Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)

Well...it's been an adventure, getting to this update. The teal on the nose never settled properly, and, I noticed that the ink had run, beneath the clear. Off comes that! The next attempt, I discovered that the ink had run, previously, because the Krylon clear was too "heavy" and stiff, and it had cracked, going over the tricky curves of the hood. I printed another couple of decals, and, this time, I shot them with Testors MM semi-gloss clear. I also slit the tip of the decal, to aid in its conformity. By this point, the bump on the nose of the hood had become somewhat uneven--something I discovered when I applied the third decal. The second and third decals were only the teal-colored portion of the scheme. I decided against stripping the body, and accepted that the teal would be a tad bumpy. Then, the nose slit didn't close up, like I planned (Hey, what else is new?!😄). I cut the tip of a new teal decal and applied it across the nose, to hide the slit. Okay, I'll live with it--it's not perfect, but, it's not horrible, either...

Somewhere, during all of that, it dawned on me that I didn't have a name for the car. No proper Super Gasser from 1984 would be without a name. It took a couple of days of tumbling words over in my head before I finally determined to go with "Star" something, given that Vega is a star. The Foreigner song popped into my head, and I had the name. I found a font I liked, and messed around with designs, until I came up with something I had a reasonable chance of cutting out by hand--I've heard a Cricut machine works well, for cutting these things out, but even after five years, I still haven't made the effort to learn to use mine!😂 Without any further ado, here's "Star Rider".

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Name Decals, Graphics Completed! (10/22)
On 10/22/2022 at 8:38 PM, Ian McLaren said:

The car is looking great!  Love the name and where it came from.   The altered is going to be Psychotic Reaction.

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate it! I like that name. It's perfect for a fuel altered!

16 hours ago, John B. said:

Your Vega 's paint job came out very nice - I remember when the song was first released!

Thanks, John Michael! I saw them on that tour. They opened for Ted Nugent at the Tarrant County Convention Center, in Ft. Worth, in July of '77.

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--More Decals, Headlights, Signal Lights (10/24)
3 hours ago, majel said:

Love the color and the name!  The body color and the decal colors scream 1977 leisure suit!!  Reminds me of senior year of high school and the Saturday drags at Beeline Dragway in Arizona.  Great job.

Hahaha (re: leisure suit)! Great! Now I can't un-see that! Fernwood 2 Nite, anyone? Thanks, Jim. I appreciate your comments!

Edited by Straightliner59

18 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The car is looking great, and is very believable.   Every so often it all comes together and a model looks "Just right" stance, color and details play a part but there is something more. You seem to have captured that feeling in the model.

Wow. Thank you, Ian. I really appreciate that! 

I got the taillights made and installed. Still some cleanup to do, on the foil. I used cigarette foil (You can buy the same stuff at the craft store, by the roll.) for the inner texture/reflectors. The lenses are .020 clear PET with decals I drew and printed. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Taillights (10/29)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Foiling Begun, Rear Bumper Installed (10/31)
20 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice job Daniel, the car looks very believable as many have mentioned, the color shame remind me the famous Gapp & Roush Pinto. 👍

Thank you, Francis. It's good to hear from you! The blue does seem similar, now that you mention it. I've always thought it would be cool to do their 4-door car!

17 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Looks great.Wow that thing just pops with the decals put on…

Thanks, Ron. Yeah, I was a little surprised at how much difference it made, just adding more of the contingencies.

11 hours ago, John B. said:

Awesome; simply awesome!

Thank you, John Michael! It's getting close. Once I build the window netting, I can install the interior...

I got most of the foil done (I'm horrible, at this!), except for the door handles, and locks, and the nose emblem. Windows are in, but still need a little clean-up.. I've started work on the 'chute. It's almost time to make a punch list!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Foiling Done, Glass Installed (11/02)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Window Netting Fabrication (11/03)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Window Netting Set In Place (11/04)

I got the interior in, without a problem. I wanted the net to be/look a little loose, like it was partially unattached. I got a little more than I wanted, but, I can live with it. It's all on the wheels. I'm working on the 'chute and mount. I have to get the class markings and comp numbers on it, and I want to make a decal for a "local" sponsor, for the hatch. There's a bit of foil work to do, and some touchup, but, it looks pretty much as it will, upon completion. Your comments, questions and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--All Together, Now (11/05)

The model looks great!  Nice work and colors…a real treat for the eyes. 

I purchased a 1974 Vega GT, green with white lettering and black interior, new off the showroom floor. 4 speed, posi track rear and lots of extras on it. Really enjoyed this car and didn’t have the rust problem some folks experienced…however, after 3 years I traded it away when, during a tuneup, the technician told me one of the spark plugs was seized in the aluminum head. Not good news at all ‘cause I liked that car. 
Joe

4 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

The model looks great!  Nice work and colors…a real treat for the eyes. 

I purchased a 1974 Vega GT, green with white lettering and black interior, new off the showroom floor. 4 speed, posi track rear and lots of extras on it. Really enjoyed this car and didn’t have the rust problem some folks experienced…however, after 3 years I traded it away when, during a tuneup, the technician told me one of the spark plugs was seized in the aluminum head. Not good news at all ‘cause I liked that car. 
Joe

Thanks, Joe! I've never owned one, but I've always had a thing for the H-bodies! Thanks for checking in!

• Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)