Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD NOOZE REDUX

fordsixty

well, i ran into a problem with my thunderbird pig. the chassis was moving along; however, i just cannot see how the front end should look like. i want it to still retain that '69 look but with a massive front spoiler and splitter. it will come to me, just not yet. sooooo.....

this kit somehow knew i was stuck and just called out, "BUILD ME" (little house of horrors) ;)

DSC00638.jpg

so i pulled it off the shelf and started contemplating a look and a plan. i knew it had to be a road racing pig but what. something simple ( i did not want another big scratchbuilding project ). i looked at my other kits for ideas. VIOLA. a Monogram 1/24th NASCAR thunderbird. i pulled the chassis out and by cutting a quarter of an inch off the back and the frame horns off the front, it fit perfectly. exact wheelbase and track. so i started.

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

that little spoiler will be cleaned up and braces added. it will be the support for a clear spoiler that will be alot taller.

DSC00633.jpg

a little wild but i think it still works.

i had originally planned on using a 60 degree little chevy V6 out of an ASA Camaro. my brother suggested a BIG BLOCK V6. i thought about it, perfect. i sectioned two cylinders from the motor out of the '66 pro street Chevelle. made the valve covers, intake, headers, water pump, and other little items and tah-dah.....

DSC00631.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

a 440 cubic inch V6. ( a 572 minus two cylinders ) <_<

DSC00637.jpg

here is underneath. got the exhaust done today. most of the bottom will be covered by carbon fiber panels and diffuser. still needs a little detail but it is getting there.

so what do you guys think?

oh yeah, i was going to paint it in Gulf colors but now i have a whole new idea. i want to paint it grand sport blue with white stripes and red pinstriping. reason being, i like this car so much that i have decided to build a '54 ford ( white with blue stripes, like a GT 350 ) and an early 50s dodge ( red with white stripe ). see the connection? big three, red, white and blue. should be cool.

anyway, hope you like it.

Edited by fordsixty

thanks for the nice words. i never know if my wacky ideas will be accepted or not. <_<

as far as the lousy kit goes, the body has flaws but it is workable. the body is the best part of the kit and that, along with the windows, is usually all i need.

for the flares, i form the shape with .020 x .020 square evergreen ( yeaaa, evergreen ) and fill with .040 sheet. i use the thick stuff so i can round the corners. once the glue dries, i fill with evercoat metal glaze. it is so smooth and very workable. sand and coat with filler primer. the front ones were the hardest. hope this helps.

again thanks guys. i will keep you posted.

.....so what do you guys think?

oh yeah, i was going to paint it in Gulf colors but mow i have a whole new idea. i want to paint it grand sport blue with white stripes and red pinstriping. reason being, i like this car so much that i have decided to build a '54 ford ( white with blue stripes, like a GT 350 ) and an early 50s dodge ( red with white stripe ). see the connection? big three, red, white and blue. should be cool.

anyway, hope you like it.

:D Like it? Dude, I LOVE it!! and your BIG 3 red, white, & blue idea!

(probably oughta have some guvmint greeen in there too B) ) :P

Can't wait to see 'em all together! :D

MAN....if you have been around this hobby for a few, there are some of us that can walk into a room, say a NNL. Can look over all of the cars at the show, see something sitting on the table and just know who built it. I am a big fan of your creative style. To achieve the look that you try to obtain, which entails alot of wild body mods etc. and to make it all look right is no easy task. My friend you make it look so easy. Another wild project you got goin on there....cant wait to see it done B)

I can't believe I missed this? I love everything that comes off your bench, always my tastes. ;) This kind of reminds me of a 49 Ford in Grassroots Motorsports that was slammed with 90's Caprice cop car parts, engine/transmission, suspension). ;) Your motors are always so wicked.

Maybe this can compete against the 31? huh? :P

Man I love this Chevy! When someone said, "Who wants creativity? You said, "Give me a tanker full!" I really dig the Big Block V-6. That takes the cake.

I haven't built this kit but it has always interested me. My Aunt had one when I was a kid. I've seen several 1:1 cars fixed up and always liked them, mostly because you don't see them everywhere.

Gary

thanks.jpg

it is cool hearing everyone's comments.

Jay; i really appreciate the observation. coming from someone with your talent and style is great.

John; i like the way you think. how about a hudson with a big turbo, flat head six in greenback green with white stripes? :D

i see that working.

George; your current prescription is working just fine. :lol:

Nick; how about a picture of that '49?

and you think this would be a good race, huh?

DSC00640.jpg

naw, the '31 is not finished yet. B) headlights, taillight, interior,....

i will probably start on her next week. i need them both done by next month. show season starts and i did not get a lot built ( read nothing ). really want to put something new on the tables. and no, they are not show queens; too rough.

Edited by fordsixty

B):P I love that picture! New wallpaper

The '49 might be a while but I was thinking maybe using an IMSA Mustang kit or maybe the C6R, not sure.

I don't know, now that I see them side by side, the 31 might take it. :lol:

That would be really sweet if you could make it to the NNL East :D

hey scott, we are on the same sheet of music.

a real nice fleetline you got there. i like the rear fenders with the stone guards. only thing missing is a rear wing, some sponsorship and head to the races. cool stuff. maybe you should put it "under glass" so we could see more. ;)

started masking and painting my latest pig. using Testors deja blue. beautiful color. hope to have pictures this weekend.

hey gary, that is funny, my aunt had a 4 door '54 when i was a kid.

Edited by fordsixty

Dale,

Great minds, huh? :o I really like the stuff you do. Mine tend to run to the street side - hence the lack of wings and candy paint on the 51. Nick, the rims are Fujimi aftermarkets from the 90s.

I also did a 37 Chevy/Indy blend in candy yellow along the same lines. Both are pretty old now. I'll put some pics under glass.

It is a blast to blend genres like this. Your 31 A is awesome as well.

I've got a couple more ideas in the books that are more on the race side. One is 49 Ford/ GTP. And how about this Mustang/Tyrell mix? I have the 1/12 and 1/20 Tyrell, but would need to do a LOT of fab on the mustang body. These would be m ore race cars like yours.

LR6wheelmustanggtp1_-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Can't wait to see the next shots of your road pig. The V6 is killer too.

Scott