Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevy Camaro

Joe Lange

Greetings All,

I like 1st generation/ 1st year automobiles.  Before the designers have to 'Tart them up' for the next model year.  After reading MrObsessive's post from 2018 on Fireball Modelworks beautifully done 1967 Camaro sport wheel covers, it gave me the inspiration for this build. 

Found this AMT '67 Camaro 'started' kit on Ebay.  Everything in the box was untouched except for the really nasty purple paint job on the body.  Put the body in brake fluid overnight and,...presto..., wash it off and CLEAN the next day!  I am building it stock.  No Z-28, SS, or RS.  Just stock with a couple of options that were popular at the time:  Simulated wood grain sport steering wheel, 4-speed transmission with floor shift and center console, 327ci Turbo-Jet V8, and, (of course), sport wheel covers and 14in white wall tires, (also from Fireball Modelworks).  Chevrolet white with a red interior.     

DSC00610.JPG

DSC00614.JPG

DSC00618.JPG

DSC00619.JPG

• Like 8

I like the base model aspect. Nice to see the daily driver's getting some love. Reminds me of a base model, faded, six cylinder 3 speed Camaro that was a staple in the parking lot of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Saw it there for years (maybe decades). Word has it, it belonged to a long time employee. If you've ever been there - you probably saw it!

Question. Didn't the 327 engines have specific valve covers? The ones with the beveled top and the square space in the middle for the decal?

Not criticizing, just asking. 

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I like the base model aspect. Nice to see the daily driver's getting some love. Reminds me of a base model, faded, six cylinder 3 speed Camaro that was a staple in the parking lot of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Saw it there for years (maybe decades). Word has it, it belonged to a long time employee. If you've ever been there - you probably saw it!

Question. Didn't the 327 engines have specific valve covers? The ones with the beveled top and the square space in the middle for the decal?

Hi Patrick.  I did a lot of google searching on '67 327 Camaro engines and you can find them several ways.  No real definitive answer on what was 'correct'.  There were painted, chrome, finned, embossed with 'Chevrolet' on them and decals.  I believe it was how you ordered your 327 and what options, (HP?), you wanted on it.  I know the painted ones were on the 'standard' version, so I went with that. 

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I once owned a 69 with a 327 two barrel and it had the beveled top valve covers with the 327 badge on them.

12 minutes ago, Jack L said:

the 327 2 or 4 barrel had single exhaust in the Camaro

Well..........in that case, since I have already finished the chassis, mine will have dual exhaust.  There was no option in the kit for exhaust.  Just the dual exhaust, so I used it.  The kit was for a Z-28 after all.  Thank for the info Jack!

I am pretty sure that in real life you can totally put the dual exhaust on your Camaro, even if it was powered by a four banger Hyundai. And honestly, that would be my choice, as an iconic Muscle car like this Camaro looks kinda wimpy with a single exhaust. 

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Reminds me of a base model, faded, six cylinder 3 speed Camaro

There was a similar 1969 model the next street over from where I grew up: strippo 6 banger with 3-on-the-tree! Blue-on-blue, hubcaps, no radio, etc. It had 1970 licence plates (first letter was an 'A'), which indicated that it was sold as a "leftover" (late-1969-build date) model, before the mid-1970 arrival of the 1970 1/2 Camaro.

I've likely seen that car you're referring to. On a field trip to Griffith Observatory in 1982 (grade 6), I likely saw it (though it doesn't stand out in me mind at this moment).

1 minute ago, 1972coronet said:

I've likely seen that car you're referring to. On a field trip to Griffith Observatory in 1982 (grade 6), I likely saw it (though it doesn't stand out in me mind at this moment).

First time I saw it was in the late 80s early 90s, parked in one of the handicap spots near the front of the building. Last time I took my family there was 7-8 years ago and it was still there!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

First time I saw it was in the late 80s early 90s, parked in one of the handicap spots near the front of the building. Last time I took my family there was 7-8 years ago and it was still there!

WOW! Still there! That is wild! I love seeing "driver-survivor" cars, still piloted by their original (ostensibly) owner. Reminds me much of a former coworker/friend's 1970 Swinger 340 -- his daily driver from spring 1970 until c.2001. Faded, oxidised green paint; cracked and faded (decal) original tail stripe; 1972-vintage Cragar S/S; and original interior.
Gorgeous.

edited to reflect the year  he started driving it.

Edited by 1972coronet

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

One of the nicest factory tillers ever! Is that a P.E. spoke set, or did you modify the kit part? I positively love that interior! Great colour choice, and beautifully executed.

Actually John, the wheel is a little of both.  The spoke section and horn button is from 'Model Car Garage's' '67/'68 Camaro photo etch detail set and the rim is from the steering wheel in the kit.  I used the MCG detail set for different parts in the interior.  Used clear embossing powder on the floor and sprayed the dash, tub, and bucket seats with Tamyia primer and Testors flat red.  The front seat were a pain in the a$$!  Wonder if anybody else had this issue.  The front buckets are supposed to be 'low backs'.  They should only come up slightly higher than the top of the doors.  After assembling, 'cleaning up'/sanding, priming and painting, I put them in the tub and........their TOO TALL!  They look like they have built in head restraints!  Really goofy looking!  Stripped them down and cut a center section out of the seat backs.  I know you should test fit but, never thought about oversized seats!  Oh well.  Thanks for the complements on the interior.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It looks like you're trying to do a nice job with this model, so let me point you to my tutorial on how to do a few easy, fast modifications that add a lot of accuracy to the body of this kit: 

Rats!  I wish I'd had seen your article before I painted the body.  Well...at least I haven't gone any further.  Thank you, Richard for sending it to me.  I am going to study this very carefully.

It will probably be well worth stripping the new paint and doing the body correctly.  

Thanks guys, for all the complements and comments!  After reviewing Snake45's tutorial on 'AMT '67/'68 Camaro Improvements', it seems there are a few alterations I would like to do.  So...it's time for a brake fluid bath!   

This what I really like about this forum.  The comments, suggestions, and tips on building a better model.  Thanks again to all!

3 hours ago, Joe Lange said:

After reviewing Snake45's tutorial on 'AMT '67/'68 Camaro Improvements', it seems there are a few alterations I would like to do. 

Yes, a little bit of a PITA, especially if you have to strip the body to do it, but I think you'll be pleased with the improvement. And once you've done them, they'll be done for the rest of time. B)

On 7/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Patrick, a buddy of mine had a plain 68 with a 6 cyl with a power glide and no console ore other options. He took the wheel covers off for American racing wheels 🛞.   I wanted that car so bad to rebuild the engine and replace the carpet and keep it stock. A nurse owed it and just needed some attention. Well my friend ran into a pick up and threw a rod threw the 6 and painted yellow over the dark gold and destroyed a perfect one owner..

22 hours ago, Joe Lange said:

Thanks guys, for all the complements and comments!  After reviewing Snake45's tutorial on 'AMT '67/'68 Camaro Improvements', it seems there are a few alterations I would like to do.  So...it's time for a brake fluid bath!   

This what I really like about this forum.  The comments, suggestions, and tips on building a better model.  Thanks again to all!

i will be following your Camaro build I like 67/68 Camaros!