Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Camaro SS...update w/new pics 1/20/2007!!!

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

I'm in a curbside building mood and the first one that's getting built is a resin 1970 Camaro SS from Reliable Resin. This one's a repop of the uber-rare MPC kit, which was a one year wonder. MPC changed the tooling in 1971 to the Rally Sport with the split front bumperettes.

100_0806-vi.jpg

I'm building it with the ducktail rear spoiler which GM used before the three piece wraparound unit was introduced. The chrome bumper is only for the pics as I have mastered a new unit that Reliable will be incorporating in this trans kit very soon.

100_0807-vi.jpg

I have filled the side marker lites and removed the SS emblems. The SS emblems will be replaced with decals. I'm leaning toward big and little Pegasus Torque Thrusts with grey spokes like I used on my '69 Chevelle SS. Paint will be HOK Goldmine Pearl with black Fred Cady SS stripes.

100_0808-vi.jpg

I also mastered a new front spoiler that Reliable will be offering soon, along with a new three piece rear spoiler. I'll be using the new front spoiler on this one.

My plan is to build several curbsides each year. It's too easy to get bogged down in the details when you do a full detail build. I really want to increase my output because there are way too many cars I want to build and one or two a year is not cutting it. They all look the same on the shelf!

Enjoy...I am!!!

Say Marc, is the grille and front bumper separate or molded as one piece??? Got any pics?

Sure do...

100_0810-vi.jpg

That's the beauty of this kit versus the original AMT '70-73 Camaro kits. The front bumper and grille are separate pieces. The transkit that Reliable Resin offers comes with the SS grille, clear headlights and your choice of clear or amber turn signals. The grille on the right is a plain, emblemless grille that I mastered and Reliable sells as an optional part for this kit.

I'm building this one as an SS model, but I'll be building others, like a Z28, using the plain grille. And with a little luck today, this one will be wearing some HOK Goldmine Pearl by the time the sun sets here in Oklahoma.

I just pulled this one out of the paint booth and took some pics. Four airbrushed coats of HOK Goldmine Pearl over Plastikote grey primer. FWIW, I used a $15 Testors external mix airbrush :lol: :!:

100_0817-vi.jpg

100_0816-vi.jpg

100_0818-vi.jpg

I'm gonna let it dry a few days before applying my first coat of Tamiya TS-13 clear. Then I will apply a mixture of Fred Cady and Keith Marks decals and bury them in more clear.

Enjoy!!!

Made a little progress on the Camaro this week. Got the body cleared in anticipation of laying down some black SS stripes. Detailed the grille tonight with some BMF and a Fred Cady SS decal.

100_0821-vi.jpg

And, this interior arrived via Priority Mail from Reliable Resin on Friday:

100_0823-vi.jpg

It's the new race style interior for MPC '70-81 Camaros and Firebirds from Reliable Resin. I have visions of some custom door panels, some subs and an amp in the back, and some pro touring style sport seats. The latter are in route from Reliable Resin and will be shown here next week.

More to come....

Tonight, the Camaro started to earn its stripes!!!

100_0824-vi.jpg

I was planning on using Fred Cady decals but there were two problems with them. First, they were too wide for this 1:25 scale Camaro and second, the rear stripes are only long enough to cover the decklid WITHOUT the rear spoiler!:x

So, I found my Keith Marks decal set for the '70-73 Camaros and they are perfect. :D The rears are long enough to fit with either the duck tail or three piece spoiler. I applied some Microscale Liquid Decal Film over the decal before applying it to the car. I have found that the decal film will help protect the decals from those harmful lacquer solvents. Not a total cure all but it helps.

I'm doing one stripe per night in order to get things right. Used Microset and a hair drier to get the decal to snug down into the hood vent. Still might apply some Microsol after the decals are good and dry. I also masked and painted the cowl vent under the decal area with some black paint.

Enjoy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've updated this post. Decals are on including the SS emblems on the front fenders. Got it on its wheels this evening...19" and 23" Pegasus T's that will have Testors Gunmetal Metalizer spokes tomorrow. Weather is spectacular in Oklahoma this weekend, so I'm hoping to shoot the Tamiya gloss clear on Sunday afternoon too.

100_0827-vi.jpg

100_0828-vi.jpg

100_0831-vi.jpg

I may take a whippin' over this one, but pleeeeeeeeeez go back to the original wheels you posted at the beginning.

I love TTs, but they are literally everywhere and IMHO they don't compliment your work the way the first ones did.

I'll spare you the whippipn' on this one, but I'm following a theme that started with my '72 Nova SS and continued with my '69 Chevelle SS.

100_0354-vi.jpg

100_0548-vi.jpg

Those Aoshimas that I used in the first mock up picture are "da bomb" and not to worry, they WILL show up on another build.

Final update for the weekend. With fantabulous weather in Oklahoma this weekend, I got the Camaro cleared with Tamiya TS-13. While the paint was gassing out, I worked on the rims. First, I applied Micro-Mark liquid mask to the rims and center caps. After about 90 minutes in the Nesco, I gave them a light coat of Tamiya grey primer, then I fired up the compressor and airbrushed three coats of Testors Gunmetal Metalizer. After I removed the liquid mask from the rims, I removed the Camaro from the Nesco and mocked it up once more for the camera.

100_0835-vi.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Started to work on the interior. Using the new Reliable Resin Gen 2 F-Body race interior, I decided to make it a little bit more streetable.

100_0823-vi.jpg

Like I did on my '69 Chevelle SS, I raided a new issue kit for detail parts. In this case, an AMT '70.5 Baldwin Motion Camaro donated its door panels. Here's a pic of the passenger side door panel.

100_0839-vi.jpg

As for the slanted rear deck, it will be fitted with some subs and an amp and I have some nice sport seats from a Subaru WRX for driver comfort.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Polished the paint tonight and gave the car a name..."Project Gold Standard". The gold is obvious and it is a standard front end Camaro.

100_0852-vi.jpg

Paint is HOK Goldmine Pearl airbrushed over Plastikote grey primer and cleared with Tamiya TS-13. Polished with Micro-Mesh 4000, 6000 and Wizard's Finish Cut. Yes, it was that easy.

100_0851-vi.jpg

Enjoy!!!