side when you try to face the tire treads in the correct direction. The thick inside of the tire won't left the rim sit correctly so you still have to mount the tires backwards to use the kit wheels.

20220725_003246.jpg.93ba816843b827d6c85a26427a537782.jpg

On 7/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Even if it's powered by a Cleveland 4v and not a 429, it's still a good choice!

The engine alone is worth the price of admission, the rest is just bonus.

Agreed, so long as they tool up a set of accurate 'Power By FORD' stamped valve covers. I've been waiting for a decent set of those forever.

5 hours ago, Plowboy said:

All that needs to be done to fix that is cut the flange from the wheel. If the wheelback won't hold to the thin side, glue it to the backside of the wheel. They meet anyway once installed.

Yep, you could also use Evergreen to add a flange to wheel back for that side.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, tim boyd said:

Thanks James for the excellent photos and coverage of the kit reveals....

All....I am pretty sure you can count on a Mach 1 version of the '71 Mustang (with appropriate power under the hood) to be in place for a future version of the kit tool...

TB 

What engine do you want? The Mach I was available with a base 302/2v, 351C/2v or 4v or a 429.

Other than the valve covers, externally the "Boss" 351 is the same as the 351C so with the stamped steel valve covers, this engine would be appropriate. 

Edited by Sledsel

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

What engine do you want? The Mach I was available with a base 302/2v, 351C/2v or 4v or a 429.

Other than the valve covers, externally the "Boss" 351 is the same as the 351C so with the stamped steel valve covers, this engine would be appropriate. 

Andy, not sure if you are directing your question to me, but if you are, a 429 SCJ with the Ram-Air setup would be my first choice.....TB 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Andy, not sure if you are directing your question to me, but if you are, a 429 SCJ with the Ram-Air setup would be my first choice.....TB 

Off course with the Boss 351 engine being a Cleveland a 4V 351 CJ  4 speed version would not require many different engine parts.  I doubt a 351 “H” code two barrel engine with single exhaust would be in the plans despite it being the predominant seller (with an automatic) in the 71-73 Mach1s.  Even though I own said car (a 72 H code Mach1 with FMX auto and ram air) I’m not holding my breath on it being one of the future kit versions.

32 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Have there been any pics of the Blazer parts trees? I'd like to see what we're getting this time around.

While I'm unable to provide any photos, I can say with 93.72% certainty that the other Monogram [et al.] Chevrolet-GMC K-20 [?] pickups share the majority of their parts with the Blazer/Jimmy, excepting, obviously, the body (those tiny door handles!) and at least half of the interior.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Somebody in another thread mentioned something about Revell  issuing a new Porsche 917 kit? I see no mention of it here. Anybody know anything about this? 

As far as I am aware they are reissuing a Fujimi based kit this year not a brand new tool.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:25 AM, dbostream said:

As far as I am aware they are reissuing a Fujimi based kit this year not a brand new tool.

Interesting. I have a Fujimi 917. The question is do I want another one in a Revell box? As nice as Fujimi’s 917 is, I doubt I’ll buy another in Revell box. 

Edited by unclescott58

11 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Interesting. I have a Fujimi 917. The question is do I want another one in a Revell box? As nice as Fujimi’s 917 is, I doubt I’ll buy another in Revell box. 

It would be more affordable than a Fujimi boxed kit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

It would be more affordable than a Fujimi boxed kit. 

At one point maybe, but the Revell kit is selling around $45 in Europe without any shipping, and it probably won't be too much cheaper here when it comes over. Meanwhile with the upside down exchange rate the Fujimi kits (which just had a reissue earlier this year so they're widely available) are priced at less than $20 in Japan.

Edited by niteowl7710

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

At one point maybe, but the Revell kit is selling around $45 in Europe without any shipping, and it probably won't be too much cheaper here when it comes over. Meanwhile with the upside down exchange rate the Fujimi kits (which just had a reissue earlier this year so they're widely available) are priced at less than $20 in Japan.

Eventually it will find its way into a U.S. Revell box and that is when the price becomes more realistic. Kits boxed in the Euro box are always a bit more. And sure, they are currently cheaper in Japan due to the money exchange, but are you going to Japan to get one? How much to ship it to the U.S.? 

If you are in a hurry for one, then shipping them or buying a Fujimi kit here are the options, otherwise, just wait it out. 

14 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Eventually it will find its way into a U.S. Revell box and that is when the price becomes more realistic. Kits boxed in the Euro box are always a bit more. And sure, they are currently cheaper in Japan due to the money exchange, but are you going to Japan to get one? How much to ship it to the U.S.? 

If you are in a hurry for one, then shipping them or buying a Fujimi kit here are the options, otherwise, just wait it out. 

Nope it won't. "New" Revell isn't going to rebox every European release any more than the last one did. We get North American boxings of the significant new tool kit of the year (Land Rover, Jaguar Coupe [but not the Cabrio], Porsche 911s, Panamara, etc), but we don't ever receive reboxes of all of them. There's not going to be a rebox of that Sunny/Academy based Cobra, or the big 1/8 Trans Am. 

The one consistent thing I heard at Nats talking to all the manufacturers (Kinetic, Eduard, Revell, Atlantis, etc) was that they've tried their best to hold the prices on inflation based increasss, but in the back half of this year going into 2023 those costs are going to have to be passed along. The idea of "cheap version" of a kit is something of the past.

32 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Nope it won't. "New" Revell isn't going to rebox every European release any more than the last one did. We get North American boxings of the significant new tool kit of the year (Land Rover, Jaguar Coupe [but not the Cabrio], Porsche 911s, Panamara, etc), but we don't ever receive reboxes of all of them. There's not going to be a rebox of that Sunny/Academy based Cobra, or the big 1/8 Trans Am. 

The one consistent thing I heard at Nats talking to all the manufacturers (Kinetic, Eduard, Revell, Atlantis, etc) was that they've tried their best to hold the prices on inflation based increasss, but in the back half of this year going into 2023 those costs are going to have to be passed along. The idea of "cheap version" of a kit is something of the past.

So are you telling me that European and U.S. version will be priced the same? And my original post said "It Would Be" not "It Will Be" 

46 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

So are you telling me that European and U.S. version will be priced the same? And my original post said "It Would Be" not "It Will Be" 

I'm saying it won't "make it's way into a U.S. Revell box". It will stay in the Revell Euro box and while prices for those in the U.S. can be slightly less (a few bucks at best) in a U.S. Shop compared to buying them in Europe that difference was primarily made up of the currency difference. They are not the $8-12 less kits are when they are indeed reboxed. Euro boxes usually aren't carried at Hobby Lobby either to try to get the 40% action going.

The current Euro MSRP on the kit is $55 US, with most places selling it around $44 US. Compare that to Euro sales of Fujimi kits themselves and even within Europe the EXACT same Fujimi kit (with 1970 Winner livery like the Revell kit) is $11 cheaper at $33 US.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=56647

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=19200

It's not clear what the US retail of the kit will be because while Stevens lists it, they don't have a price for it yet. But I wouldn't expect it to be significantly lower than the $35-40 it would cost to pick up the kit at HobbyLink Japan and ship it over ($19 kit + $15-18 shipping). Minus all the waiting, although the decals will probably be arguably better in the Revell kit if they had Cartograf or Zanchetti print them.

Edited by niteowl7710