Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell in Omaha (2022 IPMS Nats)

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'm saying it won't "make it's way into a U.S. Revell box". It will stay in the Revell Euro box and while prices for those in the U.S. can be slightly less (a few bucks at best) in a U.S. Shop compared to buying them in Europe that difference was primarily made up of the currency difference. They are not the $8-12 less kits are when they are indeed reboxed. Euro boxes usually aren't carried at Hobby Lobby either to try to get the 40% action going.

The current Euro MSRP on the kit is $55 US, with most places selling it around $44 US. Compare that to Euro sales of Fujimi kits themselves and even within Europe the EXACT same Fujimi kit (with 1970 Winner livery like the Revell kit) is $11 cheaper at $33 US.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=56647

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=19200

It's not clear what the US retail of the kit will be because while Stevens lists it, they don't have a price for it yet. But I wouldn't expect it to be significantly lower than the $35-40 it would cost to pick up the kit at HobbyLink Japan and ship it over ($19 kit + $15-18 shipping). Minus all the waiting, although the decals will probably be arguably better in the Revell kit if they had Cartograf or Zanchetti print them.

I do hope it does come with Cartograf decals, they are so nice to work with, and would probably be more accurate. 

My LHS has the Revell AG kits priced quite a bit more than U.S. box style ones. But, I also noticed that the Japanese stuff, at least what has been coming in currently, has dropped in price. The older stock is still a bit high. 

Maybe they can get their hands on the Fujimi versiona at a lower price, but I would still like the AG version with hopefully better decals. 

27 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Is There a Current Boxing of the Steve McQueen, Gulf sponsored Blue/Orange Car out there?

Or do I need to find an older boxing of the kit?

This version is still readily available for the just under $20 at all your finer Japanese Vendors and is one of the cars lent to McQueen to "drive" in the movie (even though the driving of the car was actually done by Works driver Herbert Linge), and the car was later owned by Jerry Seinfield.

10304478p.jpg.013cb3c3fab12ad51bb617402d7f0220.jpg

I'm not aware of any decal sheets in current production that have his character's name on the car, and in the actual filming of the movie the insurance companies wouldn't allow him to drive the 917K in the actual race itself with Jackie Stewart as originally planned.  So all of the footage of him driving was filmed in a Porsche 908/2 which due to all the film changes didn't run enough length to be classified in the 1970 race.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

This version is still readily available for the just under $20 at all your finer Japanese Vendors and is one of the cars lent to McQueen to "drive" in the movie (even though the driving of the car was actually done by Works driver Herbert Linge), and the car was later owned by Jerry Seinfield.

I'm not aware of any decal sheets in current production that have his character's name on the car, and in the actual filming of the movie the insurance companies wouldn't allow him to drive the 917K in the actual race itself with Jackie Stewart as originally planned.  So all of the footage of him driving was filmed in a Porsche 908/2 which due to all the film changes didn't run enough length to be classified in the 1970 race.

Thank You, very Much.

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The 908 with cameras mounted fore and aft was entered in the 1970 Le Mans race to get actual race footage. A GT40 was used as a camera car during the staged filming later in the year.

The Gulf version kit is technically of the car driven by Jo Siffert and Brian Redman in the real race.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things I noticed.

The Pulled Pork, also has some "Pulldozer" markings on the flanks of the rear fenders. Nice to see the name back, if not the stripes. The hood fit on the Pulldozer is awful. And we only see the left side, because we all know what the right side tires will look like.

The Smiley Face on the pumpkin of the roadster. Looks Crooked. Wonder if it was a Last Minute Paint thing or if it will be a decal? The Roadster looks good. That little Huffer, fits the car nicely.

Last, What is with the Beer Barrels on the '39 SD? Will they be in the Kit? Will there be Decals tying the Barrels into the build?

4 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

A couple things I noticed.

The Pulled Pork, also has some "Pulldozer" markings on the flanks of the rear fenders. Nice to see the name back, if not the stripes. The hood fit on the Pulldozer is awful. And we only see the left side, because we all know what the right side tires will look like.

The Smiley Face on the pumpkin of the roadster. Looks Crooked. Wonder if it was a Last Minute Paint thing or if it will be a decal? The Roadster looks good. That little Huffer, fits the car nicely.

Last, What is with the Beer Barrels on the '39 SD? Will they be in the Kit? Will there be Decals tying the Barrels into the build?

I saw another picture somewhere that had large Kentucky decals for the side panels (I'm guessing some sort of bourbon company). The smiley face appears to be painted, it may have just been added by the builder and won't be shown on the box art.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I saw another picture somewhere that had large Kentucky decals for the side panels (I'm guessing some sort of bourbon company). The smiley face appears to be painted, it may have just been added by the builder and won't be shown on the box art.

, , , and people used to flip if a model kit had beer company decals in it. 🍺😄

On 8/1/2022 at 8:35 PM, niteowl7710 said:

The above is the Fujimi kit I have. In my opinion the Gulf 917Ks are still the prettiest versions of the car. Between Steve McQueen’s movie, and Aurora’s sloth cars I’ve been madly in love with these cars ever since. The other 917 I like is the 917-10 Cam-Am version in RC markings. Again influenced by a Aurora slot car. To satisfy my desire for a scale replica of that car, I have AMT’s (originally Matchbox?) 1/32 scale 917-10 kit. And aftermarket RC Cola decals for the kit. One of these days, i need to finish the two kits. 

image.jpg

Edited by unclescott58

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

Honestly both are cool in their own ways and the originals should have been brought back in addition to the new ones. I do find it funny that back then they apparently didn't care enough to photograph the kit from the side with the tires facing the correct direction.

But they are on the other side! LOL! 

Yeah, the new ones are neat, but a bit hokey to me. Either way, glad to see it coming back 

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

I do find it funny that back then they apparently didn't care enough to photograph the kit from the side with the tires facing the correct direction.

It is because they know how badly those tires look for the right side, IMHO.

But, just to prove that it wasn't always so, the Original GMC High Roller Box, with the tires in question.

GMC HIGH ROLLER, Monogram 2273 (1981)

19 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

It is because they know how badly those tires look for the right side, IMHO.

But, just to prove that it wasn't always so, the Original GMC High Roller Box, with the tires in question.

GMC HIGH ROLLER, Monogram 2273 (1981)

I bought that kit back in the day. I was disappointed that it didn't have the wheels that appear on the box. It instead had chrome spoke wheels.

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Strangely Enough, those wheels are in the two most recent issues, The Plow Truck and the Big Game Country pickup.

Notice too, that the wheels are going in opposite directions on the 2 sides.

Those alloy wheels were in the original version and the plow truck. The Big Game Country version has the chrome spoke wheels.

Do you mean the tires? The wheels aren't directional.